Mickey is 90

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Mickey is 90

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2018, 08:14

MICKEY IS 90: It was 90 years ago today that the world's most beloved cartoon character made his first appearance - Mickey Mouse, the squeaky-voiced, white-gloved anthropormophic rodent that became an icon and corporate trademark for The Walt Disney Company. Thanks to Mickey and a host of other memorable characters, The Walt Disney Company became the world's most successful entertainment conglomerate, with a turnover this fiscal year of nearly 60 billion dollars. Born in Chicago in 1901, same year as Carl Barks, Walter Elias Disney was a struggling commercial illustrator when he met fellow artist Ub Iwerks at the Pesmen-Rubin Commercial Art Studio in Kansas City towards the end of 1919. Due to falling revenue, they were both laid off in January 1920, and decided to set up shop for themselves. One thing led to another, and by 1923 Disney had relocated to Hollywood, where he formed The Disney Brothers Studio with his brother, Roy. Ub Iwerks was invited to join in July 1924, and that set the course for what would eventually become an empire. Disney was one of the first who saw the potential in cel animation, and decided to make a move from mixed format to all animation in 1927. The first character, Oswald the Rabbit, was but a taste of what was to follow. After a disagreement with producer Charles Mintz over payment and intellectual rights held by Universal, Disney lost all of his staff except for Ub Iwerks, with whom he created a new character in 1928. At first called Mortimer Mouse, inker Lillian Bounds suggested the name "Mickey" instead, and after Iwerks had improved on Disney's provisional character sketches, Mickey Mouse was ready to take the world by storm. He first appeared in two shorts, "Plane Crazy" and "The Gallopin' Gaucho". The third short in 1928, "Steamboat Willie", used synchronized sound, and that was a wise move. The Mouse soon became popular all over the world, and comics, merchandise, and other things were to follow.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Mickey is 90

Postby naughty boy » 18 Nov 2018, 16:35

COPENHAGEN: Originally a Viking fishing village established in the 10th century in the vicinity of what is now Gammel Strand, Copenhagen became the capital of Denmark in the early 15th century. Beginning in the 17th century it consolidated its position as a regional centre of power with its institutions, defences and armed forces. After suffering from the effects of plague and fire in the 18th century, the city underwent a period of redevelopment. This included construction of the prestigious district of Frederiksstaden and founding of such cultural institutions as the Royal Theatre and the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. After further disasters in the early 19th century when Horatio Nelson attacked the Dano-Norwegian fleet and bombarded the city, rebuilding during the Danish Golden Age brought a Neoclassical look to Copenhagen's architecture. Later, following the Second World War, the Finger Plan fostered the development of housing and businesses along the five urban railway routes stretching out from the city centre.

Since the turn of the 21st century, Copenhagen has seen strong urban and cultural development, facilitated by investment in its institutions and infrastructure. The city is the cultural, economic and governmental centre of Denmark; it is one of the major financial centres of Northern Europe with the Copenhagen Stock Exchange. Copenhagen's economy has seen rapid developments in the service sector, especially through initiatives in information technology, pharmaceuticals and clean technology. Since the completion of the Øresund Bridge, Copenhagen has become increasingly integrated with the Swedish province of Scania and its largest city, Malmö, forming the Øresund Region. With a number of bridges connecting the various districts, the cityscape is characterised by parks, promenades and waterfronts. Copenhagen's landmarks such as Tivoli Gardens, The Little Mermaid statue, the Amalienborg and Christiansborg palaces, Rosenborg Castle Gardens, Frederik's Church, and many museums, restaurants and nightclubs are significant tourist attractions. The largest lake of Denmark, Arresø, lies around 27 miles (43 kilometers) northwest of the City Hall Square.

Copenhagen is home to the University of Copenhagen, the Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen Business School and the IT University of Copenhagen. The University of Copenhagen, founded in 1479, is the oldest university in Denmark. Copenhagen is home to the FC København and Brøndby football clubs. The annual Copenhagen Marathon was established in 1980. Copenhagen is one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the world.

The Copenhagen Metro launched in 2002 serves central Copenhagen while the Copenhagen S-train and Lokaltog (private railway) and the Coast Line network serves and connects central Copenhagen to outlying boroughs. To relieve traffic congestion, which is partly the result of increased traffic because of the Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link road and rail construction is planned because the narrow 9-9.5 mile isthmus between Roskilde Fjord and Køge Bugt (Køge Bay) forms a traffic bottleneck. The Copenhagen-Ringsted Line will relieve traffic congestion in the corridor between Roskilde and Copenhagen.

Serving roughly two million passengers a month, Copenhagen Airport, Kastrup, is the busiest airport in the Nordic countries.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2018, 17:28

:lol: You can cut-and-paste, I see! Now, have you heard of a blue pencil?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Nov 2018, 11:02

Happy fuckin' birthday Mickey!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Nov 2018, 14:47

never/ever wrote:Happy fuckin' birthday Mickey!

We've been doing this every ten years

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Nov 2018, 17:55

I'm sure a lot of US kids my age grew up on the Wide World of Disney, which came on each Sunday night on NBC. Besides the movie, you got a weekly fix of Disney stuff, including old Disney shorts, which always featured Mickey.

I think the first time we went to Disneyland was when I was about seven. That discounts the time my parents took us to Griffith Park when we were little to visit my cousins in Van Nuys and told us it was Disneyland.

The first thing I wanted when we went was a mouse ears cap, which tons of people get, and had my name woven into the back.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Nov 2018, 19:46

Danish TV began showing the classic shorts as matinees once a week, Fridays I think it was, back in the 1980s. The Swedes envied us, they didn't get those. They were deemed non-pc for Swedish TV. My one trip to Disneyland in Anaheim was in 1980. I clearly remember the long queue for Space Mountain. Other than that ride I really enjoyed the historical exhibition where they screened Steamboat Willie and other things.

Return to “Screenadelica”