RIP Jack the Cat - May 13, 1999-Oct 15, 2011

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Jack the Cat - your prayers/well-wishes are appreciated!

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Dec 2010, 01:39

Jack is suddenly sorry that he's fixed. The females still "Hubba-hubba" in his direction from time to time. This skinny, he's kinda got some heroin chic going on. The shaved arms where the needles went in make the Thunderisms even stronger. Puking is of course never sexy, but the boy still has it going ahhhwwwn, even so.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Dec 2010, 08:08

Good luck to Jack and you guys, from me and snowball.

(This is Snowball, not me)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 21 Dec 2010, 19:29

I've seen her pic on facebook if she's the one I'm thinking of, Bob. Go for it! She looks like a beauty.

I think we're taking her. Met last night & she's really sweet. Jonathan took her to the vet this morning & if she comes back with a clean bill of health she's moving in.

Elise thinks it is awesome that we're adopting a cat that already has followers on Facebook!

Thinking of naming her Ella Guru.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Jan 2011, 23:47

Sadly I haven't posted here lately mainly because the news has not been very good. While Jack is still acting like he's enjoying life, and does not seem defeated in any way, the chemo doesn't seem to be taking either. He's still throwing up pretty much on a daily basis, and is losing weight at an alarming rate. We realized just how bad it was getting when we saw the paperwork from his checkup in April- a mere 9 months ago. His weight at the time was 11.8 lbs. It's now down to 7.2 (and possibly less as he seems to be losing .4 each time we go in).

We're trying to stay optimistic, and we'll obviously keep the treatment going as long as there's any hope and he doesn't seem to be struggling too badly, but we're also trying to prepare ourselves for the worst. We're going in for an ultrasound tomorrow and are pretty much expecting to be told that the cancer is spreading and that there's little hope.

Beyond things turning around very quickly, our next goal is to see if we can celebrate his 12th birthday with him. As it's mid-May, though, I think chances might be dim.

Thank you all for your support up to this point, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Whatever healing thoughts you can send his way are always appreciated, but now more than ever.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 06 Jan 2011, 23:50

Oh dear, I'm sorry about Jack. Sniff.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 06 Jan 2011, 23:53

Best of luck to Jack, poor guy. There's a lot of love around, he's lucky to have you.
king of the divan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 07 Jan 2011, 00:00

love and hope for jack ::smack::

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 07 Jan 2011, 00:01

I know what you're going through. You just have to keep doing what you're doing and hope for the best.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 07 Jan 2011, 00:44

Wishing you both the best... this is one of the hardest things you can go through.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 07 Jan 2011, 00:59

Keep him rich in sunbeams. I understand your situation all too well. Cats have more dignity than most people I know. You've been a great friend.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 07 Jan 2011, 04:23

Thanks for all the well wishes. You are all so kind. xoxo The BCB community is full of animal lovers.

This has been really, really difficult and I'm afraid it's only going to get tougher. :cry: He is such a cool kitty, and it sucks that he has to go through all of this. I love hanging out with him; he's the best little rehearsal buddy there is. He just sits on the bed while I play my keyboard, and listens. He's so sweet and sociable and good-natured. When we have parties, he always wants to come downstairs and say hi to everyone. I have never seen another cat like him!

When it gets to the point where he seems to be suffering miserably nonstop, we'll make the tough decision then.In the meantime, we're just going to give him all the love and care we can, and just try to make him as comfortable and happy as possible.
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 07 Jan 2011, 15:25

Really sorry you're having to go through this. He seems like such a sweet cat.

Sending positive thoughts your way.
The crazy music drives you insane

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Jan 2011, 16:59

They truly steal your heart, the little sods.
Sending you very many good wishes, I'm sorry you're going through this.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 07 Jan 2011, 19:27

Very very sad. Where there's life there's still hope though.

"That government governs best that governs least."

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 07 Jan 2011, 19:50

Poor little Jack. Thinking of you all.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jan 2011, 03:14

Well, the diagnosis was pretty much what we expected. Jack's not responding to the treatment, and now has a mass which, in a healthy cat, could probably be taken care of with surgery, but the doctor doesn't recommend it in his weakened condition. After much deliberation we are leaning toward not only not doing the surgery, but discontinuing the chemo as well. No point in putting his constitution, and our wallets, through it considering it's pretty clear it's not working.

Basically, the best option seems to be to let him live out whatever time he's got left with as little pain and discomfort as possible. Meanwhile we can take longer to say goodbye than we had with Greta, but it sure doesn't seem like that miraculous recovery is going to happen. At best guess, he's got a few months, unless we decide to end his suffering prematurely. We'll make that decision when the time comes, but not as long as he's still getting some enjoyment out of life. Yesterday he was, though today has not been a good day.
Footy wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Jan 2011, 03:26

Sorry, to hear that, Dave. I know how much you love the little guy. You'll know when the time is right, I guess.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 08 Jan 2011, 03:41

i'm so, so very sorry to hear it. my love is with y'all and with jack. i know it may not sound like much, but there's a lot to be said for having some time left with the lad, ya know? time for love. i'm not just being a sap, here (although i am one.) jack knows how much y'all love him. i truly believe, after almost fifty years full of people and animals, that the animals know it to their core more purely than *most* people do. they know.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 08 Jan 2011, 21:04

Hi there - I posted the following on Facebook this morning, but since you're not all on Facebook (not yet), here it is:

Hello friends and kitty lovers:

We received some sad, though not unsurprising news, at the vet's yesterday. An ultrasound revealed a tumor, along with another mass that is possibly ulcerous. Due to Jack's debilitated condition (he's down to 7.2 pounds, and has been losing 4/10 of a pound every two weeks), the vet does not recommend surgery. He also said they'd probably have to remove part of Jack's intestine if they performed surgery.

In addition to that, Jack has not been responding at all to the chemo treatments. He's had four of them, and by now, the vet says he usually sees cats start to improve: they put on weight, stop vomiting, etc. He said 90% of cats respond to the treatment in its early stages; unfortunately Jack's in the 10% that isn't. Though he's still eating, he's losing weight at an alarming rate; the food is not giving him any nutrients at this point. The vet said he doesn't see him lasting more than three months.

Because of the above, we've decided to not put Jack through any more chemo treatments. We just want to keep him as comfortable and happy as possible through the end. As for now, he only seems truly miserable when he's suffering from diarrhea (who isn't?), and as of yesterday, he started to have trouble controlling his limbs and stumbles while walking. The rest of the time he's resting peacefully.

When it gets to the point where we have to have him put to sleep, we'll know; we definitely don't want to extend his suffering. For now, we'll try to give him all the love we can.

Thanks to you all for your support and kind words for our baby boy.

Love, Carolyn
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Jan 2011, 21:12

Carolyn, it's always worse for those who watch and wait. No decision you make will be a wrong one. When it's his time he will go loved and cared for. I'm thinking about you.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Births, Marriages & Deaths”