"Summer of Soul" film

..and why not?
fange
100% fangetastic

"Summer of Soul" film

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2022, 03:20

Have you seen it, and what did you think of it?

Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) is a 2021 American documentary film about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival, directed by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson in his directorial debut.[3]

The film had its world premiere at the 2021 Sundance Film Festival on January 28, 2021 where it won the Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award in the documentary categories. It received a limited theatrical release in the United States by Searchlight Pictures on June 25, 2021 before expanding the following weekend and released via streaming on Hulu.

It received acclaim from critics with praise aimed at the footage restoration. It has won numerous awards, including Best Documentary Feature at the 6th Critics' Choice Documentary Awards with a total of a leading and sweeping six awards at that ceremony. It also won Best Documentary at the 75th British Academy Film Awards, Best Documentary Feature at the 94th Academy Awards,[4] and Best Music Film at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Brickyard Jack

Re: "Summer of Soul" film

Postby Brickyard Jack » 18 Apr 2022, 07:57

I started watching it on Disney +- - the first 20 minutes were a bit boring and I haven't picked it up again. I will at some stage, but it has been several months now......

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2022, 09:43

Yeah, i guess if it doesn't catch your attention immediately, there probably isn't anything that later that would change your mind.

I liked it from the start, an liked it even more by the end, but it's far from a perfect doco film. It IS very well done though, but i think the footage is AMAZING and does most of the work... Questlove just had to let the footage do its own talking really.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 18 Apr 2022, 12:19

I don't think any act has played anything in the first 20 mins,so the actual songs may be better!

I saw another doc aroubd the same time about,making Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace album, and thought that was fantastic.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2022, 12:28

Oh really? I thought there were a couple of performances early... maybe i need to rewatch it! :lol: Anyway, the footage is just amazing - so colourful and vibrant. There are some KILLER live perfomances, with Sly, Stevie, Gladys, the Staples, the 5th D...damn MOST of them kick ass.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 18 Apr 2022, 12:46

fange wrote:Oh really? I thought there were a couple of performances early... maybe i need to rewatch it! :lol: .

Maybe I do too! :lol:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Apr 2022, 15:36

I love love love love loved it, and need to see it again. Actually got a bit teary-eyed at various points.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 01 May 2022, 12:38

It's amazing stuff.

But as noted elsewhere, a Criterion-style Bluray with complete songs (or even performances) would be nice.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Return to “Screenadelica”