The glorious return of Bitter Recriminations

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Re: The glorious return of Bitter Recriminations

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 23 Jan 2013, 22:05

This bitter recriminations jive is not for me. Just bald facts. Beaten by a list of usual BCB suspects - Pixies, Triffids, Smiths, Bowie, Bush, Sigur Ros, Elvis 'i'm at everyone's fucking party' Costello. A list designed by marketing consultants who have studied the BCB taste spectrum. The fact that I have music by all these artists (even the horrid Costello for some misguided reason) should not count. Listen to any track on my list, say Charles Bradley's excellent cover of Heart Of Gold, with that great sharp, horny, funky backing. Then try and tell me that track alone is not better then the entirety of list A. Squared! Nay, Cubed.
king of the divan

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 24 Jan 2013, 02:45

Qube wrote:La Sera's Sees the Light was my favourite album of 2012, and how could you vote against the goddess that is Katy Goodman? Do your black hearts know no limits?

Didn't vote for your list sir.... but I did order this record.

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 24 Jan 2013, 15:19

Clint Planet wrote:
Apollo's Frock wrote:
Can't wait! :o

Though I'm not usually bitter.

Feelings should not be spared. Personal dignity should be of no concern. No metaphorical teacup should remain unthrown. Extra-points for small-mindedness.

When I do get knocked out, bet he writes something like Apollo Defrocked. :roll:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Jan 2013, 15:20

mentalist (slight return) wrote:A list designed by marketing consultants who have studied the BCB taste spectrum.

Good one. Succinct and scathing.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 01:47

List A

The Smiths – Oscillate Wildly – link
The Cure – A Forest – link
Siouxsie & the Banshees – Happy House - link
Julian Cope – Charlotte Anne – link
Mission of Burma - That's when I reach for my Revolver - link
Suicide - Ghost Rider - link
The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray - link
Gang of Four – Damaged Goods - link
The Jam – Going Underground - link
Wire - Map Ref. 41°N 93°W - link

List B

Intruder - Peter Gabriel link
Schoolgirl - The Hollies link
Fool in Love - The Veltones link
Crying Shame - Madness link
Mind Over Matter - Nolan Strong & the Diablos link
You Rascal You - Hanni El Khatib link
Father Cannot Yell - Can link
Revolution - Spacemen 3 link
I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges link
I Want Some of That - Kai Ray link

You are a truly sad lot. When I saw the list I was up against, I knew there would be trouble. Not because my list was inferior, or that the other list was brilliant, but because of the demographic here and the AGE of so many posters.

There is a certain sadness and loss that creeps into many folks lives around forty... they wish to relive what they had when they were young. This is especially true of those sad cases who have never accomplished anything greater than their initial unfulfilled promise. They long for simpler times and simpler ideas, and simpler music. They got it. Of course those simpler times are gone, as my opponent's list will be in the next round (even though I myself may vote for it, considering the amount of bullshit and garbage showing up on lists that are making it through this year).

Yes those simpler times (for you simpler folks) are over. You can't get your youth back. Look in the mirror and examine what you see. Do you like it, or have you disappointed yourself once again? You are no longer inching towards your grave, now it is getting quicker and closer, take a whiff, you can smell the moldy earth that will be your eternal bed... Adam Ant is eligible for a pension now, and so are you. Your youth is spent and you never really flew. You think you were different, creative, and would stand out from the crowd, that you had deeper thoughts and more soul. You didn't, you're a fucking sheep, you voted with the "cool" kids who didn't care much for music, other than soccer chants in the terraces. You couldn't be bothered with clicking a link that might have taken you down a more interesting path. You played it safe, because you couldn't be bothered. People like you disgust people like me.

And those of you who abstained, saying you couldn't find anything worthwhile... well, you are lower than low. Fucking Philistines who couldn't even go along with the goddamn sheep. Why are you here? Do you even like music?

And those of you who thought my opponent brave for being so narrow in their choices, a cup list from the past, are you serious? Is it brave to rehash what is tried and true? Is it brave to submit a themed list every year like C does? No, it's a joke. Funny if you are the originator like Carlsson, but lame when it's copied.

It was a list for those of you who liked Coupling, Friends, and sad televison of the 90's that you watched because you were too chickenshit or uncool to go out to the club or disco and get made fun of because you wanted to hear some (cough) "new wave". You never really evolved, you stagnated, you're wilting, and you will be dead soon as winter is coming for you.

I would not be surprised if the prog prankster, Carlsson has slipped by here, submitting the other list, as his updated version of a joke - an iTunes Genius list of indie music.

Now, I on the other hand, will never get old. I may be titled a "shameless canonist", but I am anything but. I will hear music today that you never dreamt of (and would be afraid of), I will continue to circle the globe, and introducing my newborn daughter to tastes, smells, experiences, and sounds that you almost tried when you were young. Almost tried, but were too afraid to, you are zombies... the walking dead. I pity your sorry asses for a mere second, then I forget you even existed, except as for a warning to my daughter as to who not to become.
the Eagles suck.

mission

Postby mission » 25 Jan 2013, 02:10

Fucking globe-circler.

Sensational rant, by the way - genuine bitterness, real rancour. 10/10.
Goodness gracious me.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 02:16

mission wrote:Fucking globe-circler.

Sensational rant, by the way - genuine bitterness, real rancour. 10/10.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My first time ever first round exit needed something special!
the Eagles suck.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 25 Jan 2013, 05:24

Matty Red Sox wrote:There is a certain sadness and loss that creeps into many folks lives around forty... they wish to relive what they had when they were young. This is especially true of those sad cases who have never accomplished anything greater than their initial unfulfilled promise.

Harsh but fair. :?

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 05:44

mission wrote:Fucking Globe-Circler.

If there are any mods who happen by, I'd like to have my "Shameless Canonist" title changed to this quote from mission....
the Eagles suck.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Jan 2013, 06:05

Excellent rant, Matt, and really liked your list.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 06:13

fangedango! wrote:Excellent rant, Matt, and really liked your list.

:D

Something good came out of this cup... but if that was YJ that beat me, expect a flounce!
the Eagles suck.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 25 Jan 2013, 12:15

Matty Red Sox wrote:Almost tried, but were too afraid to, you are zombies... the walking dead. I pity your sorry asses for a mere second, then I forget you even existed, except as for a warning to my daughter as to who not to become.

You got the artist song thing the wrong way round, who was going to vote for that??
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2013, 13:07

At least this year I didn't get defeated by the fucking Wombles....this defeat felt a whole lot sweeter somehow.

Every year I go out and wear my heart on my sleeve when compiling a Cup-list. See, I know what a successful list should look like- pair the known with a bit of the unknown, mix a few styles up, beware of modern crap and prostitute yourself to the lowest common denominators on these boards. Yes, every list is like a whore on the lookout for a suitor, where the ones spreading their legs the widest will catch the most attention...see how the sluts prance around with their big booties of funk 'n soul, their massive tits filled with garagerock and obscure 60s rock (preferable with the denominator Nugget on 'em) and see the juices flow down their legs courtesy of the NME/Melody Maker-trimmed bush of their indie-rock-preened vulvas. See how they stick their ass up, courting the massive dicks of the so-called BCB-music intelligentsia with their dumbfuck talk about 'what a whore should look like to get up the social ladder into Round Two' with their previous Cup-successes tattooed on the shaft, hungry to plug the holes and get a quick fix of exhilaration...while the true mistresses of love, the ones that caress and gently guide you into a cave of moist, pleasurable goodness are being scorned, ousted amongst outcries of 'I don't have time to click on your links' or 'you are not black enough' or 'you are too narrow'....they will have left with shame yet they leave with a dignity in the knowledge that the people who scorn her will not know the full pleasure of her company...as they will proceed to go back to their preferred harlots and see how over the following rounds their tits will shrink, their mounds will dry up and leave them with a dour taste and a few stubborn hairs in their mouths....and then they will remember the treasure left behind but it will be far too late then.....

And for the ultimate satisfaction and knowledge...when the new rounds arrive and the expanded lists parade around, remember the comments given to you...the quick dismissals, the ones voting for you just picking a few tracks they like....but no one, NO-ONE can boast the kind of compliment I got in my Cup-tie:

kath wrote:A, whoever you are, i wanna ::smack:: you. i wasn't familiar with a single song on this list, but it is easily my fave list so far. it's utterly fantastic. starting from the gorgeous popol vuh track, i was hooked, and nowhere did i get dropped. i can't remember ever having a cup list i wanted to hear twice, on the spot.. my own lists included, mwhaha. it takes the prize for playlist sequence, as well. the way it moves, the vibe, it never slips.

beautiful, all the way around.

Suck on that, motherfuckers!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 13:14

kath?!?! you could have had the pixies on there and she'd have said that...

no offense, kath
the Eagles suck.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2013, 13:30

Matty Red Sox wrote:kath?!?! you could have had the pixies on there and she'd have said that...

For someone to come in and knowing zilch about this list, taking the time to click on the links (unlike some douchebags around here) and loving the full list unconditionally?
Considering the remainder of the comments around here it's extraordinary.
And kath will rip you to shreds when she sees that...I'll be off to get some popcorn for that moment.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 25 Jan 2013, 13:33

All said here is in jest, but Kath makes a point often discussing the limits of her knowledge of lots of music. We love Kath.
the Eagles suck.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2013, 13:41

Matty Red Sox wrote:All said here is in jest, but Kath makes a point often discussing the limits of her knowledge of lots of music. We love Kath.

....but will it be enough to save your hide? :lol:

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 25 Jan 2013, 13:57

never/ever wrote:
Every year I go out and wear my heart on my sleeve when compiling a Cup-list. See, I know what a successful list should look like- pair the known with a bit of the unknown, mix a few styles up, beware of modern crap and prostitute yourself to the lowest common denominators on these boards. Yes, every list is like a whore on the lookout for a suitor, where the ones spreading their legs the widest will catch the most attention...see how the sluts prance around with their big booties of funk 'n soul, their massive tits filled with garagerock and obscure 60s rock (preferable with the denominator Nugget on 'em) and see the juices flow down their legs courtesy of the NME/Melody Maker-trimmed bush of their indie-rock-preened vulvas. See how they stick their ass up, courting the massive dicks of the so-called BCB-music intelligentsia with their dumbfuck talk about 'what a whore should look like to get up the social ladder into Round Two' with their previous Cup-successes tattooed on the shaft, hungry to plug the holes and get a quick fix of exhilaration...while the true mistresses of love, the ones that caress and gently guide you into a cave of moist,

I don't really remember your list, bit this recrimination's got me all in a flutter.
<leaves>
<returns 3 minutes later>

never/ever wrote:pleasurable goodness are being scorned, ousted amongst outcries of 'I don't have time to click on your links' or 'you are not black enough' or 'you are too narrow'....they will have left with shame yet they leave with a dignity in the knowledge that the people who scorn her will not know the full pleasure of her company...as they will proceed to go back to their preferred harlots and see how over the following rounds their tits will shrink, their mounds will dry up and leave them with a dour taste and a few stubborn hairs in their mouths....and then they will remember the treasure left behind but it will be far too late then.....

I didn't see this part. I feel so dirty. Don't look at me.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Jan 2013, 15:14

never/ever wrote:At least this year I didn't get defeated by the fucking Wombles....this defeat felt a whole lot sweeter somehow.

Every year I go out and wear my heart on my sleeve when compiling a Cup-list. See, I know what a successful list should look like- pair the known with a bit of the unknown, mix a few styles up, beware of modern crap and prostitute yourself to the lowest common denominators on these boards. Yes, every list is like a whore on the lookout for a suitor, where the ones spreading their legs the widest will catch the most attention...see how the sluts prance around with their big booties of funk 'n soul, their massive tits filled with garagerock and obscure 60s rock (preferable with the denominator Nugget on 'em) and see the juices flow down their legs courtesy of the NME/Melody Maker-trimmed bush of their indie-rock-preened vulvas. See how they stick their ass up, courting the massive dicks of the so-called BCB-music intelligentsia with their dumbfuck talk about 'what a whore should look like to get up the social ladder into Round Two' with their previous Cup-successes tattooed on the shaft, hungry to plug the holes and get a quick fix of exhilaration...while the true mistresses of love, the ones that caress and gently guide you into a cave of moist, pleasurable goodness are being scorned, ousted amongst outcries of 'I don't have time to click on your links' or 'you are not black enough' or 'you are too narrow'....they will have left with shame yet they leave with a dignity in the knowledge that the people who scorn her will not know the full pleasure of her company...as they will proceed to go back to their preferred harlots and see how over the following rounds their tits will shrink, their mounds will dry up and leave them with a dour taste and a few stubborn hairs in their mouths....and then they will remember the treasure left behind but it will be far too late then.....

And for the ultimate satisfaction and knowledge...when the new rounds arrive and the expanded lists parade around, remember the comments given to you...the quick dismissals, the ones voting for you just picking a few tracks they like....but no one, NO-ONE can boast the kind of compliment I got in my Cup-tie:

kath wrote:A, whoever you are, i wanna ::smack:: you. i wasn't familiar with a single song on this list, but it is easily my fave list so far. it's utterly fantastic. starting from the gorgeous popol vuh track, i was hooked, and nowhere did i get dropped. i can't remember ever having a cup list i wanted to hear twice, on the spot.. my own lists included, mwhaha. it takes the prize for playlist sequence, as well. the way it moves, the vibe, it never slips.

beautiful, all the way around.

Suck on that, motherfuckers!

Five Stars *****

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Jan 2013, 18:48

Merdre.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo