Mr Robot

..and why not?
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Mr Robot

Postby Penk! » 15 Dec 2018, 20:53

I'm going to revive this thread as I'm nearing the end of season three, and after a very unsteady season two - I got the impression they ran out of ideas at the end of the excellent first season, and took some time figuring out where to go next - the show really seems to have taken off again.

The ostensible hacking theme is perhaps a little "niche", but the increasingly political bent - a lot of very direct Trump stuff in this season - makes it more universal and the acting is top-notch (OK, I find Carly Chaikin a bit annoying but Rami Malek is destined for great things [much as I hate Queen, maybe the Mercury biop will give him the increased exposure he deserves] and I love Grace Gummer and - obvs - Bobby Cannavale too).

Some of the plotlines and characters (that's you, Angela) continue to struggle for life, which is what holds it back from being genuinely great TV, maybe, but the clincher, for me, is that I find it an incredibly cinematic show: the cinematography, editing and production are spellbinding, while even the weaker episodes are bursting with ideas and connections. It's a show that wants you to think: not just about its politics but about what its images mean, what is going on in the background, how people relate.

Anyone else stuck with it?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Re: Mr Robot

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 16 Dec 2018, 22:50

They seemed to make it a bit more conventional and understandable in season 3, as the second season was so freaking confusing. A bit of exposition helps.
king of the divan

Return to “Screenadelica”