VAR

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Darkness_Fish

Re: VAR

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Dec 2019, 21:57

Lord Rother wrote:It isn’t going to go away and there is no point us arguing over the technology, but what they have to do is give a margin for error in favour of the attacking team by making the defender’s line significantly thicker (towards the goal line).

I'm not sure I agree. The technology clearly isn't there at the moment, and this drawing of lines from arbitrary positions on a fuzzy still image of an approximation of the moment a ball was kicked, from a camera many yards away at a strange angle - it's bollocks. If they're going to make any calls, it should be the oft-mentioned "clear and obvious", as soon as it reverts to some numpty pretending they can tell if someone's knee is ahead of someone's eye-lash via right-angles - thats just pretending they have properly accurate technology, and they should stop it.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2019, 22:25

Why do you say “the technology clearly isn’t there”?

These aren’t lines drawn by human beings.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2019, 22:28

Thinking about it again I assume you mean the technology that is there isn’t good enough.

It’s bloody good but they need to introduce a margin for error as it’s not good enough to give such marginal decisions as if it is perfect.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Dec 2019, 17:57

It's here again...

https://twitter.com/MollyShep/status/12 ... 4920805377

This is exactly what I mean. Those lines are applied by humans, and could just as easily have been the other way around, if the operator so chose. It's pseudo-science, a pretend factual call, and it is definitely bollocks. Just do away with it. It interrupts the play, seemingly makes more bad calls than good, and is much worse than the scenario of putting up with the occasional bad call by a ref or linesman. Overturning perfectly good goals is mindless officiousness. Throw it away.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Dec 2019, 06:07

Lord Rother wrote:It isn’t going to go away and there is no point us arguing over the technology, but what they have to do is give a margin for error in favour of the attacking team by making the defender’s line significantly thicker (towards the goal line).

It's being touted as being perfect. Why would they then introduce a 'margin for error' if, as is claimed, it's scientifically applied?

Really - the application of it is, as Darkness Fish says, absolutely ridiculous at present. It has some good points but, particularly in terms of the offside rule, it is absolutely fucking hopeless. And it is being presented as factual when, as is evident, it is just another persons interpretation of the one given on the pitch.

It's reducing the game to an absolute farce. And we aren't even halfway through the season yet...just wait until a final day relegation issue is decided by one of these "his knee was in front of his shoulder" hairline decisions. Let's see if the crowd believe that's "clear and obvious"? It's going to cause riots.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 30 Dec 2019, 09:38

Saying it is hopeless on offside decisions is just wrong. I think the assistant refs do a brilliant job, far better than ever before, but VAR is better at it - there can be no rational argument about that.

I’ve personally not seen anyone tout VAR as 100% perfect, it obviously isn’t, which is why a thicker defender’s line to allow for margin of error would be sensible.

Last day relegation issues would previously have been decided by the more imperfect human eye being applied which is certainly less accurate than a VAR still frame, no matter the margin for error.

I’m not being argumentative here, but VAR isn’t going away so tweaking the way in which it is applied is the only sensible course to pursue.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 30 Dec 2019, 11:07

Lord Rother wrote:
I’ve personally not seen anyone tout VAR as 100% perfect, it obviously isn’t, which is why a thicker defender’s line to allow for margin of error would be sensible.

This would be the sensible thing and could be implemented immediately.
Ruling goals offside because some part of the body is fractionally, and for a split second, ahead of the last defender is just absurd and completely runs counter to the spirit of the game.
I have been a proponent of VAr but I hadn't counted on the people making the decisions being so stupid.

Return to “Sporting Life”