Prog Premiership 2013 FULL

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: Prog Premiership 2013 FULL

Postby fange » 21 Mar 2013, 00:51

Thanks for taking this on, t-ce!

I think it would be great to play everyone once, but i know a lot of people have reservations about too many songs at once, and worries about it dragging on forever.
Like t-ce said, maybe a 10 or even better a 12 round season might be the go... with 2 matches posted a day, Monday to Friday? You get to play most people that way, and 4 songs to check out a day isn't too hard - it'll go on for a few months but since when has time been a problem in prog, right? :)

kath wrote:er... i haven't made a list yet. hell's a poppin over here. how long we got? i don't wanna hold things up.

lord rother wants in. judgin from his avatar, he is letting a groundhog drive angry. maybe we oughtta let him in.

Started my list on Monday, sent in my first 10 yesterday - all prog killer, no prog filler.

I let my groundhogs drive for me all the time - in fact, i let them do most things for me, including picking my prog list. Sure, in winter they get a bit carried away looking for moonlight shadows, but most of the time i thank Christ for the little buggers - solid, dependable rodents. Rats are too flighty.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 21 Mar 2013, 02:32

So like kaff asked, what's the deadline? My sister is running me ragged here. Tomorry it's a flower show at Epcot in Orlando. Dunno if I'll get it sent in tonite.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 21 Mar 2013, 03:06

Submitted. Disregard previous post.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Mar 2013, 04:29

Loki wrote:So like kaff asked, what's the deadline? My sister is running me ragged here. Tomorry it's a flower show at Epcot in Orlando. Dunno if I'll get it sent in tonite.

End of March is fine as I'm still faffing about with organising my spreadsheet but I'll start as soon as they're all in.

Loki wrote:Submitted. Disregard previous post.

Thanks

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Mar 2013, 06:40

Does it matter if it takes the best part of a year to complete? Surely, it's the journey of discovery that's important and not the destination? We're going to visit BCB most days, so let this forum be an extension of Prog Corner, with lots of opportunity for discussion and observation along the way.

Don't be too hasty:

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 21 Mar 2013, 07:20

soundchaser wrote:Does it matter if it takes the best part of a year to complete? Surely, it's the journey of discovery that's important and not the destination? We're going to visit BCB most days, so let this forum be an extension of Prog Corner, with lots of opportunity for discussion and observation along the way.

Don't be too hasty:

Not all of us visit Prog Corner everyday. Apathy will soon creep in if it goes on too long. If it's going to go on an on and on then I'm out. It should be a special once a year thing, over in a couple of months. Don't forget that some of us also do the BCB Cup.

If 20 is too much, then why not have two groups of ten and then a play off (prog off?!!) between the top two from each group? Post one match from each group every night. I'm sure we can find the time to listen to four tracks.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 21 Mar 2013, 08:05

BlueMeanie wrote:
If 20 is too much, then why not have two groups of ten and then a play off (prog off?!!) between the top two from each group? Post one match from each group every night. I'm sure we can find the time to listen to four tracks.

Wise counsel from the Prog King. The one against one nature of the contests is preserved, the overall length of the competition is halved and four tracks at a a time is not too demanding . Plus there's the excitement ( :D ) of seeing which group you're drawn in and the secondary prize of winning your group even if you then get thrashed in the final.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 21 Mar 2013, 08:26

Let's not also forget that for most of us, we probably won't have to listen to all selections because we know them. I'm not going to be listening to Close To The Edge if posted, for example. Unless I'm particularly in the mood. And I certainly won't be listening to any of Carlsson's Gentle Giant picks ;)
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Mar 2013, 09:09

whodathunkit wrote:
BlueMeanie wrote:

Wise counsel from the Prog King. The one against one nature of the contests is preserved, the overall length of the competition is halved and four tracks at a a time is not too demanding . Plus there's the excitement ( :D ) of seeing which group you're drawn in and the secondary prize of winning your group even if you then get thrashed in the final.

I like this idea.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Mar 2013, 09:47

trans-chigley express wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:
BlueMeanie wrote:
I like this idea.

Yes, not a bad idea at all. Not too hasty and yet, not too slow either. For those that don't have the staying power of a proper league season, this Is a reasonable compromise.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 21 Mar 2013, 09:53

And having two groups would mean only having to pick 9 tracks. Which could get us started quicker.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 21 Mar 2013, 12:24

Chiggers, sorry to be thick but how do you want to receive these gems? Looking back at my PM from last year, I did the usual link business but then, in the actual competition, they were opened up as proper You-tube videos. Does it matter? Should I be bothered?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Mar 2013, 12:33

whodathunkit wrote:Chiggers, sorry to be thick but how do you want to receive these gems? Looking back at my PM from last year, I did the usual link business but then, in the actual competition, they were opened up as proper You-tube videos. Does it matter? Should I be bothered?

The link way is ok. I put them up as proper you-tube clips on the threads as there's only two songs but a list of 10 songs in a pm is perhaps easier as a link. It's easy to change no matter how it's sent.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Mar 2013, 12:37

I'm going to adopt to the two leagues of 10 idea with the winners going into a final, perhaps a best of 3 type of thing. So with a group of ten 9 songs are needed. It also means I can adopt the same spreadsheet I used last time and just make a copy and save me some work :)

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 21 Mar 2013, 12:38

trans-chigley express wrote:I'm going to adopt to the two leagues of 10 idea with the winners going into a final, perhaps a best of 3 type of thing. So with a group of ten 9 songs are needed. It also means I can adopt the same spreadsheet I used last time and just make a copy and save me some work :)

Excellent idea! I should be able to get mine to you sometime today then.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Mar 2013, 15:58

fangedango! wrote:
kath wrote:er... i haven't made a list yet. hell's a poppin over here. how long we got? i don't wanna hold things up.

lord rother wants in. judgin from his avatar, he is letting a groundhog drive angry. maybe we oughtta let him in.

Started my list on Monday, sent in my first 10 yesterday - all prog killer, no prog filler.

I let my groundhogs drive for me all the time - in fact, i let them do most things for me, including picking my prog list. Sure, in winter they get a bit carried away looking for moonlight shadows, but most of the time i thank Christ for the little buggers - solid, dependable rodents. Rats are too flighty.

oh good god yes. those flighty rats. and if ya let em out in the middle of the night in winter to play baseball, they get all rat bat blue on ya, the lil bitches.

p.s. i have submitted my nine. THE nine. all prog/wellproggish yummy and no prog/wellproggish bummy.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Mar 2013, 16:41

kath wrote:
p.s. i have submitted my nine. THE nine.

I submitted my ten yesterday, so I'm going to have to withdraw one: John Denver, or Olivia Newton John...I can't decide which one is a bit too broad church. John at the beginning, or John at the end? It's a tough call.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Mar 2013, 17:15

soundchaser wrote:
kath wrote:
p.s. i have submitted my nine. THE nine.

I submitted my ten yesterday, so I'm going to have to withdraw one: John Denver, or Olivia Newton John...I can't decide which one is a bit too broad church. John at the beginning, or John at the end? It's a tough call.

it's hard, i know.

i would think john at the end is the way to go... as we have a majority of male pervs around here. it's all about the art.

C
Robust

Re: Prog Premiership 2013 SIGN UP

Postby C » 21 Mar 2013, 18:02

soundchaser wrote:My original idea was that competitors submit songs that they think might appeal to like minded prog fans, irrespective of whether it's actually prog.

Agreed - broad church Prog Corner stuff....???

Ray?

soundchaser wrote:Very nice indeed [Levitation boxset], C’s mate Ginger Baker tubbing it out with full gusto.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 21 Mar 2013, 20:33

Mine's in.