Eveything you ever wanted to know about Mix Club

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
The Fish
Beer Battered

Eveything you ever wanted to know about Mix Club

Postby The Fish » 25 Dec 2010, 15:00

So in response to a number of requests here is all you need to know about Mix Club:-

So what is it all about then ?

Each month the participants make a compilation CD and send anonymously to their designated recipient. I will pm recipient‘s details at the start of each month. So each month you compile one CD for one designated individual. Each month there will be (in due course) a separate review thread. Post your (blind) review here, having played the disc you received. Once your disc has been reviewed you should respond with the reveal and tracklisting and any other appropriate comments.

So how do I sign up ?

I will post a new thread each month around the same time as matches are sent for the current month. For example I will send recipients for January 2011 a day or two either side of the 1st of the month and post the February 2011 thread at around the same time. You therefore have around a month to add your name to the list.
N.B membership is on a rolling basis – You do not have to sign up each month. You will need to visit the thread and remove your name within the timescales to withdraw from proceedings. In such cases your default position will be “out” and you would then need to add yourself to a future month’s list to rejoin. Put simply once you are IN you stay in until you opt out. Once you are OUT you stay out until you opt back in.
For anyone joining for the first time, I will of course need a name and address in order to tell whoever draws you as a recipient, where to send disc to. It would be helpful to pm me this when you sign up, failing which I will pm you and ask for it.

So what do I put on the CD ?

The only rule here is it should be a CDR in normal CD format (NOT MP3s on a data disc) i.e a disc that can be put into any CD player and played like a normal CD. The contents are entirely your choice. This can either be themed or not, targeted at your recipient’s tastes or not, a broader or narrower range of styles. There is no rule that says you need to fill the disc. Anything from 12 to 20 tracks is the norm (somewhere around 16 I would say is typical). N.B This will be reviewed blind. You should not send any tracklisting with the disc or any other clues as to its contents. Any extras such as cover art is entirely at your discretion.

So what are the timescales ?

There are no timescales written in stone. It is a fact that people have private issues and work pressures etc, You are expected however to take these into consideration, so that if you are running a bit late, you can still manage to get a disc out, albeit a week or so later than you’d planned. Some manage to send a disc out almost immediately, some take more time, perhaps researching their recipient’s taste more. In all cases the target expectation is to have sent by the middle of the month (15th or thereabouts) leaving sufficient time for you recipient to play and review.
If anyone is having problems doing this THEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I can always arrange a disc from an alternative source so that no one misses out. Also in all cases you should aim to complete the send/review/reveal cycle even if this goes into the following month. I consider this simply common courtesy.
Progress is usually posted on the original sign up thread e,g details of discs sent, received or still not received. I can forward messages to recipients on your behalf e.g if non receipt posted even though disc sent and replacement is on its way. I will not however nanny you collectively. Life is too short,

So what is the official Mix Club etiquette ?

The CD you receive is not a Christmas gift from your auntie. You are not expected to say you like it if you don’t. I would suggest reading some of the review threads to get a flavour of how the various positives and negatives are typically worded.
The bottom line however is - attack the music all you like but not the compiler. It is customary to realise that someone has gone to the trouble and expense of preparing a compilation for you, and it is only right to appreciate this fact whatever you think of the contents.

So there you have it. ALL are welcome to join (but please only join with a commitment to follow these principles). Anything else you want to know feel free to pm me.
We're way past rhubarb

Nolamike

Re: Eveything you ever wanted to know about Mix Club

Postby Nolamike » 27 Dec 2010, 17:07

Why don't we put a sticky on this, and leave it at the top of the Mix Club forum?
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Jan 2011, 20:29

Thanks Paul.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

iSteen

Postby iSteen » 13 Oct 2012, 17:01

Is it just people from the UK who take part in this, or are there people from all over Europe and the states involved?

Steen
Denmark
Steen
✔ Apple
✔ Bass
✔ Soccer

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 13 Oct 2012, 20:56

Absolutely not! The last disc I received was from Hong Kong, and I've sent discs as far afield as New Zealand and the USA in my time. Although I find it interesting that you first post here is about the Mix Club - brave of you to be potentially throwing your hat into the ring!

iSteen

Postby iSteen » 15 Oct 2012, 10:34

Well, I'm just a music-nerd :-)
Could be fun with a "digital companion" of the project. A joined Dropbox or something, where people could share their favorite tracks anonymously. Not pirating but share a wee bit of what they thought other people really deserved gave a chance, in whatever format we could agree on (lossless, AAC, mp3 etc)
Steen
✔ Apple
✔ Bass
✔ Soccer

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 01 Nov 2012, 18:05

Aaaaahhhh! Mix Club, I miss you sooo much :(

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 18 Feb 2015, 12:40

Oscar51 wrote:Aaaaahhhh! Mix Club, I miss you sooo much :(

It's so good to be back :D

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 06 Nov 2023, 02:36

It seems this hasn't been updated since the Great Pause. I used to participate and would love to again if cd's still are the preferred media choice.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 06 Nov 2023, 17:08

hookfinger wrote:It seems this hasn't been updated since the Great Pause. I used to participate and would love to again if cd's still are the preferred media choice.

Yes, CDs by mail. To many luddites couldn't manage the detagging and uploads ! Would love to have you back in Dave. I'l aim to get a new set of matches out in next week or so to get one final one out for the year, which may overlap with current one. Stay tuned.
We're way past rhubarb

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 07 Nov 2023, 03:47

I'm in but I'm not in a hurry. Although my address has not changed I can update if you need. I just need to remember to check back here.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 07 Nov 2023, 08:40

hookfinger wrote:I'm in but I'm not in a hurry. Although my address has not changed I can update if you need. I just need to remember to check back here.

Yes, if you can pm me current address please.
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Nov 2023, 21:19

The Fish wrote:
hookfinger wrote:It seems this hasn't been updated since the Great Pause. I used to participate and would love to again if cd's still are the preferred media choice.

Yes, CDs by mail. To many luddites couldn't manage the detagging and uploads !.

:oops:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 11 Dec 2023, 08:28

The Fish wrote:

Did I send this?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 11 Dec 2023, 14:50

hookfinger wrote:
The Fish wrote:

Did I send this?

No, if you could pm please
We're way past rhubarb

Return to “Mix Club”