Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
Jock

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby Jock » 28 Aug 2008, 17:49

Always Cheated Never Defeated

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 28 Aug 2008, 18:00

I didn't know him but from what y'all said I wish I had.

RIP, sir.
my attention span, or thereabouts

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 Aug 2008, 18:03

RIP

Tom Violence wrote:Take it as it comes, don't fret. if you think loads about things, in my experience they're equally likely to turn out wrong as if you adopt a more 'take each day' approach. Of course, you are in charge of your destiny to an extent and you need to make plans but I'm not bothered about where I'll be in five years particularly. But I doubt I'll get married and I'm certainly not having kids.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

sensi

Postby sensi » 28 Aug 2008, 18:06

Dave also suggested we should have the next York jolly up in his honour too?...I'm sure the Three Legged Mare would be accommodating under the circumstances...we did put a few hundred behind their bar at that jolly up and I remember Ali was gutted when he found out we all got a free drink...as he offered to drive Loonybin and Fartpants home...he said he'd never had a free drink off a landlord before.

I'd ceratinly attend.

The letter has gone to his parents today...I wasn't going to post it as I didn't want it dissected (the way we sometimes do on here)...you'll have to trust me as you trusted Smamf with Vierra...if I get a response I'll let you know straight away.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 28 Aug 2008, 18:40

Thanks Jane, you're a star.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Aug 2008, 18:54

Nice one, Jane. Well done.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 28 Aug 2008, 19:12

Sensemeliawopnibop wrote:The letter has gone to his parents today...I wasn't going to post it as I didn't want it dissected (the way we sometimes do on here)...you'll have to trust me as you trusted Smamf with Vierra...if I get a response I'll let you know straight away.

Yeah, if we were doing it by BCB committee, it probably wouldn't have gotten sent til 2018. :lol: So good on you, and thanks, Jane.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Django

Postby Django » 28 Aug 2008, 20:10

I hope Jane won't mind me saying this, but she PM'd me the text of the letter she has sent, and it's absolutely note perfect. I don't think I could have come up with something so beautifully worded if I had been given a month to work on it.

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 28 Aug 2008, 20:54

I'm truly saddened to hear this tragic news. RIP PBF!

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 28 Aug 2008, 21:28

He was a true gem. He challenged me at times and opened my mind quite often to a more passionate way of thinking.

This board will be all the poorer without his unbridled enthusiasm and willingness to express his true thoughts even if they were unpopular at times here. A healthy perspective that was always read with appreciation by myself. I will most definitely miss him.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2008, 21:46

Christ, I've just remembered my first encounter with him, on BCB. He'd posted a particularly vitriolic denouncement of one of my posts - so much so, I was convinced he had to be an alias! We had a right 'set to', and I remember someone who knew him coming on to tell me that he was for real. We then took it to pm's, and I had a fabulous exchange with him, where I ended up with a real empathy for his position.

We didn't agree on much, but I loved his passion and belief in the music he so clearly adored. It just makes the outcome even more poignant for me - what a horrible waste of a young, vibrant life.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 28 Aug 2008, 21:48

Diamond Dog wrote:Christ, I've just remembered my first encounter with him, on BCB. He'd posted a particularly vitriolic denouncement of one of my posts - so much so, I was convinced he had to be an alias! We had a right 'set to', and I remember someone who knew him coming on to tell me that he was for real. We then took it to pm's, and I had a fabulous exchange with him, where I ended up with a real empathy for his position.

We didn't agree on much, but I loved his passion and belief in the music he so clearly adored. It just makes the outcome even more poignant for me - what a horrible waste of a young, vibrant life.

Weren't you convinced he was Captain Sword?
Fishstick selling fuck

sensi

Postby sensi » 28 Aug 2008, 21:52

My paypal account is of no use to me at all and that is why I donated via my debit card earlier this evening on behalf of Dave and me.

I fully trust old Smamf and I would have donated as a collective if my paypal account had been some use...there's already some BCBers on there and it was easy to do

Here is the link from page two again for those who want it

http://www.justgiving.com/alastairmcculloch

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2008, 21:57

Tapiocahead wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Christ, I've just remembered my first encounter with him, on BCB. He'd posted a particularly vitriolic denouncement of one of my posts - so much so, I was convinced he had to be an alias! We had a right 'set to', and I remember someone who knew him coming on to tell me that he was for real. We then took it to pm's, and I had a fabulous exchange with him, where I ended up with a real empathy for his position.

Weren't you convinced he was Captain Sword?

I think that's right! :D
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 28 Aug 2008, 22:04

I was just looking at some of his posts from the last few days he was posting on here in early July. Nothing there to indicate anything untoward going on at all, he looked as animated and garrulous as ever. Very strange, and sad.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Aug 2008, 22:26

So very very sad

Condolences to his family

Stephen
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Aug 2008, 22:33

Nick wrote:I was just looking at some of his posts from the last few days he was posting on here in early July. Nothing there to indicate anything untoward going on at all, he looked as animated and garrulous as ever. Very strange, and sad.

I did the same thing, and feel the same way.

It's terribly, terribly sad.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 28 Aug 2008, 22:39

Dear me, this is terrible. I never met the man personally, but his threads were always stimulating and knowledgeable. RIP.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Aug 2008, 23:32

The Airborne Toxic Giraffe wrote:I hadn't seen Footy or ALB for ages so it was great to catch up with them.

Aye, looks like it!

On a more practical note, it seems that if you contribute to the Samaritans on an individual basis from the UK on that site they can claim a 25% tax addition

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 28 Aug 2008, 23:33

Sensemeliawopnibop wrote:Dave also suggested we should have the next York jolly up in his honour too?...I'm sure the Three Legged Mare would be accommodating under the circumstances...we did put a few hundred behind their bar at that jolly up and I remember Ali was gutted when he found out we all got a free drink...as he offered to drive Loonybin and Fartpants home...he said he'd never had a free drink off a landlord before.

I'd ceratinly attend.

That's a really good idea, Jane. Of course, we'd be there. Perhaps if anyone's got any ideas on this one, I could speak to the folk at the Mare and see what can be done?
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

Return to “Births, Marriages & Deaths”