YouTube handling changed.

General site news. Details of forthcoming outages and so on.
JQW

YouTube handling changed.

Postby JQW » 31 Jan 2015, 20:44

I've just updated the way YouTube tags are handled on this site. The tags themselves are used exactly the same way as before, but now they present a different player. The main change should be better support on tablet devices.

If anyone has a problem playing these clips let me know.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

JQW

Re: YouTube handling changed.

Postby JQW » 02 Feb 2015, 10:00

The new handling should now use HTML5 to render video instead of Flash, as long as the browser itself can handle it. This should severely improve performances on threads featuring multiple embedded videos on a single page.

I've not been able to test this on every platform and browser combination, so there may be the odd instance where video playback doesn't work at all.

The only issue is that I have to explicitly define the player dimensions in the tag code, which spoils the display somewhat on low resolution devices such as phones.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Feb 2015, 23:41

The difference I notice is that now the player is in the middle of the screen, rather than against the left margin. Not a big deal at all, but is this adjustable?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JQW

Postby JQW » 11 Feb 2015, 00:32

The HTML it creates includes a "center" tag. I can't think of any reason as to why that tag is needed, so I'll remove it shortly.

JQW

Postby JQW » 12 Feb 2015, 14:07

I've removed the "center" tag, which now aligns the video to the left. It should also improve display on some smaller mobile devices.

Return to “Site News”