"Lykke-Per" (2018)

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"Lykke-Per" (2018)

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jan 2019, 20:50

STONE-COLD MASTERPIECE: Bille August's crowning achievement, the epic film, "Lykke-Per" (168 min.) and TV mini series (appx. 240 min.) is a visual tour de force, a haute bourgeois costumer with heart, featuring a stellar cast and lensed by Denmark's finest cinematographer, the veteran Dirk Brüel. It is based on Henrik Pontoppidan's novel cycle from 1898, "Lykke-Per", which won him the Nobel Prize in Literature. I chose it for my Danish syllabus for the I.B. exam, and I think August has captured the feel of the book and the zeitgeist of the dawn of modernity with remarkable results, boiling what is 800+ pages down to a manageable 3-4 hours of screen time. There can be no doubt that the mini series is the one to get on DVD; seldom has old Denmark looked so beautiful and pastoral, an elegiac ode to young manhood and blind ambition, the turmoil of genius and the forces of nature conflicting and contrasting like a whirlwind of change. Top marks all around.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Screenadelica”