Feb/Mar Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Feb/Mar Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 31 Mar 2020, 00:51

I can't believe I'm first! :lol:

OK- here we go!

1. Hmmm- some crazy intro with a fantastic accent from some girl who is talking about planning on getting laid!
2. Now then, I've heard this song before - something about the eighties - but I have no idea who it is at all!
3. Neutral Milk Hotel surely??
4. I rather like this. It's like a good Archies!
5. SKIN DEEP! Stranglers!
6. Oh my goodness! What is this? Glorious! Glorious! That's a fantastic way to pronounce Bowie too!
7. Super punky girl singing! What's not to like?
8. Someone wants me to DO THE ZONK! Well, ok! Why not! (oof, cheeky key change!)
9. Flight of The Conchords! ( I needed this tonight)
10. A little interlude!
11. MODERN LOVERS :D
12. Mmmmm FUNKY! Someone wants me to put my hands together!
13. I'm enjoying these little adverts!
14. Oh goodness. l like this. I like this A LOT. WOW!
15. A splendid little ditty about a voodoo doll. Love this.
16. Here's a song that sounds like it was written by motorbikes!
17. God damn! I know this song! Where do I know it from?

Hey sender! Thanks so much for sending this along and big apologies for not reviewing sooner. Life has gone a bit mad, hasn't it! I really enjoyed this disc and I am most curious about hearing who was behind tracks 1, 8, 14 and 17!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

pcqgod

Re: Feb/Mar Reviews

Postby pcqgod » 01 Apr 2020, 01:56

1. Hmmm- some crazy intro with a fantastic accent from some girl who is talking about planning on getting laid!

Zebra Stripes, an 80’s garage revival group.

2. Now then, I've heard this song before - something about the eighties - but I have no idea who it is at all!

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band!

3. Neutral Milk Hotel surely??

Yes.

4. I rather like this. It's like a good Archies!

A song from the “Josie and the Pussycats” cartoon show from the early 70’s.

5. SKIN DEEP! Stranglers!

Yup.

6. Oh my goodness! What is this? Glorious! Glorious! That's a fantastic way to pronounce Bowie too!

An actual advert that ran on a Dallas radio station around 1973.

7. Super punky girl singing! What's not to like?

The Manhattan Love Suicides

8. Someone wants me to DO THE ZONK! Well, ok! Why not! (oof, cheeky key change!)

A 1965 single by Donna Loren.

9. Flight of The Conchords! ( I needed this tonight)

Indeed.

10. A little interlude!

Commercial bumper from “Josie and the Pussycats.”

11. MODERN LOVERS

Correctamundo.

12. Mmmmm FUNKY! Someone wants me to put my hands together!

Aura, a San Francisco funk band that released one album in 1977.

13. I'm enjoying these little adverts!

Flamin’ Groovies KSAN ‘Supersnazz’ album spot.

14. Oh goodness. l like this. I like this A LOT. WOW!

Hooverphonic, from their 1998 album ‘Blue Wonder Power Milk.’

15. A splendid little ditty about a voodoo doll. Love this.

A single by a vocal group called Glenda & Glen that shows up on various exotic music compilations.

16. Here's a song that sounds like it was written by motorbikes!

60’s/70’s stoner rock group, Peacepipe.

17. God damn! I know this song! Where do I know it from?

A song by Erika Eigen featured on the soundtrack to ‘A Clockwork Orange.’ A version of this song is also performed in the movie ‘Frank.’

1. “Intro 66” – Zebra Stripes
2. “Lies (All Through the 80’s)” – Manfred Mann’s Earth Band
3. “The King of Carrot Flowers pts. 2 & 3” – Neutral Milk Hotel
4. “Inside, Outside, Upside Down” – Josie and the Pussycats
5. "Skin Deep" The Stranglers
6. Bowie Pin Ups radio spot
7. “Johnny Boy” - Manhattan Love Suicides
8. “So, Do the Zonk” – Donna Loren
9. “Woo a Lady” – Flight of the Conchords
10. Jose and the Pussycats commercial bumper
11. “Rollercoaster by the Sea” – Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
12. “You Got Something” -- Aura
13. ‘Supersnazz’ radio spot
14. “Dictionary” – Hooverphonic
15. “Voodoo Doll” Glenda & Glen
16. “A Biker’s Tune” – Peacepipe
17. “I Want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper” Erika Eigen

Glad you enjoyed it!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Apr 2020, 15:31

Fantastic stuff! I really enjoyed it. Thanks a lot!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 13 Apr 2020, 13:13

1 - No idea who this is but its a kinda rock a billy thing - great. Lovely twangy guitar

2 - Don’t know this either, but its a lovely soul number sounds kinda like the Marvelettes who I love - interested to know who this is

3 - More modern sounding number , a bit disco a bit rock. Its ok, a bit bland to me, but nice enough.

4 - See track 2 tho I think its a guy singing , lovely falsetto, sounds kinda like Smokey but its not - whats not to love.

5 - Very summery , very cruisey track, lovely vocal ,kinda like a poppy Cocteau Twins - love it

6 - John Lee Hooker - love me some John Lee , was lucky enough to see him live in Auckland NZ , he sat on a chair the whole show except of the last song when he stood up and whole crowd stood up with him - awesome.

7 - Nice slice of modern power pop not sure who it is - but some nice sounding electric guitar.

8 - I believe this is the Zombies - what great harmonies - and bonus points for the great organ.

9 - Japanese power pop - great stuff, nice to hear it sung in Japanese, lovely melodic pop. with a spanish sounding acoustic guitar solo! and bonus point for fuzz bass.

10 - Orange Juice - Falling and Laughing - Edwyn is the Man of course. Wonderful of course.

11 - I love me some do whop - don’t know this but its beautiful - interested to know who this is

12. The wonderful sound of Michael Nesmith - this is brilliant. Beautiful steel guitar

13. Françoise Hardy ? Lovely sixties french pop

14. Sounds like a sixties version of Uriah Heep - which is of course a good thing

15. Lovely piece of reggae , beautiful bass - another hit

16. Not sure who this is but its a great bit of indie pop - interested in who this is

17. Since I Don’t Have You - it doesn’t get any better than this - beautiful.

Many thanks to my mixer , some much appreciated beautiful music in these dark times - I think the only track I didn’t really love was track 3 , so thats a pretty good score! Thanks again. And thanks for the bonus disc!

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 15 Apr 2020, 18:55

Mike Boom wrote:1 - No idea who this is but its a kinda rock a billy thing - great. Lovely twangy guitar

Modern rockabilly artist Marcel Bontempi (2017).

2 - Don’t know this either, but its a lovely soul number sounds kinda like the Marvelettes who I love - interested to know who this is

Obscure girl group the Charmels from their only album. They were signed to Stax and Isaac Hayes wrote this song.

3 - More modern sounding number , a bit disco a bit rock. Its ok, a bit bland to me, but nice enough.

Provo rock band Neon Trees (2010).

4 - See track 2 tho I think its a guy singing , lovely falsetto, sounds kinda like Smokey but its not - whats not to love.

One hit wonders the Moments with their one hit Love On A Two Way Street. This went to #3 in the US.

5 - Very summery , very cruisey track, lovely vocal ,kinda like a poppy Cocteau Twins - love it

Brazilian band The Mosquitos singing in Portuguese.

6 - John Lee Hooker - love me some John Lee , was lucky enough to see him live in Auckland NZ , he sat on a chair the whole show except of the last song when he stood up and whole crowd stood up with him - awesome.

This is probably my favorite song by him.

7 - Nice slice of modern power pop not sure who it is - but some nice sounding electric guitar.

Wild Love - The Stool Pigeons. This is from their album Rule Hermania! which consists entirely of Herman's Hermits covers.

8 - I believe this is the Zombies - what great harmonies - and bonus points for the great organ.

It's them with a lesser known track but a favorite.

9 - Japanese power pop - great stuff, nice to hear it sung in Japanese, lovely melodic pop. with a spanish sounding acoustic guitar solo! and bonus point for fuzz bass.

Daydream (1994) by Judy and Mary a pop/punk duo.

10 - Orange Juice - Falling and Laughing - Edwyn is the Man of course. Wonderful of course.

It's them with the John Peel BBC version.

11 - I love me some do whop - don’t know this but its beautiful - interested to know who this is

Once In Awhile - The Chimes (charted at #11 in 1961.)

12. The wonderful sound of Michael Nesmith - this is brilliant. Beautiful steel guitar

He really made some nice solo tracks.

13. Françoise Hardy ? Lovely sixties french pop

That's her and it's a teenage Jimmy Page on session guitar (1962).

14. Sounds like a sixties version of Uriah Heep - which is of course a good thing

I love this, found it on a bootleg compilation. It's by a late sixties Cornwall band The Onyx.

15. Lovely piece of reggae , beautiful bass - another hit

Jamaican pop reggae singer John Holt with My Desire from 1980.

16. Not sure who this is but its a great bit of indie pop - interested in who this is

In 2015 three University of Auckland jazz majors formed this band The Beths. This is from 2017.

17. Since I Don’t Have You - it doesn’t get any better than this - beautiful.

This is one of those perfect recordings.

Many thanks to my mixer , some much appreciated beautiful music in these dark times - I think the only track I didn’t really love was track 3 , so thats a pretty good score! Thanks again. And thanks for the bonus disc!

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Bury All My Troubles - Marcel Bontempi
2. As Long As I've Got You - The Charmels
3. Girls And Boys In School - Neon Trees
4. Love On A Two Way Street - The Moments
5. Prequica - The Mosquitos
6. Hobo Blues - John Lee Hooker
7. Wild Love - The Stool Pigeons
8. Leave Me Be - The Zombies
9. Daydream - Judy and Mary
10. Falling And Laughing - Orange Juice
11. Once In Awhile - The Chimes
12. Continuing - Michael Nesmith
13..Tous Les Garcons Et Les Filles - Francoise Hardy
14. Tamaris Khan - The Onyx
15. My Desire - John Holt
16. Great No One - The Beths
17. Since I Don't Have You - The Skyliners

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Apr 2020, 04:14

Alright, here's my review:

Track one is an upbeat rocker with some cool lead guitar fills and a singer with a cool gruff voice singing about being tired of being a man.

Track two is a folky rant by a gruff voiced singer with a novel solution for today’s problems. Unfortunately, probably my least favorite track on this mix.

Track three is a groovy, stripped down rocker. Reminds me a bit of The Vaselines, but more rock ‘n’ roll.

Track four is a live track by a hyperactive, quirky New Wave kind of combo. Very impressive performance!

Track five starts with a Smiths sample, I believe, and is a catchy dance number with a female vocalist. Sounds like she’s singing “no hippie chick” on the chorus.

Track six is a droney (in a good way) number which I figure must be Stereolab. The vocals meander between the left and right channel through the entire song. Best listened to with headphones to get the effect.

Track seven must be Gary Numan/Tubeway Army.

Track eight is a pretty acoustic number which incorporates part of “My Guy” by Mary Wells.

Track nine is an atmospheric English folk-flavored number with a male vocalist. Very nice, probably my favorite track in this mix.

Very enjoyable mix. I liked almost every track, and most of it was unfamiliar to me.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Apr 2020, 21:48

A fun and entertaining mix, just what is needed right now.

1. Starts slowly, breathy simple melody, then the strings come in and I'm all in and loving it. As with a lot of this mix I think the voice is familiar but I can't come up with a good guess. Great start, a highlight.
2. Another familiar sounding voice, doesn't grab me as much as the first track but pretty good.
3. Fast paced cover of Get Along Cindy, a bluegrass standard. I've always liked this song and this is a good version.
4. Another familiar sounding singer, a lot going on musically, kind of a theatrical show tune.
5. A banjo attack, authentic singer, reminds me of Hazel Dickens, well done.
6. Is this Lucinda Williams. I like this a lot whoever it is. Very expressive voice. Another highlight.
7. This one sets a mood, tells a story. A deep world weary baritone voice. I like it but it's a little long.
8. Ah, rockabilly. This one hits all the marks, lots of echo, dripping with reverb. Love the tone of the guitar.
9. Sweet singing country lass. Again familiar, probably own this. Alison Krauss?
10. UK pub song, modern but authentic sounding. A little rough, I couldn't do an album but this is fun.
11. Roy Orbison, not familiar with the song. He had some great deep cuts.
12. Sets a mood, not picking up on the lyrics. Didn't make much of an impression.
13. British folk, sounds modern, this is well done all the way around. Great instrumentation.
14. A pleasant singer/songwriter tune, nice strings, good singer.
15. Finishing with another UK folk singer/songwriter, I'm going to guess he's Scottish. Strong finish, another highlight.

Thanks so much mixer! Looking forward to the reveal.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 02 May 2020, 18:08

Nick Danger wrote:A fun and entertaining mix, just what is needed right now.

1. Starts slowly, breathy simple melody, then the strings come in and I'm all in and loving it. As with a lot of this mix I think the voice is familiar but I can't come up with a good guess. Great start, a highlight.

This is something of an obscurity but comes from the same album that served as my opening salvo in the Folk Cup - Val Stoecklein. People seemed to like it then but coupled with mitterings querying its folk credentials. To me the vpice has a lot of Fred neil going on and the arrangements have more than a hint of Nick Drake andthat's folk enough for me. His only album nd worth cecking out though OOP.

2. Another familiar sounding voice, doesn't grab me as much as the first track but pretty good.

An album I own but haven't really played in ages, but this cropped up on an episode of House which earned it another spin - The Frames

3. Fast paced cover of Get Along Cindy, a bluegrass standard. I've always liked this song and this is a good version.

How many comps like this do I own. Answer - LOTS. This one is entiled Corn Dodgers and Hoss Hair Pullers - subtitled Arkansas at 78RPM which probably tells you all you need to know.

4. Another familiar sounding singer, a lot going on musically, kind of a theatrical show tune.

British band Danny Wilson (yes they are a band).

5. A banjo attack, authentic singer, reminds me of Hazel Dickens, well done.

One of the underrated jewels of US folk - Hedy West

6. Is this Lucinda Williams. I like this a lot whoever it is. Very expressive voice. Another highlight.

Caroline Rose. The first album whence this is taken is great, but the two after are diminishing returns. It's like the rcord company got to her and moulded here into something horribly generic, chasing a hit record. Check out the debut though.

7. This one sets a mood, tells a story. A deep world weary baritone voice. I like it but it's a little long.

Back to the Folk Cup and Garnet Rogers may have cost me the crown as the track I really wantd to use only had one Yutube where the sound wasn't so great, but hey here he is again and I'm sticking by him.

8. Ah, rockabilly. This one hits all the marks, lots of echo, dripping with reverb. Love the tone of the guitar.

It may be modern retro but when it's done right I'm not complaining - Vince and The Sun Boppers

9. Sweet singing country lass. Again familiar, probably own this. Alison Krauss?

This is actally Janis Ian. Everyone knoes At right, but few it seems venture further.

10. UK pub song, modern but authentic sounding. A little rough, I couldn't do an album but this is fun.

I did wonder if i'd put 10 and 13 reversed on the mix, as this is most decidedly UK folk. Probably one of the closest things to Bellowhead if you like your folk rollicking and full on. Fausts.

11. Roy Orbison, not familiar with the song. He had some great deep cuts.

I knew you'd think this was Orbison as probably would I without knowing. ANyway incredibly this isn't roy. The guys name is Marcel Rielso. He prbably plays up to the Orbison imersonater tag by inclusing some Oribsion songs on the album but then the remainder including this are written buy him and it nails the whole feel of peak classic Orbison

12. Sets a mood, not picking up on the lyrics. Didn't make much of an impression.

Some early-ish John Martyn, who I'll concede you prbably eithr love or hate

13. British folk, sounds modern, this is well done all the way around. Great instrumentation.

Following on from 10, this is US indie - rather than Brit folk, being Eef Barzelay of clem Snide, a solo ep

14. A pleasant singer/songwriter tune, nice strings, good singer.

Velvet Crush

15. Finishing with another UK folk singer/songwriter, I'm going to guess he's Scottish. Strong finish, another highlight.

Kris Drever, also performs with the band Lau also worth checking out. He is inded Scottish, Glad to see all those episodes watching grouhdskeeper WIllie didn't gp to waste :D

Thanks so much mixer! Looking forward to the reveal.
As ever your#e welcome. Aways a pleasure.

1. Val Stoecklein - SOunds Like Yesterday
2. The Frames - Seven Day Mile
3. Pope's Arkansas Mountaineers - Get Along Home Miss Cindy
4. Danny Wilson - You Remain An Angel
5. Hedy West - Sally Carter
6. Caroline Rose - Tightrope Walker
7. Garnet Rogers - Blue Smoke
8. Vince and The SUn Boppers - Bye To The City
9. Janis Ian - This Train Still Runs
10. Faustus - While Gamekeepers Lie Sleeping
11. Marcel Riesco - LOnely Ble Dreams
12. John Martyn - Ways To Cry
13. Eef Barzelay - The Ballad of Ice Cube Boy and Snowflake Girl
14. Velvet Crush - In Your Time
15. Kris Drever - Steel and Stone

We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 May 2020, 12:49

Shit! Sorry I didn’t see that my disc has been reviewed. Will reveal later!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 May 2020, 00:47

pcqgod wrote:Alright, here's my review:

Track one is an upbeat rocker with some cool lead guitar fills and a singer with a cool gruff voice singing about being tired of being a man.

Track two is a folky rant by a gruff voiced singer with a novel solution for today’s problems. Unfortunately, probably my least favorite track on this mix.

Track three is a groovy, stripped down rocker. Reminds me a bit of The Vaselines, but more rock ‘n’ roll.

Track four is a live track by a hyperactive, quirky New Wave kind of combo. Very impressive performance!

Track five starts with a Smiths sample, I believe, and is a catchy dance number with a female vocalist. Sounds like she’s singing “no hippie chick” on the chorus.

Track six is a droney (in a good way) number which I figure must be Stereolab. The vocals meander between the left and right channel through the entire song. Best listened to with headphones to get the effect.

Track eight is a pretty acoustic number which incorporates part of “My Guy” by Mary Wells.

Track nine is an atmospheric English folk-flavored number with a male vocalist. Very nice, probably my favorite track in this mix.

Very enjoyable mix. I liked almost every track, and most of it was unfamiliar to me.

Glad you enjoyed it! Here's the reveal:

1. "Something to Bang" by Absentee
2. "Something New" by Ramblin Deano and the Enablers
3. "Love in a Trashcan" by The Raveonettes
4. "Wives in Orbit" -Red Krayola
5. "Hippychick" by Soho
6. "Exploding Head Movie" - Stereolab and Nurse with Wound
7. It is! "We are So Fragile" Numan/Tubeway Army
8. "Billie Holiday" By Warpaint
9. "When Ye Go Away" Waterboys.

I'm glad you enjoyed! I'm sorry it took so long to reply.

Dr Markus wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 May 2020, 16:33

Minnie the Minx wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Alright, here's my review:

Glad you enjoyed it! Here's the reveal:

1. "Something to Bang" by Absentee
2. "Something New" by Ramblin Deano and the Enablers
3. "Love in a Trashcan" by The Raveonettes
4. "Wives in Orbit" -Red Krayola
5. "Hippychick" by Soho
6. "Exploding Head Movie" - Stereolab and Nurse with Wound
7. It is! "We are So Fragile" Numan/Tubeway Army
8. "Billie Holiday" By Warpaint
9. "When Ye Go Away" Waterboys.

I'm glad you enjoyed! I'm sorry it took so long to reply.

OK, cool.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 17 May 2020, 13:34

OK rounding things off, review of disc from Mr Boom containing some old favourites and some new delights.

1) Can’t go wrong with Nils.
2) Or indeed Patti. Patti and Joni have been mainstays of my listening for more years than I care to remember and probably the two artists I feel an emotional attachment to.
3) Don’t recognise this one but like it. Doesn’t sound necessarily like either but stylistically reminds me of Ray Davies and Ronnie Lane.
4) This is great. Starts off as some funky southern style gospel soul, but that’s just counterpoint and main song kicks in over the same rock solid funk drum beat. Love it.
5) Some blues with a hint of Shuggie Otis style pysch in the mix. Nice.
6) First of two bona fide soul classics. The Persuaders – Thin Line Between Love and Hate
7) Followed by , possibly my quickest Mix Club spot ever. About two seconds in…. Freda Payne – Band of Gold
8) I still don’t know whether I love or hate this. Lazy velvetisms usually incur my wrath and let’s face it this is clearly someone who’s heard Sweet Jane more than twice ! but I like the guitar part and there’s some charm and humour in the lyrics that’s winning me over (maybe).
9) Another fairly instant spot. Always loved this and Jordan is probably my favourite Sprout album.
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 18 May 2020, 16:08

1 Cry Tough - Nils Lofgren
2 Summer Cannibals - Patti Smith
3 Lonely Planet Boy - New York Dolls
4 Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand - Primitive Radio Gods
5 Revolution (Pts. 1 and 2) - Nina Simone
6 Thin Line Between Love and Hate - The Persuaders
7 Band of Gold - Freda Payne
8 How the West Was Won - Peter Perrett
9 Doo-Wop In Harlem - Prefab Sprout

Track 3 was the New York Dolls and Track 5 was Nina Simone, Track 8 former Only One Peter Perrett and the title trac from his solo album How the West Was Won. Track 4 was the band Primitive Radio Gods with a pretty big hit back in 1996. Agree with you on Jordan: The Comeback - its a major masterpiece in my book !

Return to “Mix Club”