The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
fange
100% fangetastic

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby fange » 21 Jan 2018, 03:11

That's cool!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Mar 2018, 03:01

I'm a bit glum at the moment, as i'm experiencing some soreness and tightness around the foot and ankles, that's making it hard to regularly run or play sports. I'm not sure why - i've been laying off the running a bit in Jan. and Feb., for various reasons like being sick and traveling quite a bit, so i don't think it's over-working. I could be wrong though, i'm not a bloody doctor. Maybe it's the weather for all i know. :(
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Mar 2018, 04:21

Have you considered seeing a Physio, Ange? 6 weeks of physio treatment in January last year cured my niggling tendon problems in my left leg. I haven't had a problem since despite some periods of intense training. If resting for a few weeks doesn't solve the problem it could be a more serious issue than just muscle strain. Perhaps you're just getting old ;)

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Mar 2018, 04:32

I've been taking a break from racing and fast paced hikes and gone back to good old technical hiking with lots of bushwhacking and very steep, rocky ascents (Dog's Tooth Ridge, North face of Sharp Peak and south face of Kowloon Peak for those that know these unofficial off-limit routes). It's been great fun with some fabulous scenery. I should post a few pics when I get chance.

Weighing up my options for future races later in the year with Lantau 70km, Moontrekker (30 or 43km, not sure which yet), and 100km Oxfam Trailwalker all possibilities. I missed out on the registration for Trans-Lantau this coming weekend but will go to support a friend doing the 100km. I wanted to do the 50km but it fills up so quickly I didn't get a spot.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Mar 2018, 05:04

trans-chigley express wrote:Have you considered seeing a Physio, Ange? 6 weeks of physio treatment in January last year cured my niggling tendon problems in my left leg. I haven't had a problem since despite some periods of intense training. If resting for a few weeks doesn't solve the problem it could be a more serious issue than just muscle strain. Perhaps you're just getting old ;)

:(

Yeah, i may have to go get some physio or massage if it doesn't pass in a few weeks.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Mar 2018, 02:48

Well, the ankle is very slowly getting better, but there's still a bit of soreness when i point my left toes, so i'm gonna wait a few more days, maybe a week, before i go running again. It's killing me coz i've put on bloody 2kgs just in the last 2 weeks, despite doing some swimming and a little walking in the meantime. Fuck. :(
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 15 Apr 2018, 03:39

Finally a nice spring day! Greenwood Lake Part of the Appalachian Trail, NY State over numerous Puddingstone rock outcrops. Also did my hiking kindness as two NYC hikers were thinking it was a loop trail and was now over 4 miles from their car and it was after 4. Funny as they only ran into me because I tried to make it a loop trail but ran into a rhododendron field. Anyway we were only a little over a mile from my car. Gave them a ride back to their car. 8.2 miles

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Apr 2018, 02:06

Hey, that looks lovely!

Am slowly starting to run again. My ankles are sill very ginger, but it's good to getting into it again.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Apr 2018, 05:22

Hightea wrote:Finally a nice spring day! Greenwood Lake Part of the Appalachian Trail, NY State over numerous Puddingstone rock outcrops. Also did my hiking kindness as two NYC hikers were thinking it was a loop trail and was now over 4 miles from their car and it was after 4. Funny as they only ran into me because I tried to make it a loop trail but ran into a rhododendron field. Anyway we were only a little over a mile from my car. Gave them a ride back to their car. 8.2 miles

Very kind of you :) Looks lovely there. It never ceases to amaze me how unprepared people can be on the trail. Even in HK it's posiible to get into serious trouble in the country parks and people frequently do.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Apr 2018, 16:26

fange wrote:Well, the ankle is very slowly getting better, but there's still a bit of soreness when i point my left toes, so i'm gonna wait a few more days, maybe a week, before i go running again. It's killing me coz i've put on bloody 2kgs just in the last 2 weeks, despite doing some swimming and a little walking in the meantime. Fuck. :(

Swimming isn't really a great exercise for weight loss - it's more a toning and/or muscle building exercise. And you really gotta put the mileage in if you want to get weight loss.

What about a stationary bike? I bought something I really like that was very reasonable and was very good according to reviews. The mfgr. is Marcy. I bought a $135 version, but they also have better, more expensive models.

I've been running my two or three miles on the treadmill and I'm down to an 8 minute mile. I don't know if I'll ever get down to a seven again, but that's fine. I've also decided to play hoops again now that I can run the length of the court and back. We shall see. . .

I have to wear compression sleeves up to my knees and I'm starting to look like those elderly joggers you see in the park who are all geared up.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Apr 2018, 03:25

Yep, been doing a bit of stationery bike recently too, but it's just not the same.

Slowly getting better though. Lightly jogged about 3-4 kms yesterday (and i mean lightly) and only had some slight twinging pain near the end.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Apr 2018, 17:36

Another nice Saturday hike on the Appalachian Trail. Starting hiking the Connecticut part of the AT. This part of the trail led me to a side spur trail to the Housatonic Overview which was beautiful. You never know about these spur trails but this one was worth it.

Next up a walk along the Housatonic and the mountains that follow it.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 May 2018, 05:02

I'm finally feeling good enough in the ankles to put together 15-20 minute blocks of jogging again. So happy!

The weather in HK now is at its May hottest, so really sweating up a storm - will hopefully burn off some of those calories i've been wanting to shift for months now.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 May 2018, 13:22

fange wrote:
The weather in HK now is at its May hottest, so really sweating up a storm

Yep, it's steaming hot now and Sunday's hike on Lantau island had an umbrella theme as my pics highlight. It's not for rain but to shelter from the scorching sun. An umbrella is very much a Hong Kong style of hiking, I rarely see it elsewhere.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 May 2018, 14:46

Fab pics, Ray!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 23 May 2018, 20:09

trans-chigley express wrote:
fange wrote:
The weather in HK now is at its May hottest, so really sweating up a storm

Yep, it's steaming hot now and Sunday's hike on Lantau island had an umbrella theme as my pics highlight. It's not for rain but to shelter from the scorching sun. An umbrella is very much a Hong Kong style of hiking, I rarely see it elsewhere.

nice sots and looks like a nice hike. like the umbrella idea might try it on a summer hike here. Tend to not hike mid-summer but usually sweat one out.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 26 May 2018, 19:02

I'm up to a daily 5K in 31:15 now, aim to get it done at 10km/hr eventually.
I think that will be it for my little legs though.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 27 May 2018, 04:51

Copehead wrote:I'm up to a daily 5K in 31:15 now, aim to get it done at 10km/hr eventually.

Has the running helped you lose weight? You’re looking in much better shape on the recent photo posted in nextdoorland. 10km/hr is a decent pace

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 27 May 2018, 04:53

Managed 20km and 1500m elevation in 3hrs last night. Steaming hot weather though even in the evening so was sweating buckets and got a twinge of cramp towards the end

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 27 May 2018, 16:01

trans-chigley express wrote:
Copehead wrote:I'm up to a daily 5K in 31:15 now, aim to get it done at 10km/hr eventually.

Has the running helped you lose weight? You’re looking in much better shape on the recent photo posted in nextdoorland. 10km/hr is a decent pace

Not per se. The running has got more enjoyable as I have lost weight as I can go faster and further, I used to run at 8.8-8.9 km/hr and now I am around 9.5-9.6km/hr. But I used to run 3-4 days a week when I was 100kg +, but now I run just about every day and at weekends when I am home I go for longer cross country runs. Losing weight happened through taking control of my calorie intake in a very detailed way.

I knew I could never lose weight on one of those drink 2 shakes a day sort of diets as I like food too much, so I still cook and make food I like but I calorie count it. It is a faff and a bity tricky to do at sea as it is all estimation but I lose weight at around 1lb a week and have been doing that for many months now.

The weight loss is slowing down as I approach a normal weight for my height and I am upping the daily exercise time for the next 2-3 months to 1-2 hours/day to push me over that hump and then I will go into weight maintenance mode, up the calories a bit and cut the exercise a bit.

I should also say the 10km/hr will be on a treadmill, I doubt I could get near that cross country.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “Sporting Life”