Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
sloopjohnc

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Oct 2018, 16:29

I had heard that Ozark was good the other week with the new season coming up so I started it and couldn't stop. Great series with good story and good acting. Sometimes, I can't get behind a series that loses its verisimilitude halfway - Breaking Bad comes to mind.

But this kinda starts off as thorny and just gets thornier. I do wonder, however, how Jason Bateman and his family get tangled up with so many criminals. But the characters are all good and interesting, as the story progresses well.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

driftin

Postby driftin » 03 Oct 2018, 09:36

Season 2. Good stuff.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Oct 2018, 16:21

I'm still enjoying repeats of Motherland . Graham Linehan directs and is on the writing team.

Julia's finally found a nanny (who's Australian), so she can go back to work full time but realises she actually can't stand her.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Oct 2018, 12:19

TootyFrooty wrote:

Pretty good, but not big on laughs. But KP is clearly a talented individual.

It's starting to look like this is actually something pretty special. I watched the third episode last night and it's deeper and darker (but still not exactly hilarious). Much of the dialogue looks like it might have been improvised, it's very natural and believable. Some people are comparing it to Beckett (!). I wouldn't know, but I'd definitely recommend the show. The first four episodes are now available on Sky.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 05 Oct 2018, 12:46

I've been watching a lot of 'Dopesick Nation' on Vice lately. Recently, someone I once cared greatly about passed away at the age of 37 - heart attack. She died alone in a shitty section 8 apt and was a long time abuser of her body and her mind. I feel I gave up on her as a person, and she definitely gave up on herself. This show, along with her passing, has really made me question my commitment to being a friend, of loving unconditionally, of being a human being.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Oct 2018, 13:14

VICE is an excellent channel.

I wish that cooking show wasn't hosted by the fat bloke who shouts the whole time, tho'
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

`

Postby ` » 05 Oct 2018, 17:27

Samoan wrote:I'm still enjoying repeats of Motherland . Graham Linehan directs and is on the writing team.

Julia's finally found a nanny (who's Australian), so she can go back to work full time but realises she actually can't stand her.

The usual smug, bland, vapid nonsense.

borofan

Postby borofan » 05 Oct 2018, 18:03

caramba wrote:
Samoan wrote:I'm still enjoying repeats of Motherland . Graham Linehan directs and is on the writing team.

The usual smug, bland, vapid nonsense.

You must be fun at parties...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

`

Postby ` » 05 Oct 2018, 18:29

borofan wrote:

I wasn't talking about the show, I was talking about the poster who often trolls my posts

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 05 Oct 2018, 19:15

caramba wrote:
borofan wrote:

I wasn't talking about the show, I was talking about the poster who often trolls my posts

Curious.
I don't think you really understand how message boards work, are very inexperienced in social media interaction or really know what a "troll" (or "trolling") is.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

`

Postby ` » 06 Oct 2018, 09:34

Samoan wrote:
caramba wrote:
borofan wrote:

Curious.
I don't think you really understand how message boards work, are very inexperienced in social media interaction or really know what a "troll" (or "trolling") is.

I'm far from being the only BCBer who's called you out for trolling, S.

While I may lack your encyclopaedic knowledge of social media, that's probably because I have something called "a life".

Maybe you should finish your pot noodle, shut down your computer and go out and get one for yourself.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Oct 2018, 17:45

I'm not sure if everyone can see this on Netflix, but if you are interested in a break from Nordic Noir and want to see a very different side of scandinavian life, I'd really recommend watching the Bonus Family. This is an moving, well-acted/scripted/directed series. It's produced by the same guys who did Solsidan, which is sweden's biggest comedy series, but while there is comedy here (and you recognise some of the same comedic touches) it is mainly a very sensitive portrayal of how break-ups/divorces affect families, and trying to move on with step-children, step-parents, step-brothers/sisters etc.

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 13 Oct 2018, 11:49

The Disappearance (Disparu)

Nordic Noir moves south and pitches up in Lyon. Léa is a popular girl who celebrates turning 17 by getting her first tattoo and attending an outdoor gig. Then she disappears, leaving her family in ruins and the police in puzzlement. It is quickly revealed that she has secrets (cocaine and motor racing) and that the tattoo isn't even real. Oh, and everyone else in the family also has secrets. Three episodes in, we already have a deeply tangled web.

This is gripping but it is very generic. Indeed, you wouldn't even guess this was a French show if it wasn't for the language, so tightly does it replicate the Scandi model in both looks and mood. Comparisons with The Killing are inevitable, to the extent that the dream sequence that opens episode two even seems to be a direct homage to the chase that starts the Danish masterpiece. I'm hooked, but I hope it develops more of a character of its own as it develops over the remaining five episodes.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Oct 2018, 16:22

I watched that. It's enjoyable - it does keep you hooked, but as you say it is very generic.

borofan

Postby borofan » 13 Oct 2018, 17:57

It was on BBC4 a couple of years ago. Enjoyable but fairly forgettable.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Oct 2018, 22:07

Just watched the second episode of this hugely entertaining BBC2 documentary, based on the life of the charismatic, foul-mouthed Greenberg. Loads of fun.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Oct 2018, 21:43

Finished the second series of 'The I.T. Crowd' today. Are the others worth watching?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Oct 2018, 22:18

Anyone watch The Gledback Hostage thing..enthralling.
The German authorities really were more incompetent than you could ever believe.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 28 Oct 2018, 23:53

Daredevil Season 3. Jaw dropping brilliance.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Oct 2018, 12:35

The Modernist wrote:Anyone watch The Gledback Hostage thing..enthralling.
The German authorities really were more incompetent than you could ever believe.

is there a new documentary about it then? the story itself really is jawdropping and awful.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Screenadelica”