NBA - 2014/15 Season.

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: NBA - 2014/15 Season.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Nov 2018, 10:05

Diamond Dog wrote:Raptors are doing okay......

:D
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Nov 2018, 16:34

Diamond Dog wrote:

They're interesting. They had upped their win total the last three seasons and had the best record in the eastern division. And then they promptly fired their coach, who had helped them do that. They had kinda fizzled in the playoffs, though.

They made a big trade, trading their leading scorer and all-star, Demar Derozan, for Kawhi Leonard, the best player on the San Antonio Spurs, who only played in a handful of games because of a playoff injury the season before. And they added some new guys.

I don't love their style of play, but with Leonard, arguably the best two-way player in the game, they're playing great and should be the cream of the East, even with rising teams like Boston and Philly.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 09 Nov 2018, 13:23

So Sloop I assume you saw the game last night. What did you make of the Bucks in general? And is Green the most important Duvs player?
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Nov 2018, 16:20

WG Kaspar wrote:So Sloop I assume you saw the game last night. What did you make of the Bucks in general? And is Green the most important Duvs player?

I was impressed. When folks talk about teams in the East, someone will always say, "What about the Bucks?" And people will say they only have one all-star. The Bucks' defensive coach, Sean Sweeney, had a great game plan, but the players have to execute, and they did. I was also impressed because I watched the Bucks play Portland the other night and they were off. Last night, they weren't.

And yes, Green is the most important Warrior. Not the best, but the most important. He brings the ball up the court like a charging rhino and directs the D, providing valuable help. You could see how much they missed him and when they panned to him on the bench, you could tell he was pissed off.

Great game by the Bucks and a royal ass kicking. Even when the Warriors made a run, they were just trading baskets with Milwaukee.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Nov 2018, 18:03

Philly Trades Covington and Saric, plus a nobody and draft choice, to the Timberwolves for Butler.

Covington and Saric are heavy rotation guys for the Sixers, and while Butler is great, we shall see. Good for Minnesota. Towns gets some help with Saric and Covington is steady player and plays good D.

New GM, Elton Brand, needed to shake things up though. The Sixers have been inconsistent this season.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 10 Nov 2018, 18:18

Wow, that's a bold move. They still haven't addressed lack of shooting and the depth is even thinner, but the first unit is now extremely strong. As you said we shall see.
I have to say though Butler looks like an entitled diva to me, great player but too much whining. Hope the Wolves pick up now and a push, the West looks more open than I thought.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Nov 2018, 20:54

WG Kaspar wrote:Wow, that's a bold move. They still haven't addressed lack of shooting and the depth is even thinner, but the first unit is now extremely strong. As you said we shall see.

I have to say though Butler looks like an entitled diva to me, great player but too much whining. Hope the Wolves pick up now and a push, the West looks more open than I thought.

Makes the Sixers a lot smaller. Also, now we'll see what Wiggins can do. Rose is playing lot better and Saric and Covington really even out their roster.

I still don't know what the Sixers are going to do with Fultz. Sincerely, His shot is still ugly as hell.

Butler just wants to get paid. That's what it comes down too. Minnesota kept telling him they would and they never did.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Nov 2018, 08:46

So the Bucks come out of the road trip 2-2 beating the Warriors and the Nuggets, the 2 games I expected them to lose on and Giannis doesn't look quite right. He looks a little lost in the system at the moment and tries to force things at times to much. I hope he figures it out soon.
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Nov 2018, 16:52

WG Kaspar wrote:So the Bucks come out of the road trip 2-2 beating the Warriors and the Nuggets, the 2 games I expected them to lose on and Giannis doesn't look quite right. He looks a little lost in the system at the moment and tries to force things at times to much. I hope he figures it out soon.

Lost, how?

He's the only guy on the Bucks who can really create his own offense.

Without Curry, the Warriors tend to have the same trouble if Draymond can't get something out of a break on a rebound. He and Iguodala have the same philosophy: full speed ahead and see if the defense breaks down.

The Warriors had a chance to to win in regulation last night, but instead of passing upcourt to KD, Draymond chose to drive it into four guys. You could tell KD was pissed.

My sixth grade coach did a demonstration for us to teach us that lesson. He had me throw it to another guy from the baseline to free throw. He had another guy try to dribble from the baseline to the free throw. The pass easily beat it. It was a good example of how things get to one place to another on the court faster on a pass.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2018, 16:49

Post Draymond/KD tiff, they sure laid an egg against the Rockets. First time since 2013, no starter hit a three pointer.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 22 Nov 2018, 10:16

Ok Sloop, what the hell is going on with Warriors right now?
I run out of talent

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 22 Nov 2018, 10:27

I'll throw my two cents in and say its simply Steph/Dray not being in, and they're clearly (as recent evidence dictates) the two most important Warriors, with an added thinning of the bench experience. Where we would normally have had vets we have relatively younger players who aren't used to their added workloads yet.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 28 Nov 2018, 04:10

Watched the Lakers get drilled by the Nuggets and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing LeBron in that uniform.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2018, 21:01

Warriors and Raptors play Thurs. Could be finals preview. Curry may be back too. He's had monster games in Toronto and his wife is from there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2018, 21:02

$P.Muff$ wrote:Watched the Lakers get drilled by the Nuggets and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing LeBron in that uniform.

They sure did get drilled. The Lakers shot terribly and the Nuggets outrebounded by around 20.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Nov 2018, 18:59

Diamond Dog wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Nov 2018, 19:26

Diamond Dog wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

:lol: :lol:

They have surprised me a little. Chaney, their former coach, was good, but they've built a very deep roster. The DeRozan for Kawhi deal was great.

On their loss to the Warriors last night. It was a great game, despite the Warriors losing. These shots by Durant were unbelievable. Leonard, the guy guarding him on the baseline shot has an 8' 6" standing reach.

But the Warriors were missing three all-stars: Curry, Green, and wait for it. . . DeMarcus Cousins. If Cousins resembles anywhere near the player he was, the Warriors can dust off the shelf for the next trophy.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Dec 2018, 17:00

Steph Curry is a phenomenon. Last night at the Hawks game, the broadcaster made a good point. The hometown adults were wearing Hawks gear, but the kids all wear Curry jerseys. It's his game, obviously, but it's also his personality and physique. He's not a man-god like Lebron, but is something approachable.

Plus he's a good guy. Last week, a girl fan wrote him a letter telling him that she can't find Under Armour Currys in girl sizes. In response, he immediately told Under Armour to start producing girl versions of his shoes. And then he invited the little girl to a game on Int'l Women's Day and promised her a pair of his new Currys. He also holds a basketball camp for girls. You could say he's just cultivating his "brand," but it goes beyond that.

Here's a short documentary what he means to the kids and folks in Oakland. I live 10-15 miles from Oakland and parts of it are pretty desolate. Heck, Hayward, the next town up from me, has very desolate parts, with lots of public housing. They are tough towns with tough people. But Oakland is tougher - Oakland's adopted Curry and Curry's adopted Oakland.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 06 Dec 2018, 00:06

The shop I buy my jerseys from has Baron Davis popping in for a meet and greet tomorrow night. If it wasn't a 10 hour drive away I'd go say hi.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 17:15

The Red Nosed Heifer wrote:The shop I buy my jerseys from has Baron Davis popping in for a meet and greet tomorrow night. If it wasn't a 10 hour drive away I'd go say hi.

That's too bad. He was the man of those "We Believe" Warriors team. His dunk over Kirilenko was legendary.

A good friend of mine coached a high school team that made it to California state finals. He saw Davis play in high school and said he could've gone straight to the pros. I think he played one or two seasons at UCLA.

Return to “Sporting Life”