Rory at the open

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Brickyard Jack

Rory at the open

Postby Brickyard Jack » 19 Jul 2019, 20:15

A sensational 65 after yesterday's disaster shows tremendous character and was fantastic entertainment..

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Rory at the open

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jul 2019, 21:40

Can’t put 4 rounds together any more.

Doubt he’ll win another Major.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Jul 2019, 21:51

Meh. They said the same thing about Tiger.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jul 2019, 06:09

He is developing a bit of a name for blowing just the one round in Major's - but when he blows it, he blows it big. Take a look back at the last four years or so.

The 8 on the opening hole on Thursday was inexplicably poor - to take an iron to play safe on a fairway that really can't be missed, and then dump it out of bounds, was poor. To then compound that by playing your pitch to the green into an unplayable lie - that's beyond careless. On a course he knows better than anyone (he still holds the course record 61, set when he was 16 years old).

I'm afraid Rory, despite all the talent, is beginning to play a bit 'soft'. I'm really not sure it means as much to him as it once used to. And there have been some strange career decisions around the pursuit of finance - the switching of club manufacturer on two occasions in the past few years particularly. The motivation for those decisions have to be in question.

An amazing talent, and a very nice guy by all accounts. I hope he can fully realise his potential but, at present, he's the man that finds a way to blow it in Major's.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Jul 2019, 11:08

Wouldn’t it be great if Lee Westwood (and his girlfriend on caddy duties) could win this?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jul 2019, 18:00

I do love this course. It punishes poor shots but is fair and has proper risk/reward holes. Most importantly, being able to bang the ball three million miles gives you absolutely no advantage whatsoever.
Cocaine

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 22 Jul 2019, 07:41

I think Tommy Fleetwood looks a potential Major winner.Two runner up's shows he's got the ability, just needs to go up a notch, and who knows.

I was also willing Lee Westwood to do something special, as I have done every year. Over the years he's been in great positions to win a major loads of times, but when it got down to the real business on day 4 his putting always let him down. A real shame (see also Colin Mongomery).

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jul 2019, 14:18

Tomahawk Kid wrote:I think Tommy Fleetwood looks a potential Major winner.Two runner up's shows he's got the ability, just needs to go up a notch, and who knows.

I was also willing Lee Westwood to do something special, as I have done every year. Over the years he's been in great positions to win a major loads of times, but when it got down to the real business on day 4 his putting always let him down. A real shame (see also Colin Mongomery).

Fleetwood suffers from the same syndrome as McIlroy - he always seems to throw in one poor round. Yesterday was tough but had he gone and put pressure on Lowry when he had closed the gap to 3 behind, who knows how he would have reacted. But he drifted further away and never got going.
He certainly has the talent to win Majors - I honestly just wonder if he has the nerve to cope (but he is still young and that may come to him).

Westwood is a great link player - always has been. It's no surprise that his best Major tournaments have come in the US Open and The Open - both tend to place importance on course management, which is his forte. But he cannot putt under the most extreme pressure and yesterday, as you say, it came back to haunt him. But a fine effort nonetheless.

Koepka didn't hole a putt all week - he was terrible on the greens. He still managed fourth, which is incredible considering just how poorly he putted. He is still very much the man for the Majors- first, second twice and fourth this year and four wins from the last ten majors. That's astonishing consistency.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”