Tom Waits For No One

Danny Baker - Massive Wanker?

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 May 2019, 09:53

Give a shit or be a shit.

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Danny Baker - Massive Wanker?

Postby Deebank » 09 May 2019, 10:49

He really didn't think that one through did he?

Sacked by the Beeb now. I wonder if this treatment will turn him into a massive neo-nazi twat - like that Hitler dog bloke :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 May 2019, 11:19

To be fair to DB he posts a lot of stuff on Twitter and I've never seen anything even vaguelly racist from him before.

He has completely fucked himself here though - he will be pincered from left ('It's racist') and right ('How dare he denigrate the saintly royals!').

Silly man.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

`

Postby ` » 09 May 2019, 11:27

Deebank wrote:To be fair to DB he posts a lot of stuff on Twitter and I've never seen anything even vaguelly racist from him before.

He has completely fucked himself here though - he will be pincered from left ('It's racist') and right ('How dare he denigrate the saintly royals!').

Silly man.

His rather slapdash use of the apostrophe is also likely to land him in hot water with grammarians

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 May 2019, 11:37

He absolutely gets on my wick, he seems to be lauded to the heavens by both football bores and classic rock bores. His TV shows on either topic seem to be about how great the 70s were, the only thing better being Danny himself.

I doubt he's a racist, but fuck him for being thick.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 May 2019, 11:49

He's a Millwall fan.

Need I say anymore?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 May 2019, 12:11

I never listen to his shows, but his books about his life are among some of the funniest I have ever read.
I’m not sure what to say about his tweet as I don’t know if he has a habit of tweeting bollocks, but this does seem rather poorly thought thorough.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 May 2019, 12:47

I don't have a strong opinion about the man either way because I rarely see or hear anything he does.

I do worry about people being pilloried for being careless, though. I've seen no evidence that the man is in any way a racist so I'm happy to assume he just didn't think before he wrote and he's just made a mistake, same as we all do from time to time.

I know that racism is a serious issue that needs addressing but there's an element of fundamentalism in the kind of criticism he's getting. This is clobbering someone who is probably on the right side of the argument rather than the people who really need to be dealt with.

Danny Baker's been sacked by the BBC but Nigel Farage will be on Question Time again some time soon.
Bugger off.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 May 2019, 12:55

[quote="Rorschach”]
Danny Baker's been sacked by the BBC but Nigel Farage will be on Question Time again some time soon.[/quote]

Tonight

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 May 2019, 13:22

Tom Waits For No One wrote:[quote="Rorschach”]
Danny Baker's been sacked by the BBC but Nigel Farage will be on Question Time again some time soon.[/quote]

Tonight[/quote]

That will be the 33rd time* he will have told us Brexiteers like him never get a platofrm.

* On QT alone.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 May 2019, 14:56

NYT Headline: BBC Fires Radio Host Over Racist Royal Baby Tweet

When you take away whatever feelings you may have about the radio host and the royals, that’s the bottom line. It’s a no brainer. British Royal Family gets first multiracial baby (and potential heir to crown) in living history. High profile BBC personality posts photo of a chimp, saying “royal baby leaves hospital.” Game over. You’re toast.

I sort of agree with Rorschach’s misgivings about the broader culture. And I understand people wanting to defend him. But whether Danny Baker is actually a racist or had racist intent is almost totally irrelevant in this circumstance.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 May 2019, 18:21

I've never heard of him so obviously don't know if he is a rascist or not but I do know he's an idiot.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 May 2019, 20:12

He has claimed that he didn't know who the parents of the child "Archie" were.

Seriously.

I mean, I'm no Royalist and do my best to avoid anything to do with them - but to seriously suggest a media savvy journalist in this country wasn't aware of that particular fact stretches credibility somewhat.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 May 2019, 20:41

His list of excuses makes me think he thinks we're all idiots.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 May 2019, 21:18

Danny Bacup

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 May 2019, 21:47

I don't know anything about the guy but, that really seems... More than careless.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

`

Postby ` » 10 May 2019, 09:29

Racist? No

Stupid and disingenuous? WIthout a doubt

Wilfully obnoxious? - It's Danny Baker, what else does one expect?

Should he have got the sack? Nope

As DD mentions above, a broadcaster on a predominantly talk radio station who claims to be unaware of Meghan Markle stretches goodwill to breaking point.

As does his claim of not even owning a mobile phone - This from a man who's made something like a gadzillion tweets

If the chimp snap is his 'go to' pic every time some posho pushes out another sprog, I'm sure he should be able to dig out at least two examples from recent years.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 May 2019, 11:30

So why should he not have been sacked?
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 May 2019, 11:49

For me it's all about the response. One can be exceedingly generous and accept that perhaps this was a very very stupid mistake, but the lack of humility in his response tells everything. Instead it becomes a tirade against the PC brigade and such nonsense.

[edit] actually it does look from the news this morning that he is showing much more contrition and accepting that he was an idiot
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 May 2019, 12:21

"Following one of the worst days of my life I just want to formally apologise for the outrage I caused and explain how I got myself into this mess.

"I chose the wrong photo to illustrate a joke. Disastrously so.

"In attempting to lampoon privilege and the news cycle I went to a file of goofy pictures and saw the chimp dressed as a Lord and thought, 'That's the one!' Had I kept searching I might have chosen General Tom Thumb or even a a baby in a crown. But I didn't. God knows I wish had.

"Minutes later I was alerted by followers that this royal baby was of course mixed race and waves of panic and revulsion washed over me... What had I done?

"I needed no lessons on the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest.

'Crass and regrettable blunder'

"But it was a genuine, naive and catastrophic mistake. There is of course little media/twitter traction in such a straight-forward explanation. The picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist. It was never intended so - seriously who on earth would 'go there'?"

He added: "Anyway I am now paying the price for this crass and regrettable blunder and rightly so. Probably even this final word from me will extend the mania. ('Dog whistle' anyone?) I would like to thank friends on here for their kinder words and once again - I am so, so sorry."

-----------------------------

I'm not sure that's quite as contrite as suggested. It still looks quite prickly and expecting everyone to believe the unbelievable.
Cocaine

Return to “Nextdoorland”