Premiership 2017/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

Re: Premiership 2017/18

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Apr 2018, 13:23

Toby wrote:The right decision. I hope he wins the Europa League as his last act at the club.

Yeah that would be fitting. I hope the players put in the extra effort to try and make it happen.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

borofan

Postby borofan » 20 Apr 2018, 17:31

Diamond Dog wrote:
borofan wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Okay, who was that?

Can't remember, but I always thought he was better than Cole.

That good that you can't remember his name.

Right.

Gael Clichy you sarky twat. Far better than the vastly overrated Cashley.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Apr 2018, 18:43

borofan wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
borofan wrote:Can't remember, but I always thought he was better than Cole.

That good that you can't remember his name.

Right.

Gael Clichy you sarky twat. Far better than the vastly overrated Cashley.

You truly believe that Clichy was a far better left back than Cole?

As I said before - Right.

I wonder how many others agree with you? lol
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Apr 2018, 20:51

Clichy better than Cole? Hilarious.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Apr 2018, 21:07

Clichy had great pace and stamina, but he didn't read the game all that well and always had a mistake in him. Cole was on a completely different level to him.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Apr 2018, 21:12

Maybe the nom-de-plume gives us the answer.
Cocaine

borofan

Postby borofan » 21 Apr 2018, 15:45

The Modernist wrote:Clichy had great pace and stamina, but he didn't read the game all that well and always had a mistake in him. Cole was on a completely different level to him.

A much lower one.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Apr 2018, 21:02

Big season in 18/19 for Spurs I think. There has to be a point when Spurs have to win something - if not for Pochettino, but for the players who are there. The league is probably out of their reach. How long before Kane, Alli and in particular Eriksen have their heads turned?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 21 Apr 2018, 23:34

Poch to Arsenal?

That would be fun.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Apr 2018, 00:29

Wouldn't be surprised, I really do think levy is gonna fuck up a good thing with spurs with his tightness. There's a possible Southampton about spurs.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Apr 2018, 11:21

I think that might be pushing it a bit!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Apr 2018, 13:57

After the capitulation against Man U in the FA Cup Semi-final yesterday, and the press conference where Poch referred on three different occasions to 'me or someone else' taking the club forward, I think Spurs have teached their zenith. They desperately needed the victory yesterday and played the whole of the second half like a disjointed, unfamilar group of disparate individuals - with absolutely no spark, or fire, or invention.

I think it's clear that they lack that certain 'killer instinct' when they have the opponent down, in the big game. They smashed Man U for the first twenty minutes yesterday - but only scored one and then allowed them back into the game to equalise before half time, and folded in the second half . And their major players (Kane, Ericksen, Alli etc) went AWOL pretty much. Dembele had an awful game too. In midfield, they got bossed. And they never really looked like wrestling back control either. It's happened too often for it be just be coincidence.

I didn't like Poch's pre-match assertion that this wasn't a 'must win' game either. I have no idea when he thinks they become 'must win' matches, but semi-finals of the FA Cup seem a good place to start. You're not winning anything else, you'd have to completely capitulate to finish outside the top four - what else do you think should take priority? A worrying state-of-mind, for me.

Sadly I think Spurs either start to compete financially with the other teams in that bracket or they're going to wither on the vine- I'm sure there will be big name/money departures before next season, and I'm not sure what they have to sell to potential incoming talent, that others don't have more of.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Apr 2018, 14:04

Lord Rother wrote:I think that might be pushing it a bit!

I have no doubt in my mind if levy could make any profit on any of their star players, they'd be gone. I'm not even talking ridiculous money offers either. Imagine if we hadn't taken about 11 players from Southampton, and they managed to keep the rest over the years, they would be a safe bet for top 5 or 6 at least. I still think there's a good chance of that happening to spurs if they're not careful.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Apr 2018, 14:23

Have I stumbled on the Guardian btl comments here?
Spurs have played the whole season away from home, but still cruised the top four, are likely to finish top three for the third year in the row, could finish second (although I'm not counting on it) and have lost just three matches this year, to the Champions elect of Italy and the two Manc clubs, have three players in the PFA team of the year, etc. and have the best squad of players in my lifetime (including the double team of 1961), in which they have won three European trophies, one league, 6 FA cups and a few League cups (4, is it?). Next season they move into the second largest club stadium in the country to go with a great academy, etc. And yes they do have a wage ceiling, but they also have highly incentivised contracts with their top players, with lots of bonuses written in.
Does everyone really think that Daniel Levy and ENIC are doing all this just to sell out to the first billionaire who comes down Tottenham High Road? And would there be such a conviction if his name was Dave Lewis and spurs didn't have a reputation as a 'Jewish club'?
And if they do sell, who would buy? Another friend of Putin, Middle East rogue state or some American div? I just can't see it.
Sure the Premier League years have been less than stellar, and I long ago resigned myself to the idea that they will never be champions again in my lifetime, but they've gone from also rans to contenders in the last five years or so.
Last edited by Rayge on 22 Apr 2018, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Apr 2018, 14:27

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Apr 2018, 14:36

"That leads to other, deeper-rooted questions. Does Pochettino need a trophy? Of course not. Trophies are the point of sport, at least at a professional level, and there would be something very sad if silverware became less significant than league position, if the battle were transferred entirely from the pitch to the balance sheet. But at the same time there is something absurd about those who decry the progress made by Tottenham under Pochettino just because it has not yet been adorned by a trophy."

So does he need a trophy? No (apparently)
Are trophies the point of sport? Yes (apparently)
Would it be sad if silverware was less important than league position? Yes again (apparently)
Would it be sad if money was more important than winning trophies? Yes again (apparently).

And that is justification for Spurs not winning a trophy, apparently.

That's some fucked up logic going on there.
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Apr 2018, 14:57

Diamond Dog wrote:So does he need a trophy? No (apparently)
Are trophies the point of sport? Yes (apparently)
Would it be sad if silverware was less important than league position? Yes again (apparently)
Would it be sad if money was more important than winning trophies? Yes again (apparently).

And that is justification for Spurs not winning a trophy, apparently.

That's some fucked up logic going on there.

maybe so. I don't do logic, especially where football is concerned. Logic is for those who lack imagination.

My view: no to all those questions.
The point of sport is enjoyment and entertainment, trophies are a bureaucratic detail, money is utterly irrelevant to my view of football and support, and league position has always been important, even before non-champions were ushered into the 'Champions League'
Spurs were always known as a cup side. I enjoyed all of the thirteen cup wins I've witnessed, but they were never the point of it all, and the glow does not last long.
What's important to me is that the team I support (my home team, not one I picked to bring me glory) play decent football at as high a level as they manage, which they are currently doing consistently while they only managed it in burst since the late 1980s .They missed out on the European Cup/Champions League for 50 fucking years, and now they've qualified for the third time in a row (and deprived the Woolwich of their entitled slot and helped to bring down their fabled manager in the process in the last two). How is that not a golden, good to be alive period for a lifetime fan?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Apr 2018, 15:02

It's not.

But the way you talk as though Spurs would only ever sack a manager who is playing poor, unimaginative, football - because that's all that matters.

Is that the case then? Have Spurs only disposed of unimaginative managers - have fans never bayed for the blood of imaginative managers?

Ossie Ardiles anyone?
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Apr 2018, 16:09

I think Ray's got a point to be honest. They're certainly the best Spurs side I've seen since 1987 (when they should've won the league). That's a long period to be talking about so really as a Spurs fan you should just enjoy it for what it is.

However, and I don't think Ray will like this comparison, they remind me of the post 'invincibles' side of 2007 ( the one with Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky etc.). That side played some lovely football and were serious title contenders, but in the end we didn't have the squad resources to push it a bit further and win trophies. One by one the star players were tempted away for supposedly greener pastures and things fell apart. I do think there's a real danger that something similar could happen to Spurs.

It's difficult to know what more Spurs can do to progress. I think it'll probably need some kind of inspirational Salah type signing in the summer, but those kind of transformative signings happen once a decade, so it's going to be hard to pull off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Apr 2018, 16:16

..but you could throw 50 million at Palace for Wilf Zaha. He would bring something really dynamic to the side.

Return to “Sporting Life”