Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image

How many elephants did they bring, eh?

Tom Waits For No One

Re: New now reading

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 30 Jan 2022, 23:15

Positive Passion wrote:

None that are mentioned in journals and reports from the time but they had a dog and John Miles’ grandad as their cook.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 31 Jan 2022, 07:15

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

None that are mentioned in journals and reports from the time but they had a dog and John Miles’ grandad as their cook.

I think the elephants are being grey-washed out of history, while dogs and grandads are being given too much prominence

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 31 Jan 2022, 10:41

Positive Passion wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

I think the elephants are being grey-washed out of history, while dogs and grandads are being given too much prominence

Yeah, right. And how many granddads did Hannibal take over the Alps with him? I don't remember any mention of them in any of the histories I've read.
Recent mentions of them are a fine example of redressing that balance with affirmative action.
Bugger off.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 31 Jan 2022, 11:49

Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

Yeah, right. And how many granddads did Hannibal take over the Alps with him? I don't remember any mention of them in any of the histories I've read.

:o you may be right. I'll keep an eye out for references.

Recent mentions of them are a fine example of redressing that balance with affirmative action.

Affirmative action schmaffirmative schmaction. It is airbrushing away greyness, like Simon & Garfunkel changing their name from Tom & Jerry.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 31 Jan 2022, 12:36

another enthralling story from the master of hard boiled detective novels. Hugely entertaining

I have just finished Scaredy Cat by Mark Billingham. I took a piunt on this for a quid in the charity shop and it is OK. I enjoyed it more as it went on, but if I an impatient man I would probably have binned it after the first chapter. As it is, I have already invested another pound in another one of his books.

You don't like me...do you?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 14 Feb 2022, 15:25

Give a shit or be a shit.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 14 Feb 2022, 16:39

Just finished these two. Both absolutely wonderful. I just love the way these books are written, driven by the questioning, and commentating on his process.

Just started anothe Anne Cleeves book.

You don't like me...do you?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Feb 2022, 04:05

As fascinating as this book is, what's even more amazing is the impact that it had on the American funeral industry. And what an industry! I can't believe that for so long some of their spiel was taken as medically accurate in terms of what was achieved by and necessary for a funeral that involves embalming and a coffin. It's no surprise the public was outraged when it was first published.

Good old Fran.

Just finished this. How incredibly moving. I got so fucking frustrated with Stevens every time he mentioned "events of global significance" I wanted to reach into the book and punch him on the nose. I had seen the film years and years ago, but that seemed to focus more intently on some hidden passion between him and you know who but I didn't pick a trace of that up in the book at all.
Stevens reminded me very much of the protagonist in Orwell's "Coming Up For Air-" in fact the whole book had a similar feel. CUFA is my favourite Orwell, it seems this kind of documentation of 'better times" reminiscence and ultimate disappointment holds something really fascinating for me.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 24 Feb 2022, 04:28

Just finished it, excellent. Enjoyed it a lot.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Feb 2022, 05:50

Reading an early collection of novels by Elmore Leonard at the moment titled Dutch Treat
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Feb 2022, 19:34

Uncle Tom's Cabin.
I have read it before, many years ago. It has a surprisingly modern tone. The scene where Eliza crosses the river on the ice is fantastic, and I have read the scene where she pitches up at the Senator's house out loud to friends.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Apr 2022, 16:14

Just finished:

What can you say about this? Simply astounding. Wanted to read it again immediately.

Now reading:

Which so far, is another absolute screamer. wonderful.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Apr 2022, 16:11

This beautiful collection by David Wilcox was a late birthday present from my parents. I had seen only about half of the pictures displayed within, so it has been a real treasure chest. Some of my very favourite art.

We were just in Portland and did a sweep of Powells bookstore. (What a fucking bookstore- but that's another story.) I got this because I had loved Remains of the Day and I knew this was a bestseller.

I found it incredibly depressing. I read it in two days- it's well written, and easy to zoom through - but the subject matter is like a miserable cockroach slowly nibbling away at your skin. Maybe my feelings towards it are partly because we've all been marinating in dystopia gravy for the past few years anyway, and I needed something different from a book. Anyway... it's going out to the little library in the woods so that someone else can get depressed.

As a direct contrast, I read this beauty in two days and wanted to read it again immediately. What an absolute joy. Before the year is out I'm determined to read everything he ever wrote.

Dr Markus wrote:

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Apr 2022, 10:37

Livy - History of early Rome.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jun 2022, 13:03

Finished both of these:

Both those and the first in the series so wonderful that I felt sad to put them into the bookshelf. Astonishing works.

Just finished this:

It was one of the few English language books at the Tallinn Lennujaam and I picked it up without knowledge of the subject matter. Another work of real beauty, but simply sad to read these days given the events in the Ukraine. It's gentle, periodically morose and funny in parts, and you will be really glad that you have read it.

Now reading:

I had heard talk of this book banded around for months and had listened to the author being interviewed in various places. Started in yesterday, it's pretty absorbing so far. Obama loved it, apparently!

Also reading this:

For such a dense book, I seem to be getting through it pretty quickly. Maybe I concentrate less on non-fiction or maybe I am already familiar enough with the subject matter?

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Jul 2022, 00:18

Still reading Lou - the Evaristo was great.

I started reading this, which I had great hopes for-

Fifty pages in, I didn't gel with it at all. I've put it down for now. So now I am reading this-

which is fucking GREAT.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jul 2022, 15:03

Gilead was SO good.
Go read it!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2022, 18:50

yomptepi wrote:Image

another enthralling story from the master of hard boiled detective novels. Hugely entertaining

I have just finished Scaredy Cat by Mark Billingham. I took a piunt on this for a quid in the charity shop and it is OK. I enjoyed it more as it went on, but if I an impatient man I would probably have binned it after the first chapter. As it is, I have already invested another pound in another one of his books.

I've been meaning to read that!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2022, 19:20

I just finished this

What an extraordinary book, and what an extraordinary woman. An eye opener for sure, and drills down the importance of belief in how humans can change, as well as the appalling shite people live through and the situations they end up in as a result.

I think it took me two hours to read this. Two splendid hours, and I'm glad I spent them that way.

I loved reading "Gilead" by the above author so much that I got this, and so far so good. Some of the dialogue snippets are so intimate that I feel as though I am a kid under a blanket listening to hear things I shouldn't after dark. This is a good thing- I am getting some top class gossip. wonderful.

I went out for dinner the other week and halfway there realised I had forgotten my book, so this was an impulse purchase from the bookshop nearby. I can't say that it has grabbed me by the bollocks yet, at least not in the way the blurb would have one believe, but I'll return to it at some point.

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Nextdoorland”