The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Apr 2017, 04:09

God, we're all getting so fucking old! :D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Apr 2017, 11:41

All right, I'm getting out of bed in a minute
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 15 Apr 2017, 20:22

Had a day out in the Lakes today and walked (slogged ) up Great Gable. Here's a picture looking back at it from Green Gable where we went next.

Nikki Gradual wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2017, 16:54

sloopjohnc wrote:For about a month and a half, my calf muscles felt like they were going to tear at any amount of running. Felt pretty good this week and I've managed to do three days of two miles each. I can tell how bad a shape I'm in because I use to be a 7 minute mile runner and can barely get through two miles in under 20 minutes now.

I figured out what was bugging my calves. On Friday, my son was coming over to my place so had to do a quick exercise so went to my apartment complex's gym. It's setting the treadmill pace too quick that's making me push off with my calves. When I slowed it down, felt much better.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 27 Apr 2017, 22:36

sloopjohnc wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:For about a month and a half, my calf muscles felt like they were going to tear at any amount of running. Felt pretty good this week and I've managed to do three days of two miles each. I can tell how bad a shape I'm in because I use to be a 7 minute mile runner and can barely get through two miles in under 20 minutes now.

I figured out what was bugging my calves. On Friday, my son was coming over to my place so had to do a quick exercise so went to my apartment complex's gym. It's setting the treadmill pace too quick that's making me push off with my calves. When I slowed it down, felt much better.

The human body is so weird.

So I ran my first marathon.

I loved the event...and how people reacted to it has been a bit startling.
It's been entirely worthwhile for how much I really enjoyed and am proud of how much money I raised (And I really think the London Marathon is an incredible human achievement that so many people together can inspire people to donate so much to causes they believe in) as well as how many people have told me I've inspired them to take up running or exercise.

I guess they think if EYE can do it...Anyone can. Which is a bit true.

HOWEVER. I'm a bit dissapointed...or maybe that's not the word. But, see.... I wasn't aiming for any particular time. I had a very even pace, and I finished! But still, I don't know if I expected more, but I'm almost worried that I didn't challenge myself.
It's now almost a week after and I'm not even sore. I ran pretty slowly, a lot because I had only ever run 30kms before and didn't know how I would feel. I found the last 12 kms VERY hard ...at the time. I was also aware that I have another marathon to do in 5 weeks.

But I can't stop thinking that I should have run faster and pushed myself more... or maybe trained better?

I can see this is how they get people to run all the marathons.
(I have no idea how people could do just one a year though, if this is something people did....how could you wait a YEAR just to see if you were any better than the last time??)
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Apr 2017, 23:48

sloopjohnc wrote:

Tried pushing it again and my calves have been messed up for two weeks and I keep tweaking them. It's weird to have run every day for 20 years, take a couple years off, and be an old man.

Back to the stationary bike for 45 minutes a night.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Apr 2017, 23:52

hippopotamus wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

The human body is so weird.

So I ran my first marathon.

I loved the event...and how people reacted to it has been a bit startling.
It's been entirely worthwhile for how much I really enjoyed and am proud of how much money I raised (And I really think the London Marathon is an incredible human achievement that so many people together can inspire people to donate so much to causes they believe in) as well as how many people have told me I've inspired them to take up running or exercise.

I guess they think if EYE can do it...Anyone can. Which is a bit true.

HOWEVER. I'm a bit dissapointed...or maybe that's not the word. But, see.... I wasn't aiming for any particular time. I had a very even pace, and I finished! But still, I don't know if I expected more, but I'm almost worried that I didn't challenge myself.
It's now almost a week after and I'm not even sore. I ran pretty slowly, a lot because I had only ever run 30kms before and didn't know how I would feel. I found the last 12 kms VERY hard ...at the time. I was also aware that I have another marathon to do in 5 weeks.

But I can't stop thinking that I should have run faster and pushed myself more... or maybe trained better?

I can see this is how they get people to run all the marathons.
(I have no idea how people could do just one a year though, if this is something people did....how could you wait a YEAR just to see if you were any better than the last time??)

A) It's only your first one

B) Does this want you to continue running as exercise?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 Apr 2017, 03:56

Excellent!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 28 Apr 2017, 08:46

A) It's only your first one

B) Does this want you to continue running as exercise?[

A) yes. And maybe the next one next month will knock sense into me

B) yes. I think as long as I still have particular ambitions to fulfil I'll keep going. I quite like that the couple of hours running to Loch Lomand from where I live seems completely doable and I scoff at any version of my future self that thinks 20 miles is too far.

I just don't know how I'll fare without a marathon on my horizon.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jun 2017, 09:31

Been running a fair bit recently, despite the HK summer having kicked in with a vengeance during the past week, and been quite enjoying it now that the pain in my right big toe has gone.

It was really aching like crazy about 3-4 weeks ago; a combination of an old but ongoing football injury and an attack of the gout (something that i haven't had for years), but good news is i'm back to normal and doing my 5-6 kms most days again. Sweating up a storm, so good for weight-loss, but really need to replenish the salts and fluids afterwards.

Now that June is here, going to step it up even more to take advantage of my downtime at school. Happy days!

Hope all you runners and walkers are doing well too!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 06 Jun 2017, 10:25

I've started doing Parkrun which I find a great morale booster as there are always people slower than you whom you can pick off on the way round. I'm using it as my "speedwork" (euphemism) but still need to get my mileage up.
Glad the toe is better, fange - the same thing happened to my spouse and he was advised not to eat liver!
Nikki Gradual wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Jun 2017, 01:04

Belle Lettre wrote:Glad the toe is better, fange - the same thing happened to my spouse and he was advised not to eat liver!

Well, that advice is definitely NOT necessary with me. :D

Good luck with the training!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jun 2017, 05:27

I've successfully registered for the overnight Moontrekker race in October, no mean feat as it's fills up in five minutes after registration opens.

I was less successful with my Oxfam Trailwalker lottery application which failed but I still may be able to get a place on a team.

Meanwhile I have 50km of fast-paced hiking this weekend with stages 3 to 8 of the Maclehose Trail spread over two days. With a hot weather warning predicted all weekend it's going to be brutal out there as it's largely exposed so I'm freezing bottles and bladders of water several days in advance to get it really frozen solid. I'll need 5 litres each day so a heavy pack too. Phew!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Jun 2017, 06:05

Whoa, good luck Ray!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 08 Jun 2017, 08:47

Yes, don't overheat!
Nikki Gradual wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Sep 2017, 05:53

I registered late for the last weekend's Lantau Vertical race when some spare spots came up. This is a short but intense 7km race up Lantau Peak (HK's second highest mountain). The short final section ascends steeply up 500m and is a killer on the thighs. My time was a lousy 1hr 44min but that was in brutal heat and humidity. I had a training run the previous weekend in much cooler conditions and achieved 90 mins so it's disappointing really. I just couldn't get my pace going up that final section and could feel cramp starting to kick in.

It's another 4km down the mountain but that doesn't count as part of the race. I hiked another 10km in the afternoon for good measure haha.

From now on it's endurance training only with some loooong hikes lined up over the coming weekends.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Sep 2017, 06:10

mate, well done. The weather that day was atrocious; you did amazingly well!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 19 Sep 2017, 12:41

Very well done!
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Sep 2017, 06:54

great shots and running guys!

Sorry been awhile
slowly finishing NY Appalachian trail down to two day hikes
here is a few from the past 6 months

Plus a few trips this summer
Vermont
Did this hike and found a field of lady slippers
then a hike up to this ridge

Also did my yearly trip up to Maine
This year I tried out the Rangeley section where we did this hike around this lake, loved it so much stayed for sunset.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 30 Sep 2017, 12:01

Looks fantastic!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Sporting Life”