BCB 100 - The Jam

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Beno

Postby Beno » 07 Jul 2006, 23:56

The Giraffe wrote:
Beno wrote:I'm going to be a dissenting voice to this I love in. To be fair I only know them through greatest hits comps and All Mod Cons but for me, whilst they are good, they just aren't that special.

The Kinks do the '"stories about English life" thing much better and plenty of bands are better at injecting punk/new wave energy. Maybe the combination of the two is what is so highly rated but I'm not totally convinced.

Looking at similar acts I'd say that Elvis Costello was a far better songwriter, in fact far better all round.

you know, he never grabbed me by the balls like the jam did. he's a clever songwriter, like a latter-day cole porter or sammy cahn, but for me he rarely spoke to me.

there was something about weller that just connected. listen to "that's entertainment" or read the post i did about "town called malice" to see what i mean. both are probably observational writers (or were back in the day) but the young weller seemed like he was looking at it from the inside.

I wasn't around at the time for either of them in a record buying sense so possibly see things from a different perspective. I actually love 'That's Entrtainment' the best thing they did by far, and whilst The Jam had more of an edge, Costello tops them on both a heartfelt level, 'Alison', and on a compositional level, with the mini-masterpiece 'Beyond Belief', which for me gives him the prize.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Jul 2006, 23:59

Certainly in the 'dull', 'worthy' and 'earnest' stakes, Costello is head and shoulders above Weller.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 08 Jul 2006, 00:03

The Penk wrote:I've never really liked the Jam, which is weird, because I just realised I actually like all the songs I've heard, eg the singles. My favourite one of which is That's Entertainment.
I should probably give them a proper listen at some point.

They're okay, but they're no Husker Du.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 08 Jul 2006, 00:08

Album - This is the Modern World

Song - Down At the Tube Station At Midnight
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jul 2006, 00:16

Classic Prof wrote:Certainly in the 'dull', 'worthy' and 'earnest' stakes, Costello is head and shoulders above Weller.

Well yes exactly.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 08 Jul 2006, 00:18

Jeff K wrote:Album - This is the Modern World

Song - Down At the Tube Station At Midnight

I'm heartened that someone has this as their fav album (not trying to be condescending as I am a fuckwit and an ignorant one at that), I'm going to give it some more listens til I damn well like it a bit more. 8-)
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Jul 2006, 00:44

I always liked This Is the Modern World the best too, for some reason. Probably because it seemed to display the most Who-like tendencies: "I Need You" (same title as a Who song [and a Beatles song]) is very harmonic and Anglophilic), there are some filler songs that still sweat ("London Traffic", "Don't Tell Them You're Sane"), there's a rocked-up R&B cover ("In the Midnight Hour"), the Foxton jump on the back is fantastic and great to look at while you're listening to the album, and in general there is more of a Townshend-anthem approach ("Standards" and "This Is the Modern World" trying to be like "My Generation"), rather than the observational style Weller later adopted (which probably came more from Ray Davies). In general, I think I gravitate toward transition albums, like this one and A Quick One. Plus, "I Need You" and "Tonight at Noon" are two of my very favorite Jam tracks.

Album: This Is the Modern World.
Song: "Away from the Numbers" ... oh yes, still powerful.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 08 Jul 2006, 01:05

Favorite album: Sound Affects

Favorite song: "I've Changed My Address" (from the first four notes, it makes me want to bounce around the room, slamming into shit. I'm healing nicely, thank you.)
Last edited by king feeb on 08 Jul 2006, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 08 Jul 2006, 03:51

Album- Sound Affects

Song- Art School. Not Wellers most polished or erudite moment but like Feeb said above, it make me wanna jump around the room.
He tries.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jul 2006, 10:45

The Giraffe wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Song - Dreams of Children. It and Going Underground- another great song- is their best single by a large margin.

that's just silly.

Dreams Of Children would be my choice as well.
Album: All Mod Cons.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 08 Jul 2006, 10:49

I'm not sure why 'Dreams of Children' seems to be quite a hated Jam song, I love it me...when i first got 'Very Best Of' which has just the singles and some of the b-sides I was surprised when I checked out which songs were singles and which b-sides...i think it's as good as most of the singles. So is 'A-Bomb in Wardour Street'.

Jock

Postby Jock » 08 Jul 2006, 10:52

Album: All Mod Cons

Song: Too many to choose from 8-)

One of the best live bands ive seen

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 08 Jul 2006, 11:04

For me, The Jam were the greatest British singles group after The Beatles.

Album: Snap! (or 'Sound Affects', if you like).

Song: So many to choose from, but I'm going for what is one of my favourite songs ever:

Liza Radley.
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jul 2006, 11:07

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:I'm not sure why 'Dreams of Children' seems to be quite a hated Jam song, I love it me...when i first got 'Very Best Of' which has just the singles and some of the b-sides I was surprised when I checked out which songs were singles and which b-sides...i think it's as good as most of the singles. So is 'A-Bomb in Wardour Street'.

I don't think anyone's said they've hated Dreams Of Children have they? The Jam understood the single brilliantly. Not only, as you say, did the B sides contain some of their best tunes, but it was also where they would experiment offering tantalising glimpses into their future direction. Dreams Of Children came across as rather oblique and mysterious with a clear psychedelic tinge. This seemed a distinct departure from the usual "tell it as it is" social realism of The Jam. Likewise Tales From The Riverbank seemd very different offering a pastoralism that he's since pursued, rather patchilly at times it must be said, in his solo work.

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 08 Jul 2006, 11:30

Anyway....The Style Council.

Album: Cafe Bleu.

Single: Speak Like A Child. Just one of the most uplifting, fun-on-a-summer's day songs ever.
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jul 2006, 11:49

Scally Mcgrew wrote:
Single: Speak Like A Child. Just one of the most uplifting, fun-on-a-summer's day songs ever.

Absolutely. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be swept away by its sheer joyous infection.

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 08 Jul 2006, 15:10

The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Scally Mcgrew wrote:

Absolutely. You'd have to have a heart of stone not to be swept away by its sheer joyous infection.

Its fucking rubbish of course. Poncey soul-lite done by dullards.

Anyway I couldn't say I liked a Jam lp all the way through so I won't put one forward, they were a great singles band though and I'll go for A Bomb In Wardour Street.

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 08 Jul 2006, 16:15

The Giraffe wrote:
Jumper K wrote:
The Unique Modernist! wrote:
Scally Mcgrew wrote:

Its fucking rubbish of course. Poncey soul-lite done by dullards.

don't be daft, it's great.

What the fuck do you know about music cloth ears?
The Style Council were and never will be any good. Laughable maybe, to be pitied definitely. Dreadful, every goddam thing. Oh, Mick Talbot should be shot on sight, shooting is obviously a waste of a bullet as far as Weller is concerned.

Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 08 Jul 2006, 16:19

The Style Council are astonishingly bad compared with the Jam. To this day I actually find it hard to believe that the same man wrote songs for the two bands. It almost seems deliberate. :?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jul 2006, 16:25

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:The Style Council are astonishingly bad compared with the Jam. To this day I actually find it hard to believe that the same man wrote songs for the two bands. It almost seems deliberate. :?

And I find it astonishing they are so easily dismissed, did people really expect him to keep singing angry rock songs for the rest of his career? Of course they were infuriatingly patchy and they badly lost their way, but they did record some great stuff and some of the songwriting is up there with Weller's best.

Return to “BCB 100”