Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 27 May 2014, 13:33

I'm Monsieur Chuck.
king of the divan

F.o.W

Postby F.o.W » 27 May 2014, 20:15

Tactful Cactus wrote:
F.o.W wrote:Going to see it for the fourth time, on Thursday.

Fuck. Really?!
Have you watched other Wes films? You're either a hopeless super fan or you've never seen a Wes film before.

Fuck, yes.
Seen Fantastic Mr. Fox, was ok, but this film just clicked for me, loved the little cameos & Ralph Fiennes was just brilliant.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

F.o.W

Postby F.o.W » 27 May 2014, 20:20

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I'm Monsieur Chuck.

:D
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

watts

Postby watts » 27 May 2014, 21:30

I enjoyed it -- saw it with the husband and kid.

- SPOILERS -
The kid seems to really GET the films of Wes Anderson. She was introduced to him with Fantastic Mr. Fox and then saw Moonrise Kingdom, both of which she enjoyed. Grand Budapest was her first R rated feature in a theater -- she liked it -- we were concerned about the potential gore and violence based on some parental reviews we'd read, but decided to risk it with the caveat that it MIGHT be gross or scary for V beforehand. She didn't seem bothered by any of it -- but she was quite audibly happy when Willem Dafoe met his end -- she loves it when the bad guys get their just desserts.

Jeff thought it was funny that I had no particular reaction to any of the violence, or Jeff Goldblums finger misadventure, but visibly recoiled and sucked air in when Adrien Brody destroyed that Schiele-esque painting. I was seriously upset by that!
Last edited by watts on 27 May 2014, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
--m

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 May 2014, 21:35

watts wrote:Jeff thought it was funny that I had no particular reaction to any of the violence, or Jeff Goldblums finger misadventure, but visibly recoiled and sucked air in when Adrien Brody destroyed that Schiele-esque painting. I was seriously upset by that!

I can think of a few people I know who probably wouldn't mind the human violence but would be upset about the lawyer's cat being thrown out the window.

watts

Postby watts » 27 May 2014, 21:38

Yes. Veronica was angered by that scene. When he picked up it's carcass as he left she laughed at the note that accompanied it though so she must not have been too upset.
--m

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 May 2014, 22:17

watts wrote:Yes. Veronica was angered by that scene. When he picked up it's carcass as he left she laughed at the note that accompanied it though so she must not have been too upset.

I expected pillowz to be too (upset by that scene, that is). We discussed it after the movie and I told her so. She responded that it was so cartoonish that it was easy to laugh at the ridiculousness of it and not be bothered by its casual violence.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 May 2014, 22:30

toomanyhatz wrote:
watts wrote:Yes. Veronica was angered by that scene. When he picked up it's carcass as he left she laughed at the note that accompanied it though so she must not have been too upset.

I expected pillowz to be too (upset by that scene, that is). We discussed it after the movie and I told her so. She responded that it was so cartoonish that it was easy to laugh at the ridiculousness of it and not be bothered by its casual violence.

Yeah I was a bit shell shocked.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 30 May 2014, 00:36

I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyeballs than suffer another quirky whimsical minute of his movies.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 May 2014, 07:38

I'm a big fan of whimsy. It's much underrated.
king of the divan

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 30 May 2014, 16:01

VRZ Robotz wrote:I'm not really passionate one way or another about Anderson, but this might be my favorite if his films this far. Just the right material for his style.

It's my favorite of his since Rushmore and Bottle Rocket.

I like pretty much everything he's done, though Life Aquatic and Darjeeling are easily my least favorite.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

F.o.W

Postby F.o.W » 01 Jun 2014, 21:04

DVD on pre-order. Saw it for the fourth time, last week, and am convinced it is a thing of beauty. I see different little bits to marvel at every time. The way Fiennes delivered this line "You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it." almost had me in tears.

watts

Postby watts » 05 Jun 2014, 21:44

:D It's great isn't it?
--m

F.o.W

Postby F.o.W » 06 Jun 2014, 13:58

Saw The Darjeeling Limited yesterday. Oh dear.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Jul 2014, 12:52

We watched this at the weekend. I loved it. I love the whimsical but slightly twisted style of it. I also loved the special effects, which were utterly charming, as it was so clear that they were models - took me back to various films etc of my childhood.

I thought Ralph Fiennes was superb - I've never really engaged with him much as an actor before ( In Bruges being the exception). The sets, the scenery, that wonderful feeling of Central Europe. It's such fun, so silly. Just ace.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Burt Kocain

Postby Burt Kocain » 24 Jul 2014, 12:47

If ever there was a movie I wished had a face so I could slap it, it's this one. Yeeuch.
YOUR AD HERE - reach thousands of gullible customers through exploiting this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Reasonable rates - PM me for details.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 24 Jul 2014, 20:07

Burt Kocain wrote:If ever there was a movie I wished had a face so I could slap it, it's this one. Yeeuch.

No. That distinction is given to this pile of festering dingo's kidneys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_Pray_Love

Burt Kocain

Postby Burt Kocain » 25 Jul 2014, 08:38

Phil T wrote:
Burt Kocain wrote:If ever there was a movie I wished had a face so I could slap it, it's this one. Yeeuch.

No. That distinction is given to this pile of festering dingo's kidneys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_Pray_Love

No. This is your own "worst film ever" nom, and a worthy one. But I think if I'd meant Eat Pray Love, I wouldn't have added my comment to a Grand Budapest Hotel thread.
YOUR AD HERE - reach thousands of gullible customers through exploiting this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Reasonable rates - PM me for details.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 27 Jul 2014, 17:17

Excellent. Spell binding from beginning to end.

algroth

Postby algroth » 29 Jul 2014, 03:42

It is just great. I admit I was never a big fan of Wes Anderson, but in these last two films he has really found the material and substance to go along with his style. Very touching, funny, warm, visually exquisite film.

Return to “Screenadelica”