Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Flower » 06 Jun 2020, 14:34

I've recently become aware that an alarming number of people don't know the proper use of the police/fire emergency number. :o

https://www.911.gov/using911appropriately.html
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2020, 19:03

What 'doobie' meant and how the Brothers got their name

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Jun 2020, 20:04

I learnt just now that it's highly likely one of my postmen - who I've known personally for the best part of 40 years- has dementia. He's been signed off for two weeks whilst tests are done but.... the signs have been there for some time. I'm pretty much wiped out by the news, to be fair.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 09 Jun 2020, 09:41

C wrote:What 'doobie' meant and how the Brothers got their name

Bloody hell, C, you have lead a sheltered life.

`

Postby ` » 09 Jun 2020, 09:46

The Penny Lane the Beatles sang about was actually named after James Penny, an 18th Century owner/trader of African slaves

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Jun 2020, 12:24

A person who studies flags is called a "Vexillologist".
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Jun 2020, 12:29

Sam Stone wrote:The Penny Lane the Beatles sang about was actually named after James Penny, an 18th Century owner/trader of African slaves

Before you boycott the Beatles.

While the song is called "Penny Lane" and is a road in Liverpool, the song is really a reference to the Penny Lane Bus Station (now gone) next to "The shelter in the middle of the roundabout" (now the Sgt. Peppers bistro).

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2020, 12:53

Flower wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:The Penny Lane the Beatles sang about was actually named after James Penny, an 18th Century owner/trader of African slaves

Before you boycott the Beatles.

While the song is called "Penny Lane" and is a road in Liverpool, the song is really a reference to the Penny Lane Bus Station (now gone) next to "The shelter in the middle of the roundabout" (now the Sgt. Peppers bistro).

I understood that it was a whole neighborhood (in any event, if it's about a bus station, why are they singing about the banker and the barber and the fireman?).

In any event, wouldn't they all be named after the same Penny? Boycott The Beatles!!

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Jun 2020, 13:05

From Wikipedia ..

Penny Lane is a road in the south Liverpool suburb of Mossley Hill. The name also applies to the area surrounding its junction with Smithdown Road and Allerton Road, and to the roundabout at Smithdown Place that was the location for a major bus terminus, originally an important tram junction of Liverpool Corporation Tramways.The roundabout was a common stopping place for John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison during their years as schoolchildren and students. Bus journeys via Penny Lane and the area itself subsequently became familiar elements in the early years of the Lennon–McCartney songwriting partnership. In 2009, McCartney reflected:

"Penny Lane" was kind of nostalgic, but it was really [about] a place that John and I knew ... I'd get a bus to his house and I'd have to change at Penny Lane, or the same with him to me, so we often hung out at that terminus, like a roundabout. It was a place that we both knew, and so we both knew the things that turned up in the story.

Lennon's original lyrics for "In My Life" had included a reference to Penny Lane.[10] Soon after the Beatles recorded "In My Life" in October 1965, McCartney mentioned to an interviewer that he wanted to write a song about Penny Lane. A year later, he was spurred to write the song once presented with Lennon's "Strawberry Fields Forever". McCartney also cited Dylan Thomas's nostalgic poem "Fern Hill" as an inspiration for "Penny Lane".Lennon co-wrote the lyrics with McCartney. He recalled in a 1970 interview: "The bank was there, and that was where the trams sheds were and people waiting and the inspector stood there, the fire engines were down there. It was reliving childhood."

Btw ~ I'd rather boycott boycotting ... :)

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Jun 2020, 23:14

Sam Stone wrote:

:lol:

I can't ever recall anybody from where I came from calling a joint a doobie

Nay, I can't

Flower

Postby Flower » 11 Jun 2020, 00:10

That Sneelock is six foot three inches ... or not but he's happy ..

`

Postby ` » 11 Jun 2020, 10:23

C wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

I can't ever recall anybody from where I came from calling a joint a doobie

Nay, I can't

Yes, doobie was always a bit of a wanky American high-school name, but then with the possible exception of the sublime Black Water and Takiing It to the Streets, the Doobies' mindless chugathon boogie numbers were always a bit wanky and American high school themselves.

That said, with the entry level drug of choice around our way being nasal passage-shredding sulphate, if I'd asked any of my contemporaries if they'd "care for a toke on my doob" when I was growing up, I'd have had my head stoved in.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Jun 2020, 13:43

Sam Stone wrote:That said, with the entry level drug of choice around our way being nasal passage-shredding sulphate, if I'd asked any of my contemporaries if they'd "care for a toke on my doob" when I was growing up, I'd have had my head stoved in.

`

Postby ` » 13 Jun 2020, 09:05

In 1880, a minutes work would buy you, on average, four minutes of artificial light.

By 1950 it was up to seven hours.

By 2000 the figure was 17 times higher.

`

Postby ` » 13 Jun 2020, 09:09

Not one of Europe’s 100 most valuable companies was formed in the past 40 years, a period that coincided with the EU embracing "a stultifying hostility"* to innovations ranging from GMO crops to bagless vacuum cleaners.

*Words in quotation marks belong to Matt Ridley the author of the book from whence I stole the figure and not mine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jun 2020, 22:56

I’ve finally caved in to seitan. It’s really nice!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Jun 2020, 13:42

harvey k-tel wrote:A person who studies flags is called a "Vexillologist".

I learned that Harv has never watched The Big Bang Theory...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

`

Postby ` » 16 Jun 2020, 16:43

Rayge wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote:A person who studies flags is called a "Vexillologist".

I learned that Harv has never watched The Big Bang Theory...

Ot The Chase

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jun 2020, 18:34

California had a $5B surplus in the budget before Covid-19. It now has a $54B deficit because of it. Yesterday they had to balance the budget. I haven't read about the cuts yet but it can't be good.
Last edited by Six String on 17 Jun 2020, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Jun 2020, 19:03

Sam Stone wrote:
C wrote:I can't ever recall anybody from where I came from calling a joint a doobie

Nay, I can't

Yes, doobie was always a bit of a wanky American high-school name, but then with the possible exception of the sublime Black Water and Takiing It to the Streets, the Doobies' mindless chugathon boogie numbers were always a bit wanky and American high school themselves.

That said, with the entry level drug of choice around our way being nasal passage-shredding sulphate, if I'd asked any of my contemporaries if they'd "care for a toke on my doob" when I was growing up, I'd have had my head stoved in.

Good news, Britishists, you pronounce it the way you (wrongly) pronounce "boogie."

Now, consult with John Lee Hooker and learn how to say that word properly.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Nextdoorland”