Why do England underperform at international football?

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Modernist

Re: Why do England underperform at international football?

Postby The Modernist » 23 Aug 2013, 12:18

That 94 side also had such luminaries as Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton and Taylor as manager! That's the reason they didn't qualify.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Aug 2013, 12:23

Diamond Dog wrote:
It seems to me the arguement is - England have always been shit, therefore they haven't under performed. But there are a whole rafter of criteria (population, success of club sides, expectation, history to name but a few) that would suggest we have under performed consistently. Aren't we the only World Cup winners never to appear in at least one other World Cup Final (or even European Championship final)? That, by itself, is a goodindicator of under achievement surely?

Not shit, but just a very good, decent, solid side - but that pretty much every team that have finished above them in World Cups and other tournaments have either been marginally or significantly better than them. I don't recall any tournament where I've felt "Oh that is absolutely unfair" that England didn't finish higher.

The fact that they won one World Cup doesn't mean much - by itself it could be an aberration (like Greece in 2004, or Denmark in 1992 or whatever), but in the context of their general performance it puts them in that higher (but not highest) tier. It means that once in a while, every few generations or so, England will possibly/probably put together a team strong enough to reach the final - and once there, anything can happen (as it did in '66).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Aug 2013, 12:24

The G Experience! wrote:That 94 side also had such luminaries as Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton and Taylor as manager! That's the reason they didn't qualify.

which again, by law of averages, reinforces the perception that England will always produce some fairly top-quality players, but generally speaking not enough to have a great team.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2013, 12:27

I really need to watch that Graham Taylor documentary again.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Aug 2013, 12:29

Ooh, do I not like that.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Aug 2013, 12:33

Why has it never been shown on telly since?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Aug 2013, 12:42

It's on youtube - "An Impossible Job"

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Aug 2013, 12:44

Bleep wrote:It's on youtube - "An Impossible Knob"

;)
Cocaine

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Aug 2013, 13:19

Watching the Taylor doc tells you everything you need to know about the tactical myopia infecting the English game then. Everything is about knock downs and balls in the box.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 23 Aug 2013, 13:48

And in this part they spend the first part of the match moaning that the ball isn't being knocked long early enough.
Would someone like Phil Neal ever find himself in a senior coaching position in any other major footballing country? I doubt it.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Sep 2013, 10:33

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24281033

Patrick Vieira says coaching is the problem for England youngsters

Patrick Vieira says England's failures at major tournaments are down to coaching standards rather than foreign talent playing in the Premier League.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Sep 2013, 12:28

As I said a long time ago :

Diamond Dog wrote:The biggest single reason is the inability to coach youngsters to achieve a reasonable level of control of the football.

That is actually it - if you cannot control the ball instantly, and be its master, it controls you and how you play/interact with others around you.

Everything else on here are as a result of the above - solve this, and we would make huge progress.

And it really is as simple as that.

The coaching at primary level needs to get 100% better.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Oct 2013, 09:42

Don't know if this is the right place to put this but why not?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24425709

Harry Redknapp says that Football Association senior officials do not have the knowledge required to choose the best England manager.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 07 Oct 2013, 09:46

Harry Redknapp is a knobhead.
Fishstick selling fuck

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Oct 2013, 09:55

I'd still pick him over Hodgson.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 07 Oct 2013, 09:58

I wouldn't. Maybe he could go to Ireland.
Fishstick selling fuck

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Oct 2013, 10:05

Tapiocahead wrote:I wouldn't. Maybe he could go to Ireland.

NO FUCKING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! He wants to land over, we'll take him in a heartbeat. Unless youse go foreign after Hodgson, i really don't see who can replace him.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 07 Oct 2013, 10:14

I don't really have that much influence and I don't think it matters that much who is the England manager. As long as it's not Phil Parkinson.
Fishstick selling fuck

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Oct 2013, 10:15

I'm sure the whole of England is happy you don't have that much influence. :P :D .

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Oct 2013, 10:07

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24467371
State of the Game: Premier League now less than one third English

I found this interesting i wonder is because of all the release english players from the EPL filtering down to the lower divisions.
In the Championship, UK players accounted for 63.57% of minutes played in England's second tier in the 2007-08 season, but that figure is up by 7% to 70.5% this season,

Return to “Sporting Life”