MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2021, 19:50

:P
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Mar 2021, 20:25

Minnie the Minx wrote:Do you work in a borstal PP?

No, but I work with 15 year olds with severe autism. Some of my students can become overwhelmed sensorily (too much noise, too many demands, too much language etc) and kick, scratch, punch and bite. Or hurt themselves, which is difficult to watch. Some triggers are obvious, but some aren't - it could be something that happened last week, it pops into their brain, and whump. You are on high alert all the time, and drained at the end of the day.
On ther hand, we are not just carers - this is school, so we try and develop the students' skills to self-regulate. Every now and then you see huge progress, and it makes the previous four years' work worth it.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Mar 2021, 20:28

Oh, I get it. Sorry, I sounded tactless.
Nearly all my siblings work in that field in various different roles, very challenging and rewarding, as you say.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Mar 2021, 20:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:Oh, I get it. Sorry, I sounded tactless.
Nearly all my siblings work in that field in various different roles, very challenging and rewarding, as you say.

I didn't think you were tactless - it was funny!

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Apr 2021, 20:07

Looking forward to the beef brisket tonight that we're picking up at our local BBQ joint. :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Apr 2021, 10:30

Its my Mum and Dad's 60th Wedding Anniversary today. They only managed 15 years together. I'll raise a wee glass to them later.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Apr 2021, 10:50

Positive Passion wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Do you work in a borstal PP?

No, but I work with 15 year olds with severe autism. Some of my students can become overwhelmed sensorily (too much noise, too many demands, too much language etc) and kick, scratch, punch and bite. Or hurt themselves, which is difficult to watch. Some triggers are obvious, but some aren't - it could be something that happened last week, it pops into their brain, and whump. You are on high alert all the time, and drained at the end of the day.
On ther hand, we are not just carers - this is school, so we try and develop the students' skills to self-regulate. Every now and then you see huge progress, and it makes the previous four years' work worth it.

Yesterday was World Autism Awareness Day and I had some convos with some of my friends who have children on the spectrum. Terrific how they handle the every day pressures and full credit to you for your part in helping them on their way.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 Apr 2021, 16:49

I was rudely awakened at 10:30 on this fine Saturday morning by an errant doorbell ring. Turns out the ringer was a lovely, well-appointed young lady carrying flowers for delivery to a friend a couple of doors down (the entrances look identical). Her apologetic smile made everything forgivable instantly.

10 bloody 30. Wake up you old fart. :roll:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 05 Apr 2021, 09:54

I'm having a few days holiday, 4 to be exact. I've been pottering about in the flat getting to things that I've been meaning to for months. The Wee Guy is back for Easter holidays as well. Enjoying my quiet coffee before he gets up. Just wish it was a bit warmer.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Apr 2021, 15:59

After months of lockdown completely halting their house sale, coupled with a final semi disastrous building report that threatened to scupper the whole thing, my folks have a moving date - in just three weeks. They are moving in to a rental in town, near the canal, near my sister's house, bus and train routes, craft and art shops, pubs, bars, restaurants, chip shops and OTHER PEOPLE. Not driving, my stepmum has been totally isolated up on the moors for years even though the views were spectacular. She's going to be able to wander out on her own and this is going to be life changing for her- and us, as we can walk from theirs to my sisters and back and have bolt holes for my yearly furious row with my Dad about whether I am qualified to use the washing machine or not. They are in the process of packing which I can't even think about - they've been happy hoarders for years and now have to get rid of it all in a matter of days. A big relief all round!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Apr 2021, 05:03

Moving, especially after living in a place a long time can be a drag but it sounds like a good move for them.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 08 Apr 2021, 11:02

My Dad would've been 93 today.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 14 Apr 2021, 22:13

I just made $300 in the music industry (music consulting). Never thought we would make any money in Music as i'm not a musician. :lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 16 Apr 2021, 13:18

i saw a robin proudly displaying a very long worm that he just caught. He was so proud and waving the worm in front of the other robins in the meadow. I rarely see birds with worms and this was a treat. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Apr 2021, 15:11

Flower wrote:i saw a robin proudly displaying a very long worm that he just caught. He was so proud and waving the worm in front of the other robins in the meadow. I rarely see birds with worms and this was a treat. :D

It's funny never saw that much either. However last few years taking pictures of birds with a major zoom lens I realize it happens all the time.
I love Robins they always look proud with there chest sticking out.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Apr 2021, 20:40

Tonight R and I are going to our first live show in a year. Granted it is only a Grateful Dead cover band, The Nipper Brothers but they are really good and I miss live music so much. Now that we are vaccinated + 3 weeks we feel safe enough to venture out. Many of the crowd will also be protected as at least half the crowd if not more are of an age, ahem. It is outdoors with tables that are reserved and no dancing yet but at least it will be live music. The cider will be flowing.

Edit: masks are still required and tables are limited to your own family/household. You don’t have to wear masks while sitting at the table but if you get up, i,e, buy cider or food, then mask goes back on.
Last edited by Six String on 19 Apr 2021, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Apr 2021, 21:04

I've had my hair cut, three inches off.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 19 Apr 2021, 22:14

My phone service provider had problems today. Most of the day with no texts, no net, just phone calls. Makes you realize how dependent you've become to those things, unfortunately.

I went and took a nice long walk instead of putzing around on the web. 8-)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Apr 2021, 01:07

We abandoned our original 10th wedding anniversary getaway plan, which involved going somewhere very densely populated, to somewhere with no fucker about - Abiquiu, New Mexico. We didn't want to get on a plane yet either, so we drove. It's not the first time we've driven to New Mexico, though we entered at a different point this time. The journey out of Texas took us through what seemed like eight different weather systems, culminating in grapefruit sized hailstones that shattered windscreens and scared the living fucking shit out of us and everybody else, judging by the amount of motorists who just swerved off the road and sheltered under big old oak trees.

I love leaving Texas and seeing the land morph into something else - all the floral, swaying cacti and muted pastels replacing the dust and oil derricks. For miles everything just sort of fades out, until you know you're well and truly somewhere else. We crossed the bridge over the Rio Grande at a deep, cavernous point where the ferocity of the waters below was sort of astonishing. People got out of their cars, ran to the bridge and looked over, yelled OH MY GOD, took selfies then ran back to their cars. As did we!

Our place was isolated, great and surrounded by mountains. From all the west facing windows you could see Pedernal, the mountain Georgia O' Keeffe painted a trillion times. (she had said that God said if she painted it enough, she could have it.) It was really notable that when all the clouds and winds passed over it, they always seemed to leave a special residue on the flat top, making it look like it was wearing a little wig, or crown, or that it had its own little ecosystem going on. I did fancy having a go at climbing it, as the views are supposedly spectacular and of course Georgia is scattered up there, but we read the reviews which said things like: "experienced climbers may find this challenging" and "rattlesnakes live in the handholds" so we left that for the likes of the Belle Lettre family :D

One new thing we did this time was visit the Blanca Plaza, a dazzling old range of cathedral-like white chalk (and another O'Keeffe painting spot, blah blah.) This was a quite bizarre excursion -the land is now owned by an Islamic retreat and the guidebook said you simply arrive, and then you can walk around as long as you stay on the paths. We spent a while trying to find the entrance which had a "closed due to Covid" sign on it, however, as we backed out, the gates swung open very slowly so we drove forth up a very hilly and winding road to another set of gates which again, let us through slowly, closing behind us. To be polite, I tried to check in on the office at this enormous mosque, which was absolutely deserted. I knocked on huge wooden doors shouting HELLO expecting an Imam to pop out with a mask on and give me a thumbs up, but nothing. It was like a scene from The Prisoner. Anyway, I said fuck it and we drove through the final set of gates to the car park and then walked to the structures, which were absolutely extraordinary. The quiet was immense. I recommend it to anyone.

We also took a proper tour round Ghost Ranch where O Keeffe's first house was ( I like Georgia O'Keeffe) and got as close up as possible without intruding on the land around it. For some reason, the estate has not opened this house up like the one at Abiquiu, which is a massive shame but will surely happen one day. The house at Abiquiu was also regrettably closed because of Covid -they usually have private tours organized by the museum. I stood outside and peeked over the fence, to all the wispy plum trees and incredible views from this hillside perch. All the irrigation ditches outside the high adobe walls were now running dry but you could imagine how they were when she lived there and they watered the flowers, fruits and vegetables.

We had a couple of pit stops to Santa Fe and Taos, and went into a few art galleries and gift shops so I could bring home even more cards and enough salsa to rot all my rugae. It was incredibly noticeable that everybody - everybody - in New Mexico socially distanced and wore masks. When I say everybody, I mean everybody. Signs everywhere urged community efforts and instead of flashing signs warning against speed on the road, they said " we don't want a third surge, do we? Mask up." It was so welcome, having left a State that has lost its fucking mind.

On our last evening there it snowed- proper, soft and swirling snow that settled on the mountains. When we set off early the next morning, all the mountains were covered in what looked like piped pink icing as the sun came up, then reverted back to white snow. I bought some books on Abiquiu and am embarrassed at how ignorant I am of the long, long history of the inhabitants of this area. Baron is, I think it's fair to say, fucking done with the States but he loves New Mexico too. Who knows where we will end up! I'm certainly done with the crazy arse politics of sections of the States, but as for the land itself -what an incredible place it really is.

Dr Markus wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 22 Apr 2021, 01:27

WOW!

Return to “Nextdoorland”