Max von Sydow RIP

..and why not?
Brickyard Jack

Max von Sydow RIP

Postby Brickyard Jack » 09 Mar 2020, 20:49

Great actor, from Bergman to JJ Abrams with a bit of "Flash! Ah-ah!" along the way.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Max von Sydow RIP

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Mar 2020, 22:14

Scandinavia's greatest international superstar actor. His Bergman work alone could make a top 10. RIP
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Mar 2020, 22:16

A very gifted actor. I had to smile when I read this on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Sydow

Von Sydow was reported to be either an agnostic[10] or an atheist.[24] In 2012, he told Charlie Rose in an interview that Ingmar Bergman had told him he would contact him after death to show him that there was a life after death. When Rose asked von Sydow if he had heard from Bergman, he replied that he had, but chose not to elaborate further on the exact meaning of this statement. In the same interview, he described himself as a doubter in his youth, but stated this doubt was gone, and indicated he came to agree with Bergman's belief in the afterlife.[25] :)

Let us know how you're doing Max .. R.I.P.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Mar 2020, 16:42

It's hard to believe that Bergman had a belief in the afterlife!

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 11 Mar 2020, 18:19

He should never have moved king’s bishop to g6. :(
But what a splendid innings!
Here is a very sweet interview from when he was a mere 82; he appears to have found large swathes of his working life ”boring”, by which he seems to mean he got a bit typecast.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/feb/13/max-von-sydow-interview

But he must have had a lot of love for the process - dying at 90 with a couple of films in the can. Respect.

I would like to sneak in a recommendation for Shame, which I think ranks very high amongst his (and Bergman’s) work but always seems overlooked/forgotten.

Return to “Screenadelica”