July 2018 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Nick Danger

July 2018 Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 20 Jul 2018, 13:49

A very entertaining mix has come my way this time. Lots of variety, several genres, and almost all new. The perfect recipe.

1. Here we have a close harmony female group singing about war bonds. This must be from the 40's so I'm guessing this is the Andrews Sisters or one of their contemporaries. I'm a fan of the Boswell Sisters from the 30's. Never heard this before, they do it well.
2. A leap forward in time, I'm all for jarring transitions. Good band, good energy. Pretty good.
3. Dirty guitar, upfront drums, sounds American and alternative. I'm guessing 80's. Kinda punky, I like this a lot.
4. Electronica opening, more great guitar. It hits that electronica/new wave combo well. Yodee oodee oh lyrics almost a yodel, sounds 80's again.
I liked it but it lost a little charm on repeated listenings.
5. An interesting instrumental here. Spanish guitar. This leaves me with a happy feeling. Small band, this is great, love it.
6. Promo for the movie Sorry, Wrong Number (which I've seen) starring Agnes Morehead. I'm loving the variety and surprises on this mix.
7. A song about drinking in a 40's style but probably more recent. Interesting vocal, might know the voice. I like it.
8. Retro jump blues (or vintage?) Swing band, lots of energy, love the guitar solo. Makes me want to get up and dance.
9. Live performance, interesting female singer. Sounds familiar but I'm not coming up with who it is. Good band especially the horns. I like this.
10. Another jump blues, probably vintage this time. Sounds like a small band, good energy. Another good one.
11. This is a highlight. I'm a sucker for female led pop/punk like this. Nice change of pace bridge and then they take it home with a driving headlong finish. This is great.
12. Synthesized droning vocal, sounds alternative and British. Beatlesque with an electronica undercurrent. Very interesting and appealing. It's got a little echo, a little reverb, the vocals come to the front and carry it. Again, I like the variety on this mix.
13. This is pretty much the only track I know and can identify. Elvis with Fools Fall In Love. I have this on a comp of his. A deeper cut and fun to hear again. That's probably the Jordanaires doing the background. Great.
14. This is ok but it kinda came and went every time I played the mix. It's probably more due to the appeal of the rest of the mix.
15. And we sign off with a vintage CBS radio signoff from Los Angeles. Appropriate capper.

Thanks again mixer for a varied and entertaining mix, all stuff I like. I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

pcqgod

Re: July 2018 Reviews

Postby pcqgod » 27 Jul 2018, 20:02

1. Here we have a close harmony female group singing about war bonds. This must be from the 40's so I'm guessing this is the Andrews Sisters or one of their contemporaries. I'm a fan of the Boswell Sisters from the 30's. Never heard this before, they do it well.

Yes, it's the Andrews Sisters, from a boxed set of female singers that I think is called 'Women of WWII.'

2. A leap forward in time, I'm all for jarring transitions. Good band, good energy. Pretty good.

A new song by the Flamin' Groovies, from their 'Fantastic Plastic' l.p.

3. Dirty guitar, upfront drums, sounds American and alternative. I'm guessing 80's. Kinda punky, I like this a lot.

This is the Young Fresh Fellows, one of my favorite bands since I discovered them mid-80's. From their 1985 album 'Topsy Turvy' which remains one of their best.

4. Electronica opening, more great guitar. It hits that electronica/new wave combo well. Yodee oodee oh lyrics almost a yodel, sounds 80's again.
I liked it but it lost a little charm on repeated listenings.

This is The Epoxies, a retro-New Wave band covering a song originally performed by Adam and the Ants. From a 2002 self-titled e.p.

5. An interesting instrumental here. Spanish guitar. This leaves me with a happy feeling. Small band, this is great, love it.

The song is "Anna," a traditional melody here performed by Jorgen Ingmann, Danish guitarist best known for "Apache."

6. Promo for the movie Sorry, Wrong Number (which I've seen) starring Agnes Morehead. I'm loving the variety and surprises on this mix.

7. A song about drinking in a 40's style but probably more recent. Interesting vocal, might know the voice. I like it.

This is a new cover of a song by the Kinks by Texas native Hailey Tuck on her debut album 'Junk,' released this year.

8. Retro jump blues (or vintage?) Swing band, lots of energy, love the guitar solo. Makes me want to get up and dance.

Kim Lenz and the Jaguars from their 1999 album 'The One and Only'

9. Live performance, interesting female singer. Sounds familiar but I'm not coming up with who it is. Good band especially the horns. I like this.

Mary's Danish performing a song that originally appeared on their debut album from 1989.

10. Another jump blues, probably vintage this time. Sounds like a small band, good energy. Another good one.

This is a r & b artist from Texas who was called Big Water the Thunderbird! I got this from a compilation called 'South Texas Rhythm & Soul Review.'

11. This is a highlight. I'm a sucker for female led pop/punk like this. Nice change of pace bridge and then they take it home with a driving headlong finish. This is great.

The Fastbacks, from Seattle, from their second album 'Very Very Powerful Motor' (1990). Great band. Lead guitarist Kurt Bloch has also played in the Young Fresh Fellows since 1989.

12. Synthesized droning vocal, sounds alternative and British. Beatlesque with an electronica undercurrent. Very interesting and appealing. It's got a little echo, a little reverb, the vocals come to the front and carry it. Again, I like the variety on this mix.

This one is by Robert Pollard, lead singer/songwriter for Guided by Voices on his 1999 solo album 'Kid Marine.'

13. This is pretty much the only track I know and can identify. Elvis with Fools Fall In Love. I have this on a comp of his. A deeper cut and fun to hear again. That's probably the Jordanaires doing the background. Great.

Yep.

14. This is ok but it kinda came and went every time I played the mix. It's probably more due to the appeal of the rest of the mix.

This is a demo version of "Blue Turns to Grey" by the Rolling Stones, though some studio musicians, including Jimmy Page, might appear on this recording.

15. And we sign off with a vintage CBS radio signoff from Los Angeles. Appropriate capper.

1. Andrews Sisters - Any bond today?
2. Flamin' Groovies - Crazy Macy
3. Young Fresh Fellows - How Much About Last Night Do You Remember?
4. Epoxies - Beat My Guest
5. Jorgen Ingmann - Anna
6. Sorry Wrong Number
7. Hailey Tuck - Demon Alcohol
8. Kim Lenz and the Jaguars - Fit to be Tied
9. Mary's Danish - It'll Probably make me Cry
10. Big Walter the Thunderbird - Get to Gettin'
11. Fastbacks - I Guess
12. Robert Pollard - Submarine Teams
13. Elvis - Fools Fall in Love
14. Rolling Stones - Blue Turns To Grey
15. Sign off

Thanks again mixer for a varied and entertaining mix, all stuff I like. I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

Glad you enjoyed it!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 05 Aug 2018, 12:16

Well I'm a bit late as I've had this a while, but then no one seems to be rushing to review.

Anyway mix from Nck Danger. Thanks for the nbonus disc too. A name I vaguely knew and will check out further.

1) Rocakabilly bounce. Healthy dose of twang. What’s not to love.
2) Great song of course and I like the voice and while I can always applaud trying to do something different with a song, there’s something not quite right here that pulls me back from loving this. Maybe I know the song so well, but I keep wanting to shout come on pick it up, like the drummer has dozed off. John and Uma won’t be dancing to this but then nor will Chuck be turning in his grave. Close but no cigar, but could probably be stand to hear more.
3) Like the stuff Father John Misty does and if not him I definitely want to know who this is. Magnificent lush balladry.
4) I think I own this if it’s as I suspect the Wailin’ Jennys version. It’s gorgeous of course but as with track 2 I have a (minor) misgiving, which is basically that thing song is just so personal to Emmylou, and can anyone else really sing it quite the same. Although taken on its own terms this is great of course.
5) I keep thinking I know the voice but can’t bring a name to mind. Rather lovely though.
6) Nothing earth shattering but I do like the voice. This proved to be a bit of a grower.
7) From here on in you seem to be on a bit of a folk kick. This is from the wyrder (sic) end of the spectrum, which I like fine but need to be in the mood. I’ll usually go for the “sweeter” style of Kate Rusby, Heidi Talbot etc but this is just fine.
8) Unlike the reservations with track 2, Misty seems to lend itself quite well to the different “newgrass” setting.
9) Folky again. Not so sure on this one. Sounds like classic murder ballad territory, but the voice is a bit shrill for the delivery
10) The exception to my comments on preference for “sweetness” would be the classic stylings (which can sound almost flat as in expressionless to some ears (but what do they know) as exemplified by the trinity of Anne Briggs, Shirley Collins and June Tabor. This sounds like Tabor but falls in any case within the above boundaries, so a definite winner.
11) This has shades of country rock, but poppy at the same time with a stately almost baroque pop feel at times, and a slight Orbisonesque feel to the vocals. Ended up liking this one a lot.
12) I like this well enough but stylistically it’s all over the place country/folk meets RnB/rap meets swamp/Cajun (this may be a push but there’s an accordion in there somewhere)
13) Same comments as for track 10 really. I’ll always like a proper folk voice with minimal accompaniment like this.
14) I think this may be a soul artist although it has a Beat girl sound to it for sure.
15) I have a CD somewhere of Laurel Canyon singers fron the 60s/70s. This has that feel. Still love the first Joni album which has Laurel Canyon all over it and of course Linda Perhacs first (until recently only) album too. Pass the patchouli !
16) Not a lot I can say except it’s Acker Bilk and Stranger On The Shore. I remember this as a UK no 2 hit

THanks again. Enjoyable as ever.
We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 06 Aug 2018, 13:56

1) Rocakabilly bounce. Healthy dose of twang. What’s not to love.

2017 track from German born Marcel Bontempi.

2) Great song of course and I like the voice and while I can always applaud trying to do something different with a song, there’s something not quite right here that pulls me back from loving this. Maybe I know the song so well, but I keep wanting to shout come on pick it up, like the drummer has dozed off. John and Uma won’t be dancing to this but then nor will Chuck be turning in his grave. Close but no cigar, but could probably be stand to hear more.

This was such a different cover that I didn't even recognize it as Chuck's on my first listen. This is Canadian Ellen LeGrow from 2016. I thought it was an interesting take and an interesting voice.

3) Like the stuff Father John Misty does and if not him I definitely want to know who this is. Magnificent lush balladry.

You know this guy, it's Dion Dimucci from his 1972 album Suite For Late Summer.

4) I think I own this if it’s as I suspect the Wailin’ Jennys version. It’s gorgeous of course but as with track 2 I have a (minor) misgiving, which is basically that thing song is just so personal to Emmylou, and can anyone else really sing it quite the same. Although taken on its own terms this is great of course.

I know you're not fond of covers but this one I thought was distinctively different from the original. It is the Jennys.

5) I keep thinking I know the voice but can’t bring a name to mind. Rather lovely though.

This is Joan Armatrading from her debut album in 1972.

6) Nothing earth shattering but I do like the voice. This proved to be a bit of a grower.

Replacements lead Paul Westerberg solo in 1993.

7) From here on in you seem to be on a bit of a folk kick. This is from the wyrder (sic) end of the spectrum, which I like fine but need to be in the mood. I’ll usually go for the “sweeter” style of Kate Rusby, Heidi Talbot etc but this is just fine.

I seem to have accidentally created a small subtheme in this mix. It's amazing how often that happens. Three of the tracks are from the same family, the Waterson/McCarthys. It's reminiscent of the McGarrigle/Wainwrights. This is Mary Waterson from last year.

8) Unlike the reservations with track 2, Misty seems to lend itself quite well to the different “newgrass” setting.

Ray Stevens with a cover of Misty. I was surprised to discover this made number 2 on the UK chart in 1975.

9) Folky again. Not so sure on this one. Sounds like classic murder ballad territory, but the voice is a bit shrill for the delivery

Winter's Coming by Bonnie Dobson from 1969.

10) The exception to my comments on preference for “sweetness” would be the classic stylings (which can sound almost flat as in expressionless to some ears (but what do they know) as exemplified by the trinity of Anne Briggs, Shirley Collins and June Tabor. This sounds like Tabor but falls in any case within the above boundaries, so a definite winner.

What an ear you have. This is indeed June Tabor with a song called Mrs. Rita recorded for the 1993 BBC series Hard Cash.

11) This has shades of country rock, but poppy at the same time with a stately almost baroque pop feel at times, and a slight Orbisonesque feel to the vocals. Ended up liking this one a lot.

This is Tim Darcy with a 2017 track Still Waking Up. All I know about him is that he was the former lead singer for the punk band Ought.

12) I like this well enough but stylistically it’s all over the place country/folk meets RnB/rap meets swamp/Cajun (this may be a push but there’s an accordion in there somewhere)

You Know Me by Eliza Carthy, sister of Lal Waterson and aunt of Mary Waterson. I discovered this in the recent Cup competition.

13) Same comments as for track 10 really. I’ll always like a proper folk voice with minimal accompaniment like this.

Anna Dixie by English folk singer Lal Waterson

14) I think this may be a soul artist although it has a Beat girl sound to it for sure.

1963 doo wop by the Drew Vels.

15) I have a CD somewhere of Laurel Canyon singers fron the 60s/70s. This has that feel. Still love the first Joni album which has Laurel Canyon all over it and of course Linda Perhacs first (until recently only) album too. Pass the patchouli !

Summer Day Reflection Song by Deena Webster. She seems to be a mysterious cultish artist who released one album in the UK in the 60's that now goes for a lot of money for either the lp or cd. I found this on a bootleg comp and liked her voice.

16) Not a lot I can say except it’s Acker Bilk and Stranger On The Shore. I remember this as a UK no 2 hit

My favorite clarinet led track ever. I'm not sure why I chose it but that's what makes creating mixes fun.

Glad you enjoyed most of it. I discovered some new things while making it.

Tracklist-
1. Bury All My Troubles - Marcel Bontempi
2. You Never Can Tell - Ellen LeGrow
3. Traveller In The Rain - Dion Dimucci
4. Boulder To Birmingham - The Wailin' Jennys
5. It Could Have Been Better - Joan Armatrading
6. Runaway Wind - Paul Westerberg
7. Death Has Quicker Wings Than Love - Mary Waterson
8. Misty - Ray Stevens
9. Winter's Coming - Bonnie Dobson
10. Mrs. Rita - June Tabor
11. Still Waking Up - Tim Darcy
12. You Know Me - Eliza Carthy and the Wayward Band
13. Anna Dixie - Lal Waterson
14. Tell Him - The Drew Vels
15. Summer Day Reflection Song - Deena Webster
16. Stranger On The Shore - Acker Bilk

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Aug 2018, 16:32

An enjoyable, generous 18 track mix:

Track 1: Beatle-esque thing, kind of a "Sexy Sadie" groove.
Track 2: Spanish guitar leads off. didn't care for this one much other than the lead guitar fills and soloing throughout.
Track 3: Rocking r & b instrumental with some impressive guitar work and honking sax.
Track 4: Pretty c & w ballad, late 50's/early 60's. Sounds like Brenda Lee to me.
Track 5: R & B version of "It Ain't Me Babe" in 6/8 time with a gravelly vocal that could be by Tina Turner.
Track 6: Airy rock-pop track with a prominent celeste part. Singer sounds kind of limited, but adequate for this song.
Track 7: Rockin' r & b/jump blues juke joint jam with a gravelly voiced male singer. Great stuff.
Track 8: This one is kind of an epic pop ballad. Pretty in an overblown sort of way. Sounds like something Eric Carmen would have done.
Track 9: 60's? Ballad with a crooning lead vocal. Sounds Walker Brothers-ish to me.
Track 10: Cajun raver. Sounds like it was recorded in the 80's or later but very traditional sounding otherwise.
Track 11: Sounds like an old-school pop ballad, with a crooning lead vocal, accompanied only by a subdued acoustic guitar.
Track 12: Driving C & W instrumental with some fleet-fingered lead guitar and steel, which leads me believe that Speedy West and/or Jimmy Bryant are involved in this recording.
Track 13: Jangly guitar pop. I always have time for this kind of thing.
Track 14: Another rockin' r & b number with a 50's/early 60 sound. Nifty guitar on this by a sideman named Zeke.
Track 15: Some 60's garage kicked off by a Farfisa organ riff. I'm pretty sure this is Mouse and the Traps.
Track 16: Boisterous power pop number with a Duane Eddy influenced guitar riff. The vocalist sounds like Eric Carmen or the singer from Pezband. Great!
Track 17: Bluesy jam with a "16 Tons" kind of groove and a deep-voiced singer.
Track 18: Starts with a Veracruz region of Mexico style of guitar, then transforms into straight mambo. From the vocalizations throughout, I strongly suspect this is by the great Perez Prado.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 25 Aug 2018, 15:01

pcqgod wrote:An enjoyable, generous 18 track mix:

Track 1: Beatle-esque thing, kind of a "Sexy Sadie" groove.

Everything about this band says I should hate them. I hatemetal, soft metal a la Foreigner even more so and don't get me started on looking ridiculous, and yet turn the compass a few degrees towards power pop and some strange magic happens. The great (although possbly the cheesiest band in the world) Emff Z'Enuff

Track 2: Spanish guitar leads off. didn't care for this one much other than the lead guitar fills and soloing throughout.

Rodriguez from the other album that isn't BCB fave Cold Fact which I think is almost as good
#
Track 3: Rocking r & b instrumental with some impressive guitar work and honking sax.

IKe Turner from way back when from the album that gathers togeyher his Instrumentals

Track 4: Pretty c & w ballad, late 50's/early 60's. Sounds like Brenda Lee to me.

Yep Brenda Lee does country

Track 5: R & B version of "It Ain't Me Babe" in 6/8 time with a gravelly vocal that could be by Tina Turner.

FRom the recent Bettye Lavette album of Dylan covers

Track 6: Airy rock-pop track with a prominent celeste part. Singer sounds kind of limited, but adequate for this song.

GReat obscure Australian band Rat Colums (and one can only begin to wonder at the names they rejected before deciding on that !)

Track 7: Rockin' r & b/jump blues juke joint jam with a gravelly voiced male singer. Great stuff.

If you like this and track 14, they both come from this dirt cheap 10CD no frills box set. Some obvious more well know selections and a fair few I jave elsewhere but loads of one off obscurities. THis I think I also have on one of the Cosimo Matassa sets - Roy Montrell

Track 8: This one is kind of an epic pop ballad. Pretty in an overblown sort of way. Sounds like something Eric Carmen would have done.

Can't argue with any of that - Secret Powers

Track 9: 60's? Ballad with a crooning lead vocal. Sounds Walker Brothers-ish to me.

Yep - The Walker Bothers, who really did plenty of great stuff besides Make It Easy On Yourself and The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymoew

Track 10: Cajun raver. Sounds like it was recorded in the 80's or later but very traditional sounding otherwise.

Geno Delafose, although there is a whole Delafose clan doing this stuff. Geno is the son of the family but in addition to his father there's uncles and cousins all over the place

Track 11: Sounds like an old-school pop ballad, with a crooning lead vocal, accompanied only by a subdued acoustic guitar.

I did wonder if this was a bit too subdued, but wanted to avoid the standards. Sinatra is still the king, but I can really dig the voice of the velvet fog hismself - Mel Torme
Track 12: Driving C & W instrumental with some fleet-fingered lead guitar and steel, which leads me believe that Speedy West and/or Jimmy Bryant are involved in this recording.

Another good spot - SPeedy and Jimmy indeed.

Track 13: Jangly guitar pop. I always have time for this kind of thing.

In C86 territory here. Bristol band The Brilliant Corners

Track 14: Another rockin' r & b number with a 50's/early 60 sound. Nifty guitar on this by a sideman named Zeke.

Pearl Bailey from the aforementioned comp

Track 15: Some 60's garage kicked off by a Farfisa organ riff. I'm pretty sure this is Mouse and the Traps.

Yep.

Track 16: Boisterous power pop number with a Duane Eddy influenced guitar riff. The vocalist sounds like Eric Carmen or the singer from Pezband. Great!

It is Pezband - a previously unreleased bonus track on the CD release of 1st album

Track 17: Bluesy jam with a "16 Tons" kind of groove and a deep-voiced singer.

It's easy to dismiss Screamin Jay as a "novelty" act but do so at your peril, even thogh he is clearly mad as fuck. Worth digging beyond I Put a Spell On You. As an aside I must have thought you'd be getting hungry by this point and somehow amused me to put Ice Cream Man and Peanut Vendor together to close the mix.

Track 18: Starts with a Veracruz region of Mexico style of guitar, then transforms into straight mambo. From the vocalizations throughout, I strongly suspect this is by the great Perez Prado.

Yeah. No one doe that mambo grunt quite like Perez

Well thanks for listening. I tried to mix it up a bit. Looks like you enjoyed a fair amount.

1. Enuff Z'Enuff - 5 Smiles Away
2. Rodriguez - Climb Up On My Music
3. Ike Turner & The Kings Of Rhythm - Trackdown Twist
4. Brenda Lee - Fool No 1
5. Bettye Lavette - It Ain't Me Babe
6. Rat Columns - She Loves The Rain
7. Roy Montrell - (Every Time I Hear That) Mellow Saxophone
8. Secret Powers - Heavy
9. The Walker Brothers - I Can See It Now
10. Geno Delafose - Jeunes filles de la campagne
11. Mel Torme - Nobody's Heart
12. Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant - Comin On
13. The Brilliant Corners - Forever
14. Pearl Bailey - I Can't Rock And Roll To Save My Soul
15. Mouse & The Traps - All For You
16. Pezband - Anything For Fun
17. Screamin Jay Hawkins - Ice Cream Man
18. Perez Prado - Peanut Vendor
We're way past rhubarb

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Aug 2018, 23:55

The Fish wrote:

If you like this and track 14, they both come from this dirt cheap 10CD no frills box set. Some obvious more well know selections and a fair few I jave elsewhere but loads of one off obscurities. THis I think I also have on one of the Cosimo Matassa sets - Roy Montrell

Sounds interesting.

Pearl Bailey from the aforementioned comp

:o

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Aug 2018, 06:32

Finally got back to HK recently, and had a chance to spin my mix over the last few days. Thanks for your patience, mixer.

1. An interesting opener - big '70s-style pop ballad, with hints of Bowie, Air Supply and everything in between. There's no arguing with the effort that's been put in, and instrumentally i quite like it without loving it, if that makes sense.

2. An enjoyable punky effort here, nice.

3. 'Homosapien' by Pete Shelley, a fave from my formative music years. Always a pleasure.

4. I came to John Martyn late, but have fallen in love with his catalogue very much, especially the '70s records. This one, 'The Gardeners' has a lovely jazzy feel that hits the spot for me musically, even if it feels like a bit of a minor song in itself.

5. This one is has been a favourite, looking forward to the reveal. It sounds familiar in ways, but cannot place it. Really good '70s style rock.

6. This one too, enjoyed it quite a bit. Touches of soul and rock mixed together in very enjoyable way. The singer pulls off the falsetto admirably, seldom easy.

7. Another enjoyable tune; the gentle acoustic feel of it paired with the strings and harmonized vocals was nice.

8. This one has been ok, if not quite as much of a stand-out compared to some of the other tunes.

9. The singer’s voice here is very familiar; in the chorus she sounds a lot like the lass from The Sundays. The gentle guitars with the quite arrangement are nice, a bit of a – if you’ll pardon the pun – sleeper.

10. Those ‘80’s drums do date this one a bit, but it’s a nice enough pop-rock tune, if not really what I listen to much these days.

11. This is more my thing – The Chills, i think, but more recent I perhaps and I haven’t kept up with their releases. Look forward to the reveal.

12. A nice guitar-heavy, atmospheric alternative rock-styled tune to close out the disc. Enjoyable, and the kind of thing I like to lose myself in once in a while.

Thanks mixer, much appreciated! 5, 6 and 11 especially were right up my alley.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 27 Aug 2018, 16:14

fange wrote:Finally got back to HK recently, and had a chance to spin my mix over the last few days. Thanks for your patience, mixer.

1. An interesting opener - big '70s-style pop ballad, with hints of Bowie, Air Supply and everything in between. There's no arguing with the effort that's been put in, and instrumentally i quite like it without loving it, if that makes sense.

John Howard - Goodbye Suzie from his album Kid in A Big World, great debut album and well worth seeking out, somewhat of a lost gem from 75

2. An enjoyable punky effort here, nice.

Pull Down The Shades from Kiwi punk heroes Toy Love featuring Flying Nun stalwart Chris Knox

3. 'Homosapien' by Pete Shelley, a fave from my formative music years. Always a pleasure.

Indeed

4. I came to John Martyn late, but have fallen in love with his catalogue very much, especially the '70s records. This one, 'The Gardeners' has a lovely jazzy feel that hits the spot for me musically, even if it feels like a bit of a minor song in itself.

Yep from the 1968 album the Tumbler

5. This one is has been a favourite, looking forward to the reveal. It sounds familiar in ways, but cannot place it. Really good '70s style rock.

Graham Nash Title track from his solo album Wild Tales - great album from the 1974 follow up album to Songs from Beginners

6. This one too, enjoyed it quite a bit. Touches of soul and rock mixed together in very enjoyable way. The singer pulls off the falsetto admirably, seldom easy.

Lady Luck from the sadly recently departed Richard Swift

7. Another enjoyable tune; the gentle acoustic feel of it paired with the strings and harmonized vocals was nice.

Sam Phillips from the Indescribable Wow album "What Do I Do"

8. This one has been ok, if not quite as much of a stand-out compared to some of the other tunes.

Go Betweens version of Broadway Bride from the unreleased Freakchild album, which I think ended up on Grant Mclennans debut solo record

9. The singer’s voice here is very familiar; in the chorus she sounds a lot like the lass from The Sundays. The gentle guitars with the quite arrangement are nice, a bit of a – if you’ll pardon the pun – sleeper.

The Sundays and "Folk Song" from Static and Silence

10. Those ‘80’s drums do date this one a bit, but it’s a nice enough pop-rock tune, if not really what I listen to much these days.

NZ singer songwriter Dave Dobbyn and Whaling

11. This is more my thing – The Chills, i think, but more recent I perhaps and I haven’t kept up with their releases. Look forward to the reveal.

Indeed it is the Chills and Night of Chill Blue from the BBC sessions album

12. A nice guitar-heavy, atmospheric alternative rock-styled tune to close out the disc. Enjoyable, and the kind of thing I like to lose myself in once in a while.

The reformed Ride , Title track from their recently released comeback album Weather Diaries

Thanks mixer, much appreciated! 5, 6 and 11 especially were right up my alley.

Cheers and glad you enjoyed it

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Sep 2018, 08:08

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 29 Dec 2018, 23:06

Many thanks to my mixer for the disc, it is an extremely enjoyable listen , all killer, no filler , mostly by artists I know but tracks I don't , which is great !
Many additional thanks for perseverance in getting the disc sent ! Much appreciated!

Track 1
Sweet sixties sounding reggae track which I really love - I’m a sucker for this sort of thing. No idea who it is but its ace,

Track 2
As is this , fantastic bluesy guitar playing and lovely horns , and wonderful vocal whats not to love. Its Buddy Guy I think.

Track 3
This is kinda familiar but Im not sure who it is, very enjoyable tho, big beat dance track

Track 4
Really love this track, Grace Jones, but not sure what album its from.Very groovy, as she usually is.

Track 5
Patti Smith, but don’t know it - not too familiar with anything after Gone Again - don’t know why tho cause I love that album. Great track.

Track 6
A typically fantastic track from the always fascinating Mr Robyn Hitchcock. Great lyrics of course - not sure what album this is from either.

Track 7
Latter day , Avalon era Roxy Music , extremely silky grooves and the amazing vocal stylings of Mr Ferry , always a pleasure to hear. The singer singing the phone book cliche applies.

Track 8
Another wonderful singer, Richard Hawley. Great track , very Elvissy.

Track 9
The brilliant genius of Robert Wyatt. Lovely ending track from Shleep I think. Beautiful.

Thanks again , wonderful mix , zero dud tracks , great stuff !

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2019, 20:29

yay! I will reveal later this eve :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jan 2019, 14:54

Well, very annoyingly I can't find the Itunes playlist that had this mix on it to reveal for you! I will take a closer look tomorrow...

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Feb 2019, 15:16

Mike Boom wrote:Many thanks to my mixer for the disc, it is an extremely enjoyable listen , all killer, no filler , mostly by artists I know but tracks I don't , which is great !
Many additional thanks for perseverance in getting the disc sent ! Much appreciated!

Track 1
Sweet sixties sounding reggae track which I really love - I’m a sucker for this sort of thing. No idea who it is but its ace,

Track 2
As is this , fantastic bluesy guitar playing and lovely horns , and wonderful vocal whats not to love. Its Buddy Guy I think.

Track 3
This is kinda familiar but Im not sure who it is, very enjoyable tho, big beat dance track

Track 4
Really love this track, Grace Jones, but not sure what album its from.Very groovy, as she usually is.

Track 5
Patti Smith, but don’t know it - not too familiar with anything after Gone Again - don’t know why tho cause I love that album. Great track.

Track 6
A typically fantastic track from the always fascinating Mr Robyn Hitchcock. Great lyrics of course - not sure what album this is from either.

Track 7
Latter day , Avalon era Roxy Music , extremely silky grooves and the amazing vocal stylings of Mr Ferry , always a pleasure to hear. The singer singing the phone book cliche applies.

Track 8

Track 9
The brilliant genius of Robert Wyatt. Lovely ending track from Shleep I think. Beautiful.

Can you name any of these tracks at all? I have hundreds of playlists that I never give proper names to and I want to do your reveal but I can't until I can find a playlist with even just one of these songs on. Sorry to be a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

Dr Markus wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 Feb 2019, 19:13

Not sure of the track names but I think the artists are something like this -

1. Andy Capp - The Law
2, Buddy Guy - ?
3. ?
4. Grace Jones
5. Patti Smith
6. Robyn Hitchcock
7. Roxy Music - To Turn You On
8. Richard Hawley
9. Robert Wyatt

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Mar 2019, 15:45

Fantastic! Thanks.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Mar 2019, 01:44

Mike Boom wrote:Many thanks to my mixer for the disc, it is an extremely enjoyable listen , all killer, no filler , mostly by artists I know but tracks I don't , which is great !

Track 1

Track 2

Track 3

Track 4

Track 5

Track 6

Track 7

Track 8

Track 9

Many thanks for your patience dear! I found the playlist which I had titled BOOM BOOM BOOM and yet I still didn’t click. What a twat!

Anyway, here is your reveal my dear

1. Andy Capp ‘The Law’
2. Buddy Guy ‘I Got My Eyes on You’
3. Fatboy Slim ‘You’re Not From Brighton’
4. Grace Jones ‘Williams Blood’
5. Patti Smith ‘April Fool’
6. Robyn Hitchcock ‘Mexican God’
7. Roxy Music ‘To Turn You On’
8. Richard Hawley ‘Darlin Wait For Me’
9. Robert Wyatt ‘Maryan’

You’ll notice I scrolled down to the ‘Rs’ and stayed there :D

Dr Markus wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 Mar 2019, 22:38

Many thanks for your patience dear! I found the playlist which I had titled BOOM BOOM BOOM and yet I still didn’t click. What a twat!

Anyway, here is your reveal my dear

1. Andy Capp ‘The Law’
2. Buddy Guy ‘I Got My Eyes on You’
3. Fatboy Slim ‘You’re Not From Brighton’
4. Grace Jones ‘Williams Blood’
5. Patti Smith ‘April Fool’
6. Robyn Hitchcock ‘Mexican God’
7. Roxy Music ‘To Turn You On’
8. Richard Hawley ‘Darlin Wait For Me’
9. Robert Wyatt ‘Maryan’

You’ll notice I scrolled down to the ‘Rs’ and stayed there :D

Nice one!
The R's turned out to be pretty damn good, the S's are pretty sensational too I find!

Return to “Mix Club”