The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Apr 2019, 12:47

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:I do wonder, though, he's got a decent squad, and coming in raising spirits after the misery of Mourinho may have given him a boost with the squad. But before he started, all the pundits were talking of a root and branch reform of United, directors of football, a long term vision and strategy. Has that need gone?

Apparently not.

Yet there is still no talk of a Director Of Football... it seems Woodward is unwilling to relinquish that particular part of his portfolio even though he has absolutely no qualifications for the role. The money side of transfers - yes. The personnel side of transfers - absolutely not. And when you look at the horrendous amount of money that Man U have wasted in the past few years in the transfer market.... you really think the owners ought to be asking why as well.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Apr 2019, 20:37

Actually there IS talk of Edwin VDS coming in as Director of Football.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Apr 2019, 05:35

Lord Rother wrote:Actually there IS talk of Edwin VDS coming in as Director of Football.

Sounds like double dutch to me.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 May 2019, 09:48

Good grief they are utter shit.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 May 2019, 16:35

One of the ironies of the incredible Ferguson era is how little legacy it has left. There's been precious little to build on. In a way they've become victims of their own success because they were so busy enjoying the success when it was there that they thought little of long term planning to ensure the success would continue into the future. It's a common failing, not just in football but in life generally. Success can lead to complacency.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 May 2019, 17:03

As proved by your performance in the Preludin cup :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 May 2019, 09:21

:evil:

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 May 2019, 13:04

The Modernist wrote:One of the ironies of the incredible Ferguson era is how little legacy it has left. There's been precious little to build on. In a way they've become victims of their own success because they were so busy enjoying the success when it was there that they thought little of long term planning to ensure the success would continue into the future. It's a common failing, not just in football but in life generally. Success can lead to complacency.

Perhaps the main thing would have been to effectively cut Ferguson's reign short long before he retired - he was so busy making sure that no footballer was bigger than the club, but clearly the senior management let him be bigger than the club, and I guess it's sort of understandable why. Apart from that, they've clearly let money be no issue, while still graduating a fair few players from the academy.

Everything that has happened at Utd over the last 5 years was pretty predictable - but I'm not convinced that different courses would have led to different outcomes. Maybe/probably there was complacency, but I also think these things go in cycles unless you are in terrible leagues like Spain or Scotland. Ultimately they finished 2nd last year and in historical terms they are still in a comparatively successful period (compare their performance now versus post-Busby). Clearly not what they were expecting post-Ferguson, but nor should any club expect to have that level of success at any given time.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 08 May 2019, 11:06

It is similar to what happened to Liverpool after Hillsborough.

I think football is different to then, as United are clearly a financial giant and always will be, but they are now having to compete in a Top 6 whereas their ascendancy in the nineties was helped by being by far the biggest club in the country, with only Arsenal seriously challenging them until Abramovich came along.

United need a quality coach pure and simple. OGS is not that person either and I don't think he ever will be. Good coaches see good results and improvement fairly quickly, whereas United seem to be where they were under Mourinho.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 May 2019, 13:20

Toby wrote:
United need a quality coach pure and simple.

I don't think so. The club culture seems to have gone to pot.

They people who own it have no understanding of football and the man they've have hired to run the club, Woodward, doesn't have much more.
While the family take their enormous salaries, they're very happy to have a man who knows how to build 'partnerships' etc. running the show, while the team is ignored and the infrastructure (stadium and facilities) left to rot, with little or no investment.
They've spent money on players but the wrong ones; the players left from the glory days are too old and the new ones don't seem to fit in.
Man U is a club living on memories of its past. Unless they pay attention to what actually underpins their whole business it's going to continue to decline and then suddenly crash.
The Glazers never spent a penny on buying the club; they just borrowed to pay for the purchase and then transferred the debt onto the club. They are still one of the most popular clubs in the world but while others win trophies and they don't, they'll lose fans and then they'll lose sponsors. Without that, there'll be no money for anything. It'll be very hard to sell the club with all that debt so the Glazers will presumably walk away and leave the club to die as soon as it's not making money for them.
Bugger off.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 12 May 2019, 17:52

They need a coach, todays result was very very sweet to a pub full of cardiff fans who saw what Ole did to their club.

They would have got a post-Mourinho bounce by just not having Mourinho or they could have gone the harder route of acknowledging what maurinho said about the team ~(and others said about the structure) but thought they could get by with just replacing him with a cheerleader. Personally I hope they get a pre-season under Ole and a panic appointment in January and then repeat that over and over but surely someone there sees whats happening

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 May 2019, 18:00

Gary Neville's comment as they flashed the scores during the City game - "Is that Man U losing at home to Cardiff? No..."- was priceless.

They've really fucked up in appointing Ole. They didn't need to and now they're stuck with him. And now they're talking about appointing a Director Of Football and committing the cardinal sin of asking the newly appointed manager who he wants in that role. As if that's the right way to gain stability!
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 May 2019, 22:04

I have to agree.

There was no reason to jump the gun.

I feel they have to give him a chance to build his own squad but it’s going to cost them a bomb and I have never believed he had the experience, charisma, strength of character to push to club forward.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 May 2019, 06:06

He's also aged ten years in ten weeks.

And this is the honeymoon period! :lol:
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jun 2019, 16:09

Pogba puts himself on the market...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48652521

I am thinking of this: To have a new challenge somewhere else," Pogba said.

For me, I have been for three years in Manchester and have been doing great; some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. Like everywhere else.

"After this season and everything that happened this season, with my season being my best season as well... I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge.

Deluded.

:roll:
Cocaine

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 21 Jun 2019, 07:16

I wonder how Fergie would deal with the latest embarrassing episode of 16 year old, sorry 26 year old, Lingard?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Aug 2019, 17:54

Quite a game today. Bloody hell!
Nice to see Sir Alex out and about, though
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 26 Aug 2019, 07:56

It's hard to see how Mata doesn't get a game whilst the totally ineffectual Lingard plays every game. Baffling.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 08 Jan 2020, 20:14

Just when I think that we can't possibly play any worse, they come up trumps and surprise me. Last night against City first half we were as bad as I can remember ( and I remember the relegation team of the 70's). Dire and dispiriting, we're so poor these days it's almost funny.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Jan 2020, 04:44

Tomahawk Kid wrote:Just when I think that we can't possibly play any worse, they come up trumps and surprise me. Last night against City first half we were as bad as I can remember ( and I remember the relegation team of the 70's). Dire and dispiriting, we're so poor these days it's almost funny.

Every time I watch Utd I always wonder how the hell Liverpool only managed a draw against this shower.

Return to “Sporting Life”