Ryder Cup

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Brickyard Jack

Ryder Cup

Postby Brickyard Jack » 29 Sep 2018, 17:37

Some quite stunning sport going on in the Ryder Cup - 2 brilliant back and forth days with dozens of exceptional moments. I am not a big fan of stroke play tournaments, but the combination of match play and the team aspect produces fantastic competition.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Sep 2018, 21:07

I'm beginning to think they may have to re-think the format for the Ryder Cup because - as it currently stands- I cannot see an American team winning a match in Europe in my lifetime. They have a chance at home but so do Europe because so many of the Europeans play the American tour (I think ten of this team do) and know those courses (and their type) almost as well as the Americans... but so few of the US players play in Europe on any basis (besides The Open and the Ryder Cup) it is like they are playing a different sport - the way the courses are set up completely floors them, time and again.

I honestly thought the US would win this week - man for man, they're better. But some of the 'best players in the world' have scrambled around this course like weekend hackers. Or worse. Johnson, Fowler, Mickelson, Reed.... they've all been impossibly poor. And not many of the rest have exactly covered themselves in glory. They seem unable to grasp the very simple fact that you have to hit fairways to have any chance of winning - and, even if they have, they're still choosing irons to stay safe... and still ending up in the rough. It's inexplicable really.

That having been said - I see the US with three definite winners tomorrow (Thomas, Woods & Spieth) and Europe the same (Fleetwood, Poulter & Molinari). That would need the Americans to win 5 of the other 6 to retain their title - and that may get a little bit closer than appears likely on first appraisal.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Sep 2018, 22:43

I don’t really agree that a format change is required, I think they need to adapt their game.

They seem to do alright in The Open and that is often links golf which is probably the most alien condition for them to play in so they are capable of doing it. There’s often a touch of arrogance about them which possibly leads to a tiny bit of complacency. And that ain’t healthy in the Ryder Cup environment.

Still, it’s certainly not over yet. I would hope in the Team meeting this evening Bjørn & Co did everything they could to keep them “in the moment” (as sports psychologists love to say) and ensure that when they wake up in the morning they are totally focused.

Don’t change anything, stay in the routines and get the fucking job done.

Please.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Sep 2018, 23:28

I wasn't really suggesting they should change the format -just that it's the only way I see a US team wninning in Europe again. It's 25 years now (if they dont stage a comeback tomorrow). That's more than just a blip - that's history.

But I do agree with you - the first day you can kind of understand them playing the course wrong. But to go out and do exactly the same on day two... that seems arrogant or stupid. Or both.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Sep 2018, 00:42

Diamond Dog wrote:I see the US with three definite winners tomorrow (Thomas, Woods & Spieth) and Europe the same (Fleetwood, Poulter & Molinari). That would need the Americans to win 5 of the other 6 to retain their title - and that may get a little bit closer than appears likely on first appraisal.

I don't see anything definite on any of the ties. The Americans may have been underwhelming in the four-ball but individually these ties can go either way. Fleetwood has been punching above his weight and both Spieth and Woods have had their wobbly moments. I can see the US winning the day but not make up a four point deficit.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Sep 2018, 10:59

never/ever wrote:Fleetwood has been punching above his weight

Well, he is currently ranked 12th in the world......
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Sep 2018, 11:14

Diamond Dog wrote:

Coming in as a rookie I mean.... Didn't know he had risen to 12 on the back of his Dubai-win.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Sep 2018, 13:31

never/ever wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Coming in as a rookie I mean.... Didn't know he had risen to 12 on the back of his Dubai-win.

He's playing like 120th at present, mind!
Cocaine

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 30 Sep 2018, 16:05

Nice touch from Mickelson to concede early.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Sep 2018, 16:29

Positive Passion wrote:Nice touch from Mickelson to concede early.

It pretty much summed his whole week -in fact, his whole Ryder Cup career- up in one sorry shot.
Cocaine

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 30 Sep 2018, 17:27

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm beginning to think they may have to re-think the format for the Ryder Cup because - as it currently stands- I cannot see an American team winning a match in Europe in my lifetime. They have a chance at home but so do Europe because so many of the Europeans play the American tour (I think ten of this team do) and know those courses (and their type) almost as well as the Americans... but so few of the US players play in Europe on any basis (besides The Open and the Ryder Cup) it is like they are playing a different sport - the way the courses are set up completely floors them, time and again.

As mentioned, they seem to cope with the links courses okay though, which suggests it is down to attitude. The Captain should be able to reconcile the course set-up.I know that 3 or 4 of the US team came over and reccied the course in July, what surprises me is that Furyk didnt bring them all over for a 3-4 day session. They are great players, but USPGA courses are set up to a different set of parameters, and they cant just rock up in Europe and wonder why they are getting outplayed.How much do they want it? Enough to really prepare differently next time?
Oh, and find some fighting match players. Woods and Mickelson are the finest of their generation by themselves, but they are hopeless in a team scenario.
Bless the weather.......Image

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Oct 2018, 07:44

andymacandy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I'm beginning to think they may have to re-think the format for the Ryder Cup because - as it currently stands- I cannot see an American team winning a match in Europe in my lifetime. They have a chance at home but so do Europe because so many of the Europeans play the American tour (I think ten of this team do) and know those courses (and their type) almost as well as the Americans... but so few of the US players play in Europe on any basis (besides The Open and the Ryder Cup) it is like they are playing a different sport - the way the courses are set up completely floors them, time and again.

As mentioned, they seem to cope with the links courses okay though, which suggests it is down to attitude. The Captain should be able to reconcile the course set-up.I know that 3 or 4 of the US team came over and reccied the course in July, what surprises me is that Furyk didnt bring them all over for a 3-4 day session. They are great players, but USPGA courses are set up to a different set of parameters, and they cant just rock up in Europe and wonder why they are getting outplayed.How much do they want it? Enough to really prepare differently next time?
Oh, and find some fighting match players. Woods and Mickelson are the finest of their generation by themselves, but they are hopeless in a team scenario.

That's an interesting point Andy.... the French Open (played at the end of June this year) attracted only one of the US team over... that being Justin Thomas, who was by quite some distance their best player (his match with Rory was an absolute classic opener yesterday).
The thing I really struggled to understand was ythey played the two practice days - and did really well on the first mornings fourballs. Yet from Friday afternoon they played like the course was a new entity and entirely unexpected delights were in store for them if they didn't hit the fairways. What was really shocking was when they were taking irons off of the tee to play safe - and still kept hitting the rough. That's really inexplicable - it would suggest that, maybe, they just didn't care as much to stay focused and disciplined.Which, if correct, is unacceptable really and I can only guess how that would have gone down in the US press too.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 01 Oct 2018, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 01 Oct 2018, 09:24

Didn't Woosnam never win a match at the Ryder Cup? And he played multiple times!
Could very well be something mental.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Oct 2018, 11:20

Patrick Reed is the first to break ranks :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/45703605

On Furyk leaving him out of the foursomes on Friday and Saturday, Reed said: "For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don't think it's smart to sit me twice."

I think a bit more of this in unquestionably on the way. :D
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2018, 22:27

I read somewhere that the European team had played over 200 competitive rounds on the course. It makes a difference, of course it does but if the American’s can’t be arsed to scope the course properly then that’s their problem. You maximise home advantage in the Ryder cup, that’s just what you do. The narrow fairways and slower greens suit the Europeans in the same way the wider fairways and faster greens suit the Americans over there (the next Ryder cup course will suit their long driving game in particular and deliberately so). That’s less of an advantage to the Americans because our players play over there but it is what it is and it’s up to the Americans to find a way.

Were they Americans arrogant and complacent? Did they just not care enough to make the effort? What about this “task force”?

The Europeans have a psychological hold on them, especially over here. The US made a bright start but as soon as Europe applied pressure they didn’t have an answer and apart from a brief period during the singles there was never any real threat of an American victory.

The same old questions will be raised about team spirit and the underdog mentality. The latter suits the Europeans and their spirit is unbelievable. Does it mean as much to the Americans? Some maybe but clearly not others. It seems to define the Europeans more than the Americans and I’m not sure what the Americans can do to change that, especially on foreign soil. Some of the Europeans know this is their shot at immortality.

The likes of Mickelson and Woods should be ditched for good. Pair of cunts
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Oct 2018, 22:34

For me I think Woods was really trying, but this was just one tournament too many for him (after his long awaited victory last week). But Mickelson gave the impression throughout that he really couldn't give a fuck and he's never been a team player in the first place. I always thought he was a very iffy capatain's pick, but he far surpassed that. Maybe he was just along for the ride, probably in expectation of him getting the Captain's role in 2022.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 18:18

Reports that Koepka and Johnson had to be separated from fighting in the European dressing room after the game... denied by Koepka, I must add.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Oct 2018, 17:40

Diamond Dog wrote:For me I think Woods was really trying, but this was just one tournament too many for him (after his long awaited victory last week). But Mickelson gave the impression throughout that he really couldn't give a fuck and he's never been a team player in the first place. I always thought he was a very iffy capatain's pick, but he far surpassed that. Maybe he was just along for the ride, probably in expectation of him getting the Captain's role in 2022.

Well you had better just set that course up for Phil to win, otherwise he ain't bringing his clubs!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/1 ... r-failure/

Phil Mickelson failed to record a single point for the United States in their lopsided Ryder Cup defeat to Europe last weekend and the American says he no longer has any interest in playing courses that feature "brutal rough".

In his 12th Ryder Cup appearance, Mickelson was restricted to only two matches at Le Golf National in Paris. He partnered Bryson DeChambeau to a foursome's defeat on the opening day and was not seen again until the Sunday singles, where he lost to British Open champion Francesco Molinari.

It was the first time he failed to contribute even a half-point to the United States' cause as the visitors relinquished the Cup after a 17 1/2 to 10 1/2 defeat.

Mickelson was clearly not a fan of the course.

“I’m 48, I’m not going to play tournaments with rough like that anymore. It’s a waste of my time,” Mickelson told reporters on Thursday at the Safeway Open in Napa, California.

"I’m going to play courses that are playable, and I can play aggressive, attacking, make lots of birdies type of golf I like to play.

"The fairways were 14 to 16 yards wide. The fact is they had brutal rough, almost unplayable and that’s not the way I play," he added. "I don’t play like that.”

What an arrogant arsehole.
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Oct 2018, 17:52

SUCH a cock
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 06 Oct 2018, 07:00

Diamond Dog wrote:Reports that Koepka and Johnson had to be separated from fighting in the European dressing room after the game... denied by Koepka, I must add.

Why were they in there?

Return to “Sporting Life”