in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Coffee???

I love it, even instant!
24%
I am fussy about my coffee!
41%
I can take it or leave it!
3%
Coffee? Phuck dat shit! Gimme a good cup of tea anytime!
21%
Coffee dates are the only dates that I can get. It's great!
No votes
Other
10%

Total votes: 29

C
Robust

Re: A Coffee Poll!

Postby C » 25 Jan 2020, 12:18

Rorschach wrote:aggressive and paranoid.

What's new lad...?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 27 Jan 2020, 07:59

C wrote:
Rorschach wrote:aggressive and paranoid.

What's new lad...?

Rude!
Bugger off.

alias the jester

Postby alias the jester » 29 Jan 2020, 01:52

Minnie the Minx wrote:I like the ones made by my Dad- a flat teaspoon of Co-op own brand instant in a tiny cup, thrust under my nose as he mumbles ‘fresh coffee is overrated fucking bollocks’

exactly
(OK just to clarify, I've never met your Dad but do thoroughly agree with him)

There's a suspicious amount of fashion and hype re. coffee. Often from commercial sources selling coffee. (Odd, that.)

Me? Often a nice mug of instant hits the spot as tastefully and effectively as anything from a coffee shop or from someone's own set-up.

Regarding fashion and hype, has anyone tried Kopi luwak?
It's made from coffee cherries/beans from Indonesia that have been eaten and defecated by the Asian Palm Civet.
It's also one of the most expensive coffees in the world.
Those inclined to drink it may possibly be those most willing to contemplate spending heavily on the experience (and of course may argue defensively that it is definitely the most superb coffee experience one can have).
Probably not one for my bucket list.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Jan 2020, 04:37

I'm not overly fussy unless I've paid a large amount for one in a coffee shop then it had better be worth it! I've complained a few times when the coffee served has been poor in these places.

I'll drink instant coffee at a pinch and quaff cans of icy cold Nescafe on hot days.

alias the jester wrote:Regarding fashion and hype, has anyone tried Kopi luwak?
It's made from coffee cherries/beans from Indonesia that have been eaten and defecated by the Asian Palm Civet.
Those inclined to drink it may possibly be those most willing to contemplate spending heavily on the experience (and of course may argue defensively that it is definitely the most superb coffee experience one can have).

I recently had my first taste of Civet Cat poo coffee. Up in a mountain village in the Philippines while hiking there at New Year a villager made us a coffee from freshly ground civet cat coffee they collect in the forests at a fraction of the price it would cost in a shop. It was nice but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of freshly ground coffee.

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Jan 2020, 11:10

I agree that you should get what you paid for in terms on service and quality. Strangely, I'm not even curious about the civet coffee. :)

I'm not a fan of Starbucks but will pick up a "seasonal" peppermint latte once in a blue moon. I do like their canned double shot espresso from time to time.

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 29 Jan 2020, 14:41

Flower wrote: Also, growing up in New York, all the Chinese restaurants that we went to would always have all the pots of tea that you could drink included in the price of the meal which is no longer true. :(

Actually there are still plenty of Chinese restaurants in and around NYC that still don't charge for tea and pour it all day long.

In the Peruvian mountain regions they serve coca tea to help prevent altitude sickness. SO you see it everywhere.

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Jan 2020, 19:42

My mug of dark roasted Ethiopian Super Natural made with a French press just landed on my table. Yum!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jan 2020, 22:59

French roast was the coffee back when I was in Seattle and coffee was cool. Nowadays I can buy ground ice coffee blend for really cheap. I drink it hot however and it tastes charcoally and dry just like my French roast of yore.

If I had my druthers Colombian would be my bean of choice. Funnily, nutty Colombian used to be what we thought all coffee was. But now Colombian is expensive and I can't afford it.
Question authority.

alias the jester

Postby alias the jester » 30 Jan 2020, 01:39

trans-chigley express wrote:I'm not overly fussy unless I've paid a large amount for one in a coffee shop then it had better be worth it! I've complained a few times when the coffee served has been poor in these places.

I'll drink instant coffee at a pinch and quaff cans of icy cold Nescafe on hot days.

alias the jester wrote:Regarding fashion and hype, has anyone tried Kopi luwak?

I recently had my first taste of Civet Cat poo coffee. Up in a mountain village in the Philippines while hiking there at New Year a villager made us a coffee from freshly ground civet cat coffee they collect in the forests at a fraction of the price it would cost in a shop. It was nice but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of freshly ground coffee.

Thanks for your review (which means far more to me than one I might have read somewhere else that may well have had some marketing purpose).
Pleased the coffee was enjoyable (if perhaps a little ordinary), but particularly pleased that you managed to try it without having to pay a highly-inflated mark-up that would have been likely in other circumstances.
Despite the cynicism of my post, I think I would be quite surprised if this coffee did actually taste unpleasant - it would be quite remarkable for a coffee that was horrible to nevertheless gain a favourable reputation. (Not impossible though!)
Still not sure I'd try it myself though!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jan 2020, 02:20

alias the jester wrote:
Thanks for your review (which means far more to me than one I might have read somewhere else that may well have had some marketing purpose).
Pleased the coffee was enjoyable (if perhaps a little ordinary), but particularly pleased that you managed to try it without having to pay a highly-inflated mark-up that would have been likely in other circumstances.
Despite the cynicism of my post, I think I would be quite surprised if this coffee did actually taste unpleasant - it would be quite remarkable for a coffee that was horrible to nevertheless gain a favourable reputation. (Not impossible though!)
Still not sure I'd try it myself though!

The coffee was good I have to say, certainly a good quality cup of coffee for sure with a nice rich and earthy taste, but if I'd paid a huge amount of money for it (and I've seen some eye-watering prices for a cup of this stuff in local coffee shops) I would be kind of underwhelmed. I don't believe that having gone through the Civet's digestive system and out the other end actually adds anything to the taste, it's a just a decent coffee bean that grows freely in the forests.
It was also really nice to have a cup of it in a family home in an isolated little mountain village off the beaten track rather than a high street coffee shop. My friend bought a bag of the beans from them to take home for about US$5, lord knows what it would cost in a store.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jan 2020, 02:25

It was interesting to compare the coffee from three different countries while hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc trail through France, Italy and Switzerland last Autumn. In summary the French think they make great coffee but don't, the Italians know they make great coffee and they do, and the Swiss know their coffee is lousy and it is :D

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jan 2020, 06:12

Europe makes coffe, i,e they grind beans and " make" coffee they might roast beans but they don't grow beans so it comes down to rhe grower, the roaster and the maker pf the coffee. That's what makes a good cup of coffee.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 04 Feb 2020, 11:54

Flower

Postby Flower » 05 Feb 2020, 12:14

It's so sad the way these Civets are treated. I'll keep to my old standbys of Colombian, Kona and other "civet free" coffee.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 05 Feb 2020, 12:32

It's always Tea for me, please.

Yorkshire Tea: Let's have a proper brew!

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Flower

Postby Flower » 06 Feb 2020, 11:29

Another nice brand of coffee ...

https://www.muskokaroastery.com/

Flower

Postby Flower » 07 Feb 2020, 10:17

I miss Community Coffee .. It' has great flavor and has a great price point.

https://www.communitycoffee.com/

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Mar 2020, 10:40

Jimbo wrote:If I had my druthers Colombian would be my bean of choice. Funnily, nutty Colombian used to be what we thought all coffee was. But now Colombian is expensive and I can't afford it.

I saw some top quality Columbian beans on sale yesterday, thought about your post and picked it up. I might go back for more .. :)

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 13 Mar 2020, 12:03

Flower wrote:
I saw some top quality Columbian beans on sale yesterday, ... and picked it up. I might go back for more .. :)

I lived in Colombia for a year in the 90s and the coffee was fucking dreadful. As were the white powders.
I was a little surprised until I actually bought a packet of beans to grind at home. On the side was a label threatening fines and even prison to anyone who took a packet out of the country. It turns out that they export all the good stuff and the coffee that the locals get is considered such poor quality it might damage the reputation of the industry abroad if anyone outside Colombia were to taste it.
Bugger off.

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 10 Apr 2020, 23:35

I only have coffee when I'm out because I don't trust anyone to make a cup of tea the way I like it. And I only have a latte cos it's easy to drink.

BTW, anyone had or even seen Camp coffee liqueur recently? I was just thinking about it this morning. My mum loved it.
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Return to “Nextdoorland”