Re: Ban Jimbo?

Postby C » 20 Sep 2020, 17:15

kath wrote:
C wrote:
kath wrote:
agreed.

makes me wanna crank faust, mwhaha.

Indeed

When I noticed the lad had returned I played a Faust album over on Reap Corner.

I don't think he noticed

he did indeed respond to you. ya goofball. mwhahahaa

Did he? :oops:

I'll go back and check!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Sep 2020, 17:18

C wrote:
kath wrote:
C wrote:
Indeed

When I noticed the lad had returned I played a Faust album over on Reap Corner.

I don't think he noticed

he did indeed respond to you. ya goofball. mwhahahaa

Did he? :oops:

I'll go back and check!

jimboo wrote:And here was me thinking this thread had gone soft!
Well done lad.
Please sit back and play Bonjour Gioacchino as loud as you dare.
Epic tub thumping.

:oops:
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Sep 2020, 08:57

Flower wrote:What I am stating is that Jimbo is not a troll. Maybe he would consider what he posts more carefully if he was NOT piled on all the time but that's my words and feelings and not his words or feelings.

So the reason Jimbo keeps posting utter drivel is because everyone keeps telling him he is posting utter drivel?

Okay - is the answer then :

a) Not tell him he is posting utter drivel (and he will stop posting utter drivel) ,
b) Tell him the utter drivel he is posting is, in fact, the word of a visionary genius (and he will stop posting utter drivel) or
c) He will continue to post utter drivel no matter what we say because, in fact, he has absolutely no intention of changing his mind ( or, indeed, even considering changing his mind) because he doesn't want to know ( nor care) what anyone else on the planet thinks, if it isn't what he thinks?

Which of those scenarios is the most likely, in your opinion?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Sep 2020, 09:10

I'd also like to understand what the board loses by banning him? As far as i can tell, nothing at all. While plenty to gain.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

`

Postby ` » 25 Sep 2020, 09:34

Diamond Dog wrote:
Flower wrote:What I am stating is that Jimbo is not a troll. Maybe he would consider what he posts more carefully if he was NOT piled on all the time but that's my words and feelings and not his words or feelings.

So the reason Jimbo keeps posting utter drivel is because everyone keeps telling him he is posting utter drivel?

Okay - is the answer then :

a) Not tell him he is posting utter drivel (and he will stop posting utter drivel) ,
b) Tell him the utter drivel he is posting is, in fact, the word of a visionary genius (and he will stop posting utter drivel) or
c) He will continue to post utter drivel no matter what we say because, in fact, he has absolutely no intention of changing his mind ( or, indeed, even considering changing his mind) because he doesn't want to know ( nor care) what anyone else on the planet thinks, if it isn't what he thinks?

Which of those scenarios is the most likely, in your opinion?

Flower wrote:Image

Poor Ickle puddy tat is fwightened of the nasty, barky dog!

`

Postby ` » 25 Sep 2020, 11:11

Geezee wrote:I'd also like to understand what the board loses by banning him? As far as i can tell, nothing at all. While plenty to gain.

Agreed. Having never voted to ban any here before I finally snapped last Friday and voted to have him gone.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 25 Sep 2020, 12:05

Has nobody noticed, he's not been here for nearly a week?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Sep 2020, 12:28

The Prof wrote:Has nobody noticed, he's not been here for nearly a week?

Yeah he does this periodically - he lays low, hoping everything will blow over and he can return. Triumphant, in his mind.
Cocaine

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2020, 13:06

i'm thinkin we all may owe you dinner?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 25 Sep 2020, 13:22

There was a time when even the mention of a ban would send the board into a complete meltdown, with extravagant flounces and passionate defence of freedom of speech. Bcb has come a long way since then, and not in a good way. The way to deal with Jim is the same way one deals with all pesky gets. Ignore him and he will go away, Do not open his threads and certainly do not respond.He will soon tire.
You don't like me...do you?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Sep 2020, 14:01

yomptepi wrote:There was a time when even the mention of a ban would send the board into a complete meltdown, with extravagant flounces and passionate defence of freedom of speech. Bcb has come a long way since then, and not in a good way. The way to deal with Jim is the same way one deals with all pesky gets. Ignore him and he will go away, Do not open his threads and certainly do not respond.He will soon tire.

he has tirelessly trolled for eons. be happy if you missed any of it.

i honestly don't recall anymore... how did you take it when skope got banned? when yellowjacket got ( i think) a temporary ban? i could be wrong, but weren't you one of the people who way back when thought googa was a stain on the board and driving people away? well, folk have explicitly posted that they will not post here anymore cuz of jimbo's toxic presence, people who have been on this board longer than i have. i consider it a small blessing not to have his constant trolling trumpy crap this close to such an important election.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Sep 2020, 14:40

kath wrote:

i'm thinkin we all may owe you dinner?

I had just belatedly put him on ignore so wasn't sure if it was that or that he's actually been gone - but the board looks so much more friendly and interesting already.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 19 Feb 2021, 08:42

Nice while it lasted.

Can we please make it permanent?

yomptepi wrote:There was a time when even the mention of a ban would send the board into a complete meltdown, with extravagant flounces and passionate defence of freedom of speech. Bcb has come a long way since then, and not in a good way. The way to deal with Jim is the same way one deals with all pesky gets. Ignore him and he will go away, Do not open his threads and certainly do not respond.He will soon tire.

I would have been one of the first to abuse the banners. But I've changed my mind.

I have him on ignore but other people keep responding to him and a lot of potentially interesting discussions get sidetracked. Every fucking time. I ignore him but he doesn't go away.

Ban the twat. It may even do him some good. If he doesn't have his usual outlet to vent, he may have to stop and think about things.

I doubt it though...
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Feb 2021, 15:43

Diamond Dog wrote:

Yeah he does this periodically - he lays low, hoping everything will blow over and he can return. Triumphant, in his mind.

It's almost as if someone said this would happen.....
Cocaine

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 10 Mar 2021, 18:36

I think the results of the poll are very clear.

Can someone please ban him?

PLEASE!
Bugger off.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Mar 2021, 20:46

toomanyhatz wrote:Either Preludin or BCB could easily be improved for me personally should certain persons either be banned or stop posting on their own. Either works for me. But Jimbo's not the only one, not by a longshot. He might not even be the worst of them.

I have very little power here and have been quite public about my lack of zeal for using what little I have; at Preludin I have absolutely none.

Not sure exactly what I'm getting at here, I guess maybe just that I find anyone at either board acting like one or the other is Valhalla and the other is a cesspool, well...just one man's opinion, but they're really not that different.

All I know for sure is a) I'm going to keep posting at both as long as I'm able; b) I'm not going to be responsible for banning anyone but spammers (believe me, it's a full-time job); and c) I don't give a flying fuck about what anyone on either board thinks I should think.

Just quoting this as this is still my stance.

I don't feel it is my place to ban OR defend here (and I certainly have no interest in the latter), but I will say this- I have heard directly from some that they would post here more often if not for the dominance of threads they have no interest in.

The solution, of course, is to create more threads that people have more interest in. So I hope folks will do that. Something about music, maybe?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Mar 2021, 00:47

That's been the default setting of many people- 'oh, I don't like that there are all these threads that don't interest me but I can't be arsed to think of something else myself so instead I am going to bitch and moan about those who do.'

Personally I think that if you sign up to be a moderator, you also should be on the creative side of running a board rather than being solely on the reactive part.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 11 Mar 2021, 07:24

toomanyhatz wrote:The solution, of course, is to create more threads that people have more interest in. So I hope folks will do that. Something about music, maybe?

never/ever wrote:That's been the default setting of many people- 'oh, I don't like that there are all these threads that don't interest me but I can't be arsed to think of something else myself so instead I am going to bitch and moan about those who do.'

Perfectly logical and maybe you're both right, but that's not how it works for me. For a start, my music threads tend to sink without a trace. I started two recently, which got about seven replies between them, most of which were from me. In my response to the Pin Ups thread I even included a Beau Brummels track and Toomanyhatz still didn't respond!
But it was ever thus. My tastes in music are of limited interest to most of the posters here and that's fine.

In fact, I come here to read a bit, chat a bit and pass a little time. I'm not a moderator so presume I get a pass from never/ever on not being very proactive. But anyway, Dimbo ruins that for me (and most people apparently) by sucking the life out of the board.

toomanyhatz wrote:I have heard directly from some that they would post here more often if not for the dominance of threads they have no interest in.

So, while the idea that people should just post more threads seems perfectly logical, I think the reality is this. I'm very interested in our world of Covid and plenty of other things but it feels like the board's collective energies are forever distracted by either Dimbo's relentless trolling, or people responding to it. I quickly become disheartened and can't summon up the enthusiasm to post anything.
You may think that's a crap attitude and maybe it is but that's the reality for me and, I suspect, a bunch of other people.

Talking about this, I realise that it's become a conscious effort to come and post here these days. That's no fun.

I surrender.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Mar 2021, 08:26

Well, I'm the same. I find it difficult to muster any decent points to debate outside of legends of music dropping off and the interest in a new Prog Cup that would maybe grab some more interest in people stopping by regularly but also would give more impetus for those who hate prog to avoid the boards altogether.
I do enjoy reading about your COVID-experiences so keep them coming. It's good to see this being an outlet to let go of anxieties and frustrations.

I'm heartened to see plenty of old familiar faces return here for a browse and a chat and in many ways I'd like to keep that continuity going.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Mar 2021, 13:32

I just skip a lot of threads, but I think any thread is welcome, so long as it is not harmful, or seeks to hurt anyone. Traffic is traffic. I am not the most popular guy, but I know what it's like to be shut out, and I just feel, well, live and let live.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Nextdoorland”