"Alone" (2020)

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"Alone" (2020)

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Nov 2021, 23:07

Browsing my latest streaming site (Danish viaplay), I decided to give "Alone" a chance tonight. This taut 2020 thriller pares down all the well-known cat-and-mouse tropes in a minimalist story pitting a strong and resourceful young woman against the twin forces of a vengeful psycho killer and of the raging elements of nature. Not your average slasher film, then, "Alone" builds much of the pulse-pounding suspense around critical scenes of life-or-death decision-making. We fear with the woman, wondering not only what she will do next, but what we would do in her place. The film owes much of its success to the performance of Jules Willcox, who plays the hunted woman with gut-wrenching instinct and physicality. A genre exercise in its purest form, "Alone" delivers on all fronts and gets top marks from me.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 17 Nov 2021, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: "Alone" (2020)

Postby ChrisB » 08 Nov 2021, 23:51

GoogaMooga wrote:Browsing my latest streaming site (Danish viaplay), I decided to give "Alone" a chance tonight. This taut 2020 thriller pares down all the well-known cat-and-mouse tropes in a minimalist story pitting a strong and resourceful young woman against the twin forces of a vengeful psycho killer and of the raging elements of nature. Not your average slasher film, then, "Alone" builds much of the pulse-pounding suspense around critical scenes of life-or-death decision-making. We fear with the woman, wondering not only what she will do next, but what we would do in her place. The film owes much of its success to the performance of Jules Willcox, who plays the hunted woman with gut-wrenching instinct and physicality. A genre exercise in its purest from, "Alone" delivers on all fronts and gets top marks from me.

Watched it on small screen earlier this year. Not a huge fan of this genre, but it was well made, taut and exciting.

Return to “Screenadelica”