The Boxing

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
joels344

Re: The Boxing

Postby joels344 » 25 Aug 2017, 18:02

This match is a cheap warm-up for the actual boxing match on September 16th.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Aug 2017, 18:45

The Great Defector wrote:12 round boring fight, Mayweather on points.

When Mayweather fought Canelo, Canelo had no idea where Mayweather was at the end. Canelo is good and Mayweather had him in circles.

There's no way this thing goes more than three rounds.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Aug 2017, 19:23

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:12 round boring fight, Mayweather on points.

When Mayweather fought Canelo, Canelo had no idea where Mayweather was at the end. Canelo is good and Mayweather had him in circles.

There's no way this thing goes more than three rounds.

All you taked about there was may weather not being there to hit, nothing about him hitting. That's with it will probably be a 12 round snooze fest.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Aug 2017, 20:07

Did you ever see the Ricky Hatton fight? Don;t worry, Mayweather can dig.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Aug 2017, 21:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Did you ever see the Ricky Hatton fight? Don;t worry, Mayweather can dig.

He beat Canelo and Pacquiao. He had to hit something some time to win. You can't win a fight, even if it goes the distance, if you didn't outscore guys.

Let Mark know when you have a chance.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Aug 2017, 00:25

sloopjohnc wrote:
He beat Canelo and Pacquiao. He had to hit something some time to win. You can't win a fight, even if it goes the distance, if you didn't outscore guys.

Both of which he won by points not by KO.We're talking about KO's, you said mcgregor wouldn't last 4 rounds, i disagreed. You brought up those two fighters for some reason as example as to why he's gonna get knocked out, yet again mayweather beat them on points.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2017, 05:31

Of his 49 professional wins, 26 have been by knockout or TKO.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2017, 08:18

The only things that can stop Mayweather are inactivity and old father time.

Two years is a long time to be out of the ring, but at 40 it's a very long time. That would be a slight area of concern for me. Boxers can go over the top almost overnight - I don't think this will be the case here but it is the one thing that gives McGregor a shot.

It's the only thing though.

If this was two years ago, with Mayweather still in boxing shape, this is a no contest. He may well be the greatest defensive boxer I've ever seen - and is generally accepted as such by much loftier and informed people than my good self. He's frequently been voted the best pound for pound boxer of the past 25 or so years. He very rarely gets hit, his hand speed is phenomenal and he can dig. Oh, and he has a chin of granite too. Put that package together and there is no reason whatsoever to believe a non-boxer has a cat in hells chance of beating him. None.

But it's two years on so we do just have to be aware that if he is a little ring rusty and doesn't quite have the stamina of his peak years, McGregor has that one chance of tagging him and finishing him off. It's a remote possibility, but it does exist.

Still, I see Mayweather winning this inside six - and it may go that long because he isn't a boxer who takes risks and may well take his time to suss out what his opponent brings to the show. Conversely if it goes beyond that, then every round improves McGregor's chances.

But, seriously, Mayweather in six.
Cocaine

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 Aug 2017, 11:20

I guess if Mayweather comes into the ring with his right arm tied behind his back and a patch over his left eye the plucky irish fella could land a serious blow or two.I don't think it will be one for the history books.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2017, 11:24

:lol:
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 26 Aug 2017, 14:12

The Great Defector wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Both of which he won by points not by KO.We're talking about KO's, you said mcgregor wouldn't last 4 rounds, i disagreed. You brought up those two fighters for some reason as example as to why he's gonna get knocked out, yet again mayweather beat them on points.

nobody on ignore in action.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Aug 2017, 01:08

Diamond Dog wrote:The only things that can stop Mayweather are inactivity and old father time.

Two years is a long time to be out of the ring, but at 40 it's a very long time. That would be a slight area of concern for me. Boxers can go over the top almost overnight - I don't think this will be the case here but it is the one thing that gives McGregor a shot.

It's the only thing though.

The only thing.

Ordinarily, I would say a loss for Mayweather would mean an even richer rematch, but I think there's too much pride for Mayweather.

They're both jerks though.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Aug 2017, 04:55

It's almost 9 pm and the fight was postponed because PPV capacity was overwhelmed. Not enough pipes for everyone ordering it.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Aug 2017, 11:06

I see the official attendance for the 20,000 seater stadium was 14,623.

Greed, pure greed.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Aug 2017, 16:12

Diamond Dog wrote:I see the official attendance for the 20,000 seater stadium was 14,623.

Greed, pure greed.

It was. Kudos to McGregor for making it interesting. After fight, Teddy Atlas said he had it at nine rounds.

People got their money's worth, anyway.

In a post-fight interview, Mayweather said he tried going to a sports book and laying a bet on himself, but they refused. He said he had one of is entourage lay a six figure bet on him in his place.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Aug 2017, 12:08

McGregor did very well I thought, arguably an early stoppage but I don't think it would have changed the result of who the winner is going to be. I still think boxing should be embarrassed that it lasted to 10 rounds. The way people were talking, Mayweather should have this finished within 4. People can talk tactics etc but if the best boxer in the world takes 10 rounds to dispatch of a novice, then that doesn't look good to me. If the table were reversed, McGregor within 2 minutes of the 1st round, easy.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 12:11

Shakes head.... a 40 year old ex champ who has boxed twice now in four years.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 22:07

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/the-wee ... ose-fight/

And having seen the fight today, this is accurate.

It took ten rounds because Mayweather isn't half the fighter he once was.

Credit to McGregor but, let's be clear, it wasn't a contest in reality.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Aug 2017, 02:16

Diamond Dog wrote:http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/the-weekend-review-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-was-not-a-close-fight/

Mayweather also mentioned how awkward a fighter McGregor was and that threw him off.

In any sport, you expect good players to do certain things. When they don't act in an expected manner, it throws you off. I know it does in hoops when someone plays herky jerky or uses the wrong pivot foot or what have you. It's not technically correct and you're expecting someone who knows what they're doing.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 09:13

Diamond Dog wrote:http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/the-weekend-review-floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-was-not-a-close-fight/

Thanks for that. Some of the shit people have come out with just goes to show the near total ignorance of some people.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Sporting Life”