Comedians in cars getting coffee

..and why not?
straw mimsy

Comedians in cars getting coffee

Postby straw mimsy » 22 Dec 2014, 09:37

I watch this whenever I remember it exists...I forget about it for a while, then I catch up.

A few observations:

Jerry Seinfeld is the boredest man on earth

I have come to like so many of the guests after feeling ambivalent or outright disliking them after watching an episode with them

Interesting how he's including Michael Richards

Comedians love talking about Comedy, but Really love talking about what it's like to be a comedian

A lot of people are funnier than you think (including Seinfeld himself)

And after finding myself talking about it for MUCH longer than I've ever really thought about it before:

It's a really NEW medium for celebrity snapshots (I think) -- one that could only be done if you are Seinfeld, you know everybody and making money isn't an issue.

If you haven't seen it, do.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/

If you have, do I read too much into it? Or have you LONGED for an outlet to talk about - Just Like This!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Comedians in cars getting coffee

Postby naughty boy » 22 Dec 2014, 09:48

Yeah - I saw a few of them not too long ago. It's enjoyable enough. I agree with what you say about Seinfeld. And I liked the one with Larry David a lot.

There's that other show, I think it's called Talking Comedy (or something similarly plain) - two different guests every episode, interviewed by this old fella with white hair and even whiter teeth who smiles a lot. It's great. Don Rickles trots out his old Sinatra story. You'd definitely like it.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 22 Dec 2014, 10:11

It is exactly enjoyable enough.

though sometimes I actually laugh out loud. Usually at weird thing, but I guess that's the point. It's supposed to catch you off-guard. It's what Seinfeld does.

The one with Larry David was the one that hooked me. Not LEAST because I like the dynamic between them. It's also a good example of what I was talking about-- I mean Larry David is on show all over the place-- but writing for a show, or having your own show, you Put On a show. Even talk shows-- it's all PR.

In that episode that anecdote he tells about how his wife couldn't stand him giving up coffee, and how uncomfortable he was eating a pancake is something I find myself talking about with other people.

Because it's true, people ARE weird about sharing drinks together.

Haven't heard of Talking Comedy, but White hair and white smiling teeth are definitely my thing.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 22 Dec 2014, 10:14

Inside Comedy is the name, sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Comedy
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Dec 2014, 14:32

You may want to check out the WTF with Marc Maron podcast. He interviews a lot of comedians as well. Many of the comics are inconsequential to me and I skip those shows but when he has on really big comedians like Mel Brooks and Robin Williams, well, those are great programs. I think they are on YouTube now.
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Dec 2014, 19:49

I like the show - Whenever I see Aziz Answari I wonder how such a great comedy actor can be so bad a stand-up?

I've always liked Ali Wentworth and this made me like her even more.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

di Maio
Location: Down in Dixieland loudly playing a silver fiddle, minding the Man

Postby di Maio » 27 Dec 2014, 04:25

The episode that piqued my interest the most was with Joel Hodgson. In the beginning, you can tell Seinfeld is struggling to elicit anything from Hodgson. He's pushing into different topics, but the guest is barely responding. Then Seinfeld hits on the ketchup topic and you see Hodgson light up a bit and play back. Even with that, it seems as if he's holding back. I wonder whether his reticence is because his style of comedy is so unlike any other guest on the show. It's clear Seinfeld respects that different style, so it makes for good viewing.

Return to “Screenadelica”