UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

Glasgow
47%
Edinburgh
53%

Total votes: 15

Jimbly

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Jimbly » 24 Feb 2018, 09:05

Well, if I stayed in or was from Glasgow maybe but....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Feb 2018, 10:05

Toby wrote:Edinburgh is the scottish equivalent of Tunbridge Wells isn't it?

How do you mean?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Feb 2018, 10:46

Goat Boy wrote:

How do you mean?

Nerve centre of seething right-wing aspirational middle class twee?
Not getting at you Toby, that was always the way it was portrayed when I was growing up/a young man. 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' was as much of a stock figure as The Man on the Clapham Omnibus (everyman) or a Covent Garden porter (swearyman)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Feb 2018, 11:18

Goat Boy wrote:

How do you mean?

Both have a lot of sandstone architecture.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Feb 2018, 12:09

K wrote:
Super-Jank wrote:Quite soon I have to decide between Edinburgh and Glasgow for my next home.

I've been offered summer work in both places and everybody tells me Edinburgh is more beautiful - but it's also more expensive, has all the twee touristy shit, and it's shit for gigs. It sounds to me a bit like Prague - full of history but culturally stagnant.

Glasgow is gritty and a REAL BIG CITY. And the West End is great.

Go to Lerwick.

Or Dundee.

The twee touristy shit is really just around the Royal Mile and nobody local goes there anyway. Glasgow is way better for gigs but, let's face it, 99% of them you'd have no interest in anyway. It used to bother me when I first moved down but then I was still listening to more new music and wanting to go to gigs more. These days I'm less bothered by it. If a band I really like are playing in Glasgow I can always drive through or get the train. It's not ideal but it's only an hour away.

I don't think Edinburgh is culturally stagnant at all and it's not like Glasgow is New York you know?

If you want gritty I can recommend Muirhouse or Pilton.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Feb 2018, 12:13

PENK wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

How do you mean?

Both have a lot of sandstone architecture.

Ahhhhhh!

A lot of people mischaracterise Edinburgh you know.

joklend

Postby joklend » 24 Feb 2018, 12:21

Yeah, much of Edinburgh is grittier than people often imagine, or can see from Princes Street.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 24 Feb 2018, 15:16

Super-Jank wrote:Quite soon I have to decide between Edinburgh and Glasgow for my next home.

Go to Falkirk and get the best of both worlds! Or, do an Alex Trocchi and flit up and down the Forth-Clyde canal on a houseboat, if it’s still going.

Best of luck, anyway. Is this the end of your European adventures, John?

echolalia

Re: UK cities ranking

Postby echolalia » 24 Feb 2018, 15:24

Toby wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
echolalia wrote:
Brighton

It's not what it was sadly. You can still have a fun night out there though.

Yeah it's been gentrified a lot - the price for being an hour from London and by the sea.

I think it's alway had a genteel side to it though, hasn't it? Like many towns on the south coast, perhaps. Being nostalgic I like to imagine West Street is still unsafe on a Friday night!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Feb 2018, 15:41

echolalia wrote:
Toby wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
It's not what it was sadly. You can still have a fun night out there though.

Yeah it's been gentrified a lot - the price for being an hour from London and by the sea.

I think it's alway had a genteel side to it though, hasn't it? Like many towns on the south coast, perhaps. Being nostalgic I like to imagine West Street is still unsafe on a Friday night!

Certainly when I first visited Kemptown in the 1970s there were some seriously sedate streets up by where the Marina now stands.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2018, 16:14

Rayge wrote:
echolalia wrote:

Certainly when I first visited Kemptown in the 1970s there were some seriously sedate streets up by where the Marina now stands.

I don't think Toby is talking about it being 'genteel' though. There has been a lot of new building in the centre of town, there are parts you wouldn't recognise now. It's become very rich, you can smell the money around. The bohemian character that was so unique to it when I lived there has almost totally gone now.

You'd be better off looking at somewhere like Hastings if you want some of the vibe Brighton had thirty years ago.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Feb 2018, 16:23

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:
echolalia wrote:

I don't think Toby is talking about it being 'genteel' though. There has been a lot of new building in the centre of town, there are parts you wouldn't recognise now. It's become very rich, you can smell the money around. The bohemian character that was so unique to it when I lived there has almost totally gone now.

I was replying to echolalia, and his comments about past gentility.

And I've been there quite a bit in the last two years. certainly the topography has changed in the last forty years, and I guess the population has changed as the nation has changed, but I felt it's still in spirit and ambience the Brighton I knew well in the 70s 80s and 90s. Certainly no less boho (although possibly fewer student hovels) in the bits I frequented.
But it's all context really.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2018, 16:28

And I was replying to Echolalia!

I don't know Ray...that's not my impression, or indeed of people I know who have lived there a long time. Superficially parts like the North Laines haven't changed that much I guess, but it feels very different. I think that it's changed pretty radically is widely accepted among people I know. What you think about this depends where you're coming from though. For rich people who have maybe swapped Islington for Brighton, then seeing it go upmarket is a good thing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Feb 2018, 16:57

A lucky escape! Coming from Aberdeen it's a thing to take the piss out of the place because it makes us feel better about Aberdoom but these days it's Dundee that is on the up and Aberdoom which is on the serious slide.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2018, 17:07

Goat Boy wrote:A lucky escape! Coming from Aberdeen it's a thing to take the piss out of the place because it makes us feel better about Aberdoom but these days it's Dundee that is on the up and Aberdoom which is on the serious slide.

What's happened to the oil money?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Feb 2018, 17:19

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:A lucky escape! Coming from Aberdeen it's a thing to take the piss out of the place because it makes us feel better about Aberdoom but these days it's Dundee that is on the up and Aberdoom which is on the serious slide.

What's happened to the oil money?

https://www.scotsman.com/regions/aberdeen-north-east/aberdeen-expected-to-be-hit-by-5-500-north-sea-job-losses-within-10-years-1-4658091

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/06/north-sea-oil-gas-jobs-oil-price

There's been huge job losses for years now. i was up there for a wedding a couple of years ago and talking to locals it was like the industry has just collapsed. People were struggling to find work, the big pay packets had gone etc. Depressing stuff.

I was paid off in early 2009 but that was just the start. It was always kind of a bubble economy I guess. I mean I was doing fuck all up there and getting paid 35g a year for it and I was one of the low earners. Lots of people were getting paid much, much more. For some people they've gone from being flush to really struggling. Maybe it will bounce back, to a degree, but it's going to end one day.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Feb 2018, 18:55

The Modernist wrote:And I was replying to Echolalia!

I don't know Ray...that's not my impression, or indeed of people I know who have lived there a long time. Superficially parts like the North Laines haven't changed that much I guess, but it feels very different. I think that it's changed pretty radically is widely accepted among people I know. What you think about this depends where you're coming from though. For rich people who have maybe swapped Islington for Brighton, then seeing it go upmarket is a good thing.

I don’t know about that.
I lived there or nearby for 25 years and visit often and while bits of central Brighton and parts of Hove may have a modicum of rich commuters - they always have - you only have to pop a few mins walk from Kemp Town and you’re confronted with the horrors of
Whitehawk it hasn’t changed that much since the war really it’s always been seedy and fun.

It’s the North Laine by the way - Laine being a Saxon word for field.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2018, 21:33

Deebank wrote:

I don’t know about that.
I lived there or nearby for 25 years and visit often and while bits of central Brighton and parts of Hove may have a modicum of rich commuters - they always have - you only have to pop a few mins walk from Kemp Town and you’re confronted with the horrors of
Whitehawk it hasn’t changed that much since the war really it’s always been seedy and fun.

Who the hell ever goes to Whitehawk??
That's like judging London on an estate in Edmonton.
Seedy and fun? What's that meant to mean...ooh let's hang out on a deprived estate for a night..

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Feb 2018, 21:36

The Modernist wrote:
Deebank wrote:

I don’t know about that.

Who the hell ever goes to Whitehawk??
That's like judging London on an estate in Edmonton.
Seedy and fun? What's that meant to mean...ooh let's hang out on a deprived estate for a night..

Brighton is small so all those people from Whitehawk, Bevendean, Coldean, Portslade and Moulsecombe throng the centre of town in exactly the way people from Edmonton don’t throng the streets of Chelsea and Knightsbridge. It’s is utterly different and all the better for it. But that wasn’t what I was getting at by ‘seedy’ thatsto do with the general air of decadence and decay, clubs and brothels etc.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Feb 2018, 22:03

I'd be surprise if you've spent your time in Brighton hanging out with people from Whitehawk.
I used to work to for the council dealing with the housing problems and social problems (which were numerous) in Moulsecombe. There was absolutely nothing romantic about it believe me.

Return to “Nextdoorland”