Sicily

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Sicily

Postby KeithPratt » 18 Jan 2018, 12:32

Just booked our 2 week summer holiday. Staying in Montalbano's village, Punta Secca, near Ragusa.

Any tips for the SE part of the island? I doubt we'll be venturing to the western side.

echolalia

Re: Sicily

Postby echolalia » 20 Jan 2018, 20:45

With your love of ancient stuff you will love Sicily, I’m sure.

Good places to visit strictly in SE Sicily:
Piazza Armerina (for the Roman villa)
Modica (famous for chocolate)
Noto – a really beautiful place full of beautiful buildings. Best appreciated at sundown.
Siracusa – particularly but not only Ortygia, the island bit. The cathedral is amazing – a pre-classical Greek temple with Norman and 18th-century accretions. Quite mental! Which kind of encapsulates the appeal of Sicily as a whole – the span of history that the place has. The mainland part has the “regional museum of antiquities”. It has the Venus Landolina – with bits missing but still incredible. Really mInd-blowingly good in fact.

North of Siracusa is industrial and not very interesting on the whole. Catania isn’t always pretty.

If there’s a place I’d recommend you avoid, it would be Gela (where Aeschylus died)... there’s something the matter with that town.

The best Greek temples are further west – Agrigento isn’t too far way at all. In fact the whole island is small enough that everything’s within striking distance, with a car.

The food is great. I really like the couscous. I think traditionally it belongs to the west of the island, but the last time I was there I noticed it was beginning to creep east. Also the fennel-flavoured sausage… and arancini.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Sicily

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Jan 2018, 08:43

Thanks!

Yeah the food is going to be amazing. I suspect it's going to be extremely hot as well.

Return to “All Around The World”