"Manchester by the Sea"

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"Manchester by the Sea"

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Jun 2021, 08:15

What a great little film "Manchester by the Sea" is. So quiet and understated, it doesn't try hard at all - and it is precisely by not trying that it never feels forced. It can still be imaginative, however, with some bold and bouncy cutting, and an in-your-face use of classical elegiac music. This unpretentious indie set in a small town on the East Coast, Manchester by the Sea, really breaks the mold. The title of the film may be the first thing to intrigue; you feel you get to see a more real, more authentic America - ordinary people saying ordinary things and going about their everyday lives in a matter-of-fact manner. This unadorned, voidoid approach to life produces scenes of startling, baffling, and even tragicomical honesty. Top Marks.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Re: "Manchester by the Sea"

Postby Jimbly » 04 Jul 2021, 22:45

hated it.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 04 Jul 2021, 22:49

From 4 years ago...

I found it completely unengaging. Affleck who I like as an actor was totally blank, no real insight into grief. just staring and being silent. His nephew was a total pain in the arse. The use of the classical music was manipulative beyond belief after it being so low key through out. Apart from that.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 04 Jul 2021, 23:38

One of the most unengaging films I have ever watched
Though I turned it off with a half hour to go as it offended me in its awfulness.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Jul 2021, 00:26

That took longer than I thought!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Jul 2021, 01:52

Loved the whole thing. One of the rare films that actually changed my outlook on life. I'd say top 10 this century.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Screenadelica”