UK
40%

Total votes: 45

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: US vs. UK round two: the food

Postby naughty boy » 06 Dec 2018, 08:41

PENK wrote:
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Every time I put on some US TV show they’re all bouncing around in the back of a car singing about going for fucking ‘FROZEN YOH-GURT’

My absolute favourite scene in Roots.

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Dec 2018, 09:20

Toby wrote: Chez Penisse.

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 06 Dec 2018, 11:03

Seeing as Brexit is the only topic on the news at the moment, it's worth reminding ourselves of one of the catastrophic effects of a No Deal exit.

UK food standards are predicted to drop following pressure from the US. Not just any old drop, but drop so low that they are almost at the levels of America food standards.

We're being threatened with chlorinated chicken, more antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones and organic arsenic in our food.
Imagine the sight of 100 children all eating KFC at the swimming baths. In the shallow end.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2018, 11:19

Chlorinated Chicken sounds bad but it actually isn't.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 06 Dec 2018, 11:44

The theory is that farmers relying chlorine washes take less care of each stage of the process instead relying on a chlorine wash at the end.

In other words without the chlorine wash, farmers take more care rather then relying on chlorines to kill all the bad stuff. EU chickens are only washed in water. This also leads to better levels of animal welfare.

Robert

Postby Robert » 06 Dec 2018, 11:58

The Prof wrote:Seeing as Brexit is the only topic on the news at the moment, it's worth reminding ourselves of one of the catastrophic effects of a No Deal exit.

UK food standards are predicted to drop following pressure from the US. Not just any old drop, but drop so low that they are almost at the levels of America food standards.

We're being threatened with chlorinated chicken, more antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones and organic arsenic in our food.

And lots of GMO's

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Dec 2018, 12:37

Toby wrote:It's a draw.

Given that the UK could fit into Texas, it is unsurprising that we don't have much in the way of variation. But when Americans crow on about regional cuisines, there's basically about 5 and that's in a country the size of Europe. So don't kid yourself that you've got this massive selection. There is more variety in Italy alone.

The UK wins on high calibre restaurants. Chez Panisse and a few other select Californian ones aside, given our size there are simply more per sq km over here. When places like Cumbria have Michelin star places it tells you a lot. You could drive across the entirety of the Mid West before getting something good to eat.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 14:19

Toby wrote:It's a draw.

Given that the UK could fit into Texas, it is unsurprising that we don't have much in the way of variation. But when Americans crow on about regional cuisines, there's basically about 5 and that's in a country the size of Europe. So don't kid yourself that you've got this massive selection. There is more variety in Italy alone.

The UK wins on high calibre restaurants. Chez Panisse and a few other select Californian ones aside, given our size there are simply more per sq km over here. When places like Cumbria have Michelin star places it tells you a lot. You could drive across the entirety of the Mid West before getting something good to eat.

but we aren't talking Italy or all of Europe we are talking about the UK. I've eaten at enough high calibre restaurants to know that the greatest thing about them is the bill. That being said I highly doubt that the UK has more than the entire US. The US is far from the capital of cuisine or best country for food but against the UK. ;)

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Dec 2018, 14:31

Hightea wrote:That being said I highly doubt that the UK has more than the entire US.

I think he was referring to restaurants with Michelin stars. But, as someone else mentioned, Michelin only covers three or four American cities. So, obviously, you’re correct.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Dec 2018, 14:38

I don't honestly know how you'd rate the quality of food/restaurants overall in a country, but going by the number of Michelin-starred places is definitely a daft idea.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2018, 15:01

Don't see why not personally. It's a reflection of the food culture of the country to a certain extent. It is a barometer of the quality of chefs for one thing. There has been a quiet revolution in food in the UK since the turn of the century and that is articulated by the sheer number of excellent restaurants here, not only in London but throughout the country.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2018, 15:06

Btw The USA has 148 Michelin compared to the UK with 163. France has 600 and Japan over 400

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Dec 2018, 15:18

Toby wrote:Btw The USA has New York, DC, Chicago, and the Bay Area have 148 Michelin compared to the UK with 163. France has 600 and Japan over 400

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2018, 15:21

So why don't they cover the rest of the country?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Dec 2018, 15:23

'Cause truck stop food is pretty bad.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Dec 2018, 15:24

Not enough eels.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Dec 2018, 15:43

Toby wrote:So why don't they cover the rest of the country?

I do not know. Do you?

I was clarifying what it really means when you compare Michelin rated restaurants in the United States with those in the U.K. It is a potentially misleading comparison.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Dec 2018, 15:47

The vast majority of people do not go near Michelin restaurants in their lifetimes. They are exclusive, expensive, and not representative.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2018, 15:51

Well you would say that, given your predilection for microwaved Jalfrezi!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Dec 2018, 15:51

Toby wrote:So why don't they cover the rest of the country?

They’re just too scared of having their minds blown by the OVERWHELMING CULINARY EXPERIENCES on offer in Logan, Utah!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Nextdoorland”