MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Feb 2018, 20:46

souphound wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I've been fighting a bad cold the last couple days and really didn't want to go to work today. But sometimes, you have to fake it to make it and just step out the door. I took some daytime cold medicine before I left my apartment and now I just feel kinda sick at work vs. really sick at work because I'm doing stuff and can't really focus on being sick.

I'll probably feel crappy again as it gets to later afternoon and get home, but at least I'm not just sitting like a turd in my apartment watching shitty daytime TV.

I just went through a bout of the flu that lasted well over 2 weeks. There's an epidemic here with older people clogging up the hospitals, some even dying from it. Really bad. Hope it's "only" a cold and not the flu.

It's really bad. The guy who organizes our annual Easter-weekend hockey tournament just lost his 10-year old nephew to the flu, and that's the not the only one I've heard of.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2018, 21:19

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
souphound wrote:I just went through a bout of the flu that lasted well over 2 weeks. There's an epidemic here with older people clogging up the hospitals, some even dying from it. Really bad. Hope it's "only" a cold and not the flu.

It's really bad. The guy who organizes our annual Easter-weekend hockey tournament just lost his 10-year old nephew to the flu, and that's the not the only one I've heard of.

There were 4,064 deaths from pneumonia or influenza, according to the CDC data, during the third week of January.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 15 Feb 2018, 11:30

Today I have to drive 3 hrs to be a witness in traffic court for my best friend. He got a B.S. $180 ticket for a U-Turn back in Sept. taking his kids to school while I was visiting. The cop was a total dick. Very rude. A bunch of parents got ticketed that morning. It was apparently some sort of sting operation on upper-middle-class people. Good to see the authorities are attempting to spread the harassment around evenly, I suppose.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Feb 2018, 14:05

I was two feet away from being the next Snarfyguy this morning as a big pile of snow and ice fell off a building right in front of me. Scary stuff!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Feb 2018, 16:23

Only Irish weather can have snow, sleet, rain, hailstones and wind together at any one time.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Feb 2018, 16:27

The Great Defector wrote:Only Irish weather can have snow, sleet, rain, hailstones and wind together at any one time.

Never been to Canada have you?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Feb 2018, 16:28

souphound wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Only Irish weather can have snow, sleet, rain, hailstones and wind together at any one time.

Nope, might be before the end of the year though.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Feb 2018, 16:59

The Great Defector wrote:
souphound wrote:

Whereabouts? Toronto I bet.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Feb 2018, 17:07

souphound wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
souphound wrote:

Whereabouts? Toronto I bet.

Ottawa, my aunt is over there and is trying to get my ma over. However she doesn't want to go by herself. My brother might be going over for work related stuff, if not, then it will probably be me.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Feb 2018, 17:47

The Great Defector wrote:Ottawa, my aunt is over there and is trying to get my ma over. However she doesn't want to go by herself. My brother might be going over for work related stuff, if not, then it will probably be me.

Ottawa's quaint. A bit quiet for my taste, but OK nonetheless. My sister and her family live there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Feb 2018, 17:59

toomanyhatz wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Isn't red wine for meat eaters?

No.

In theory most kinds of fish pair better with white than red, but there's some exceptions to that - salmon, for example. And for a vegetarian diet - particularly if there's mushrooms or any kind of fake meat involved - red pairs better with almost everything.

Likewise I will drink a good white once in a blue moon, but generally speaking I am not a fan.

My point was that it sounds like you're trying to rationalize your taste for red wine for white wine. Just say you like red wine better instead of trying to invent a reason for it.

I happen to like white wine better and don't need someone else's stupid rules to tell me what I should eat with or not.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Feb 2018, 18:32

souphound wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Ottawa, my aunt is over there and is trying to get my ma over. However she doesn't want to go by herself. My brother might be going over for work related stuff, if not, then it will probably be me.

Ottawa's quaint. A bit quiet for my taste, but OK nonetheless. My sister and her family live there.

I'm just hoping to get to a raptors game some how, I think Toronto's like 4 hours away. I'll probably have to sit through a hockey game though at some stage. :(

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Feb 2018, 18:34

sloopjohnc wrote:
My point was that it sounds like you're trying to rationalize your taste for red wine for white wine. Just say you like red wine better instead of trying to invent a reason for it.

I happen to like white wine better and don't need someone else's stupid rules to tell me what I should eat with or not.

Yes, I'm well aware of the non-conformity of your culinary habits. :D

Also, it was you that brought up wine pairings, not me. I don't pay that much attention to them, to be honest. I'm more of a beer drinker anyway, in general.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 15 Feb 2018, 18:43

What wine best pairs with a Breakfast Burrito? A cheeky Chateauneuf du Pape?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Feb 2018, 18:47

nev harp wrote:What wine best pairs with a Breakfast Burrito? A cheeky Chateauneuf du Pape?

For Sloop I'd suggest an '08 Dominus. Go bold or go home.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Feb 2018, 19:07

toomanyhatz wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Yes, I'm well aware of the non-conformity of your culinary habits. :D .

:lol:

They are bold and piquant, that is true.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Feb 2018, 19:08

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
nev harp wrote:What wine best pairs with a Breakfast Burrito? A cheeky Chateauneuf du Pape?

For Sloop I'd suggest an '08 Dominus. Go bold or go home.

I got your '08 Dominus right here, buddy.

But that's kinda my response to everything.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Feb 2018, 19:53

Once you go Sloop you'll never go back.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Feb 2018, 12:20

PresMuffley wrote:Today I have to drive 3 hrs to be a witness in traffic court for my best friend. He got a B.S. $180 ticket for a U-Turn back in Sept. taking his kids to school while I was visiting. The cop was a total dick. Very rude. A bunch of parents got ticketed that morning. It was apparently some sort of sting operation on upper-middle-class people. Good to see the authorities are attempting to spread the harassment around evenly, I suppose.

The officer retired recently. Case dismissed!

I would never be so lucky. It was a B.S.ticket, though.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Feb 2018, 12:36

I got three offers for car insurance. One at over 900 euros, one at just over 600 euro and one at just under 500 euro. With the same access to stats in my case, how the fuck do three difference insurance companies come up with 3 such different quotes? Fuck me.

Return to “Nextdoorland”