Recent repeat of Public Eye series from the 60s and 70s

..and why not?
`

Recent repeat of Public Eye series from the 60s and 70s

Postby ` » 30 Dec 2018, 11:21

Saw five or six of these in the UK while back on holiday. Thanks largely to some excellent scripts and a wonderfully understated performance from Alfred Burke as the down at heel PI*, the show has worn surprisingly well.

Given the strong response it seemed to get from viewers, am pretty sure Talking Pictures (which showed the reruns) will be repeating the whole thing again before very long.

Anyone else here hooked?

* Thlnk Jim Rockford only set in the UK and having several years before TRF

Rayge

Re: Recent repeat of Public Eye series from the 60s and 70s

Postby Rayge » 30 Dec 2018, 12:36

caramba wrote:Saw five or six of these in the UK while back on holiday. Thanks largely to some excellent scripts and a wonderfully understated performance from Alfred Burke as the down at heel PI*, the show has worn surprisingly well.

Given the strong response it seemed to get from viewers, am pretty sure Talking Pictures (which showed the reruns) will be repeating the whole thing again before very long.

Anyone else here hooked?

* Thlnk Jim Rockford only set in the UK and having several years before TRF

I didn't know about the repeats, but I saw all the London-based black and white ones at the time they were first broadcast and really enjoyed them – although details beyond the quality of Burke, and Marker ending up in prison at the end, elude me. I see what you mean about the Rockford Files, but Public eye was much more downbeat and seedier, and Jim was much more of a ladies' man. I just read the wikipedia entry, and I don't remember much, if anything, of the colour episodes in the 1970s, or the changes of setting, so I'll look out for them on Talking Pictures, cheers.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

`

Re: Recent repeat of Public Eye series from the 60s and 70s

Postby ` » 30 Dec 2018, 13:36

The first run of all of the surviving episodes - there are still apparently a lot of the early BW ones after he gets out of nick
that haven't been wiped - finished about a month ago. As my brother in law in Reading still had most of the last colour series from, I think, 1975, managed to catch those. Would imagine that like their recent reruns of Herbert Lom in the Human Jungle which got repeated very quickly they will re-run them again quite soon. The listings over at Talking Pictures are well worth checking up - most recent gem I missed was Tony Newley in that Sammy Lee gangster flick he did in about 1963. Wish they'd show some of the Wednesday Plays from around that time - a surprising numbner of them were shot on film and so didn't get culled

Return to “Screenadelica”