New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Geezee

Re: New now reading

Postby Geezee » 09 Nov 2020, 15:18

Minnie the Minx wrote:
mission wrote:Minnie, it takes a while to get the rhythm of McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," but one you do - holy fuck - what a book.

Complete the Border trilogy, but I urge to keep your McCarthy kick going until you reckon with Blood Meridian

Thanks for the heads up, mission! I shall. I just read ‘The Road’ which I found a major letdown after the Pretty Horses. Very well written but just so bleak and exhausting.

Good to see you posting, too!

Reading The Road in this period of time in history? Wow that's a real glutton for punishment!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2020, 15:30

Geezee wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
mission wrote:Minnie, it takes a while to get the rhythm of McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," but one you do - holy fuck - what a book.

Complete the Border trilogy, but I urge to keep your McCarthy kick going until you reckon with Blood Meridian

Thanks for the heads up, mission! I shall. I just read ‘The Road’ which I found a major letdown after the Pretty Horses. Very well written but just so bleak and exhausting.

Reading The Road in this period of time in history? Wow that's a real glutton for punishment!

I know! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Nov 2020, 15:31

harvey k-tel wrote:Minnie, if I may make a recommendation based on what you've been enjoying, you should check out Jim Harrison. I've only read a couple of his novels, and 'True North' is the real standout for me. Just beautiful writing.

Great! I will. Thanks for the heads up!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

`

Postby ` » 10 Nov 2020, 08:25

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image

Halfway through this. Really enjoying it.

As with Alan Partridge Nomad, you can hear the author's delivery
in your head on every page. And as with the Coogan book, the audio
version must be a real treat.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Nov 2020, 09:11

Minnie the Minx wrote:

Er... you might want to wait a while on Blood Meridian then. Or hold out for a light-hearted rom-com film version starring Hugh Grant as The Judge...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Nov 2020, 14:59

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Nov 2020, 01:50

Just finished - ‘Death Comes For The Archbishop’ by Willa Cather. What an extraordinary book. Absolutely extraordinary.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Nov 2020, 04:07

Minnie the Minx wrote:"All The Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy. No words, font or facial expressions can describe how great this book is. The sort of book you finish and then bow to. Fucking HELL. There's my author for the rest of the year!

I love Cormac McCarthy’s writing. It’s possible that I’ve read more of his books than any other artist. For me he is the best American author alive today. His border trilogy is really something. I am not one to gravitate towards violence in books but there have been passages I’ve read in those books that would make me turn my head as if I was watching it on the screen. His command of the English language is something else.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Dec 2020, 01:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:Just finished - ‘Death Comes For The Archbishop’ by Willa Cather. What an extraordinary book. Absolutely extraordinary.

Also just finished ‘O Pioneer’ by the same author. Another gem.
You can smell the land she writes about.

Dr Markus wrote:

`

Postby ` » 04 Dec 2020, 07:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Also just finished ‘O Pioneer’ by the same author. Another gem.
You can smell the land she writes about.

Note to self: Must odor a copy.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 08 Dec 2020, 12:48

Genius.
Its not so much a book, as like being sat in a pub talking to JCC.

Or rather, being talked at by JCC.

So like going to the pub with a scouse version of Brotherlouie.

But funnier, obvs.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Dec 2020, 15:09

Corporate whore wrote:

Genius.
Its not so much a book, as like being sat in a pub talking to JCC.

Or rather, being talked at by JCC.

So like going to the pub with a scouse version of Brotherlouie.

But funnier, obvs.

That’s got to go on my list.

Last night I finished reading Willa Cather’s ‘My Antonia’ and like with all of her other books, was so sad to have finished. What a work of total joy. Some authors drag you into their works, some entice you, Willa skips with you through her stories. You feel like you’re on an adventure with her characters together. One of my favourite discoveries of the year.

Dr Markus wrote:

mission

Postby mission » 12 Dec 2020, 08:42

John Cooper Clarke is a genuine throwback and quite the amalgam of contradictions.
Goodness gracious me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Dec 2020, 09:51

Scouse!? :o

Isn’t he from Salford?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Dec 2020, 20:46

Stiff by Mary Roach, the curious lifves of human cadavers. I read Gulp, her book on the alimentary canal years ago and really enjoyed it. She’s a science writer so all of her books are from that angle and she’s very funny and informative.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Dec 2020, 15:31

Six String wrote:Stiff by Mary Roach, the curious lifves of human cadavers. I read Gulp, her book on the alimentary canal years ago and really enjoyed it. She’s a science writer so all of her books are from that angle and she’s very funny and informative.

On the back of that, I got a couple of her books to read and as presents!

I’m reading ‘Do No Harm’ by neurosurgeon Dr Henry Marsh. It is very well written and moving in places but his self confessed grumpiness is irritating as a reader who can imagine having to work with him. He is rude and stand offish to so many people who are essential to the work of the hospital and he describes it in a way that I think he hopes makes the reader think of him as a churlish but lovable medic but I’d like to slap his legs.

Dr Markus wrote:

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 29 Dec 2020, 10:41

Just whipped through this. It's a wonderfully written story of Nick Cave's life up until early 1980, when The Boys Next Door (soon to become The Birthday Party) boarded a plane to try their chances in London. It's a great evocation of Wangaratta and Melbourne, particularly the music scene that grew out of the Crystal Ballroom in St Kilda, as well as the fascinating relationships between Nick and various band members and girlfriends and family; and the myriad influences that drove him.

king of the divan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Jan 2021, 03:58

Quite lively and engaging.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jan 2021, 16:55

The New Yorker has been really knocking it out of the park recently. I read a splendid article by Rachel Kushner called ‘The Hard Crowd’ yesterday, detailing her young life in San Francisco. A personal history, it took you up and down the steep streets with some real love and made me long to be back in what to me is the greatest city on earth.

Dr Markus wrote:

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 Jan 2021, 17:35

Having a re-read of this

The joy of record shop browsing/idling/buying...a distant memory :(
Give a shit or be a shit.

Return to “Nextdoorland”