Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Apr 2018, 21:51

Darkness_Fish wrote:I'm keeping it lowbrow, too:

Don't you always? :lol:
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Apr 2018, 22:10

Hmph. I'll have you know Friday 13th Part 6 is criminally underrated...

and cinematography and stuff.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 15 Apr 2018, 22:36

I was trying to be a good friend, so I was roped into seeing

I don't watch a lot of horror. If this is a good example of it, it's why I don't watch horror.
I thought it was really really stupid.

What's his name with the youngest face in the world, Alex Lawther (apparently) was really really good.
Everthing else was a bit moronic. I'd be interested to find out if I'm just a high brow snob and I don't get to rate these things anymore.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Apr 2018, 17:11

The Brother from Another Planet (1984)

I remember seeing trailers for this movie back in the mid-80's but I never got around to watching it until now. It's pretty much everything I expected knowing the director: quirky, funny, very human and occasionally touching, filled with strong characters and lifelike dialogue.

Elvis Presley: The Searcher (2018)

HBO documentary that traces the career of Elvis Presley from his early days growing up in Mississippi up to his death, exploring his wide range of influences and his desire to follow his muse, which put him at odds with his management and the music buying public on occasion. It's constructed from archival footage and new and old interviews from contemporaries, musicians he worked with and other important people in his life, music historians and admirers, and the man himself.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Apr 2018, 17:54

Is it any good?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Apr 2018, 19:24

The Elvis documentary? I thought it was well-made. How much you like it might depend on how interesting you find the topic and how many fawning comments from Tom Petty you care to hear.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Apr 2018, 20:22

I can mute TP :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 17 Apr 2018, 00:17

Oldies.

The above by Fritz Lang. It's a very raw title! I liked it better than The Big Heat. It’s a gricer’s delight with all the train footage. Ellen = Audrey Horne. She's his only hope if he's going to keep his engine on the rails.

Henry Hathaway's on-board skulduggery doesn't match up to Lang's.

WHtBJ is a grievously fucked up picture I'd like to watch again. There's stuff going on in there... sometimes you don't know which decade you're in at all. But then neither does Baby Jane.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 17 Apr 2018, 02:24

toomanyhatz wrote:Image

A bit disappointing, frankly. A bit cartoonish - some of the dialog in particular reads like a high school history assignment - though the acting is generally good - particularly Bruce Dern as Joe Kennedy.

Unless you're really interested in the incident - which the movie speculates on, but really doesn't offer any new facts - it's not worth rushing to see. A decent TV movie masquerading as important cinema.

I haven't seen it, but read an article saying it did indeed offer new facts -- facts that weren't true! Seemed like it mischaracterized a number of things for sensationalistic purposes, (hopefully not) creating a new public narrative about this incident.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 17 Apr 2018, 10:41

What starts out as a breezy celebration turns thoroughly depressing. Loads of modern day footage as they trudge from Punk festival to Punk festival as their new line up delivers loose versions of the classics. Scabies, although ostracised from the new Damned, is clearly the heart of the thing. It’s heartbreaking to see him in tears when he talks about how things turned out.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Apr 2018, 14:28

Not sure why this film has this particular title, or why they're so intent on marketing it as a horror. Really, it's attempting to be at the artier end of the spectrum, as it's a film which neither explains the circumstance of the characters, nor really what the end is. Or why that's the end.

Was ok, but not exciting.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2018, 14:30

hippopotamus wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't find them too clever.

I do find them annoying from what I've seen though

I think it's a bit of a pity he's become such an Entity. The more I think of it, the more I don't think it makes much sense to lump all his films together, as though they are all trying to achieve the same thing. I suppose if you found his camera angles and general aesthetic offensive, that would probably be grounds to dismiss them all... and that's okay. I like some, I don't like some, I love two or three.

I find his relentless vertical and horizontal camera tracking visually tiresome - as though I'm trapped inside a video game or something.

Even so, I do find his some his movies engaging and I really did enjoy Isle of Dogs (and Grand Budapest Hotel).

Meanwhile,

The new one from the guy who did The Lobster and Dogtooth. Plenty of disturbing weirdness, and it's since it's based on an ancient play by Euripides, it's okay that it doesn't really make sense. I liked it quite a bit.

Also, I, Tonya (a lot of fun, particularly the mother's performance), Three Billboards... (Sam Rockwell is great in it) and Lady Bird (good, but I already can't even remember it very well).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Apr 2018, 18:21

Snarfyguy wrote:Also, I, Tonya (a lot of fun, particularly the mother's performance), Three Billboards... (Sam Rockwell is great in it) and Lady Bird (good, but I already can't even remember it very well).

Agree completely with all of that. I think I liked I, Tonya the most.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2018, 20:16

Oh, I forgot, I saw The Shape of Water, too. G. Del Toro's on a roll these days. Outstanding performances from all the leads, especially Michael Shannon's over-the-top villain.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 17 Apr 2018, 20:30

Where the Damned film bummed me out, this one makes me bounce around.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2018, 23:08

^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Apr 2018, 23:10

It’s alright. Nothing really new or illuminating but it’s nice just to visit their world
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Apr 2018, 23:25

Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!

Actually the reviews were rather positive all in all:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gimme_danger

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Apr 2018, 01:58

algroth wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:^^^ I have that in my Netflix queue, although I understand it received what are euphemistically called "mixed reviews." I'm encouraged to hear a dissenting opinion!

Actually the reviews were rather positive all in all:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gimme_danger

[CRITICS' SCORE]

95%
Average Rating: 7/10
Reviews Counted: 100
Fresh: 95
Rotten: 5
Critics Consensus: Its infectious enthusiasm for its subjects - and Iggy Pop's ingratiating presence - more than make up for the effortlessly entertaining Gimme Danger's relative lack of context or depth.

AUDIENCE SCORE

68%
liked it
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 2,142

(my alteration and emphasis)

Hmm, okay. I suspect it's been graded on a curve by the critics, but I'm up for it!

algroth

Postby algroth » 18 Apr 2018, 04:01

Oh, sure, that's why I said "rather" and not "very". But your use of "euphemistically" suggested the reviews were tending more to the negative side.

Return to “Screenadelica”