boring.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Sports betting (not just golf...)

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jun 2015, 19:10

'skope wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:As I said...

boring.

Why don't you fuck off elsewhere, Alf Fucking Garnett?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jun 2015, 00:44

Diamond Dog wrote:As I said, it gave them new challenges they don't face every week. Maybe not once a season. But, for that reason, I liked it. Well most of it. As I previously said, some of the gradients were crazy - having to play shots 40 yards wide of the flag to get it to roll close. But I remember some US Open/PGA course that were worse....remember Shinnecock Hills about 7 years ago? Where they had to water one of the short holes (after the play had started - an absolute no no in golf) because it was absolutely impossible to get the ball on the green, no matter what shot you played?

It was a bit Mickey Mouse, and that's what I meant by modifying some slopes....and drastically improving the greens.

But I'll tell you something - that's one of the most exciting final days I've seen for quite some time. Top players all having to find unconventional ways to overcome unfamiliar challenges. I like that. So much more interesting than "Whack the ball as far as you can, get your pitching wedge out (because it makes no difference if you're on the fairway, bunker or the rough, you'll be able to reach), pitch ten yards past the flag and spin back to a yard away....and then let's let the best putter to win".... that's how (especially) the US PGA Championship has become. It's no challenge...they can play those courses with their eyes shut (and probably half a bag of clubs).

I like that they had to think.

Maybe next year they can play a miniature golf course.

That windmill's always a tough one.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jun 2015, 00:46

Diamond Dog wrote:As I said, it gave them new challenges they don't face every week. Maybe not once a season. But, for that reason, I liked it. Well most of it. As I previously said, some of the gradients were crazy - having to play shots 40 yards wide of the flag to get it to roll close. But I remember some US Open/PGA course that were worse....remember Shinnecock Hills about 7 years ago? Where they had to water one of the short holes (after the play had started - an absolute no no in golf) because it was absolutely impossible to get the ball on the green, no matter what shot you played?

It was a bit Mickey Mouse, and that's what I meant by modifying some slopes....and drastically improving the greens.

But I'll tell you something - that's one of the most exciting final days I've seen for quite some time. Top players all having to find unconventional ways to overcome unfamiliar challenges. I like that. So much more interesting than "Whack the ball as far as you can, get your pitching wedge out (because it makes no difference if you're on the fairway, bunker or the rough, you'll be able to reach), pitch ten yards past the flag and spin back to a yard away....and then let's let the best putter to win".... that's how (especially) the US PGA Championship has become. It's no challenge...they can play those courses with their eyes shut (and probably half a bag of clubs).

I like that they had to think.

One of the bad things was the galleries could never get close - they had stands very far away. Would have made the last couple holes even better.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jun 2015, 09:07

You're not really prepared to discuss this in an adult fashion, are ypou John? :D

The spectator part is very valid - the 8th (for instance) has absolutely no spectator area past the tee. Which is a shame, as it's one of the really interesting holes. Very poor design.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Jul 2015, 17:26

Already backed Oosthuizen (25/01) and Kaymer (28/1) for the Open.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 02 Jul 2015, 11:58

Diamond Dog wrote:Already backed Oosthuizen (25/01) and Kaymer (28/1) for the Open.

Tommy Fleetwood @ 80/1 (e/w, natch). Thank me later.
Just a penitent man

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 02 Jul 2015, 12:16

Tried to throw an e/w bet on the Greenbriar event this week and not one of the agencies I have access to run a market. Have to put seperate bets on win and a top 5/10/20 whatever finish. I will look to put a bet or two on the Open but I presume the same will happen again.

Ah well, if Steven Bowditch gets up at $81 this weekend I shan't be complaining.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 06 Jul 2015, 12:09

This could change the odds significantly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/33407734
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jul 2015, 13:00

Fucking hell.....that is not good.

I bet his sponsors etc are delighted.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 06 Jul 2015, 13:09

Diamond Dog wrote:Fucking hell.....that is not good.

I bet his sponsors etc are delighted.

The BBC will also be gutted - their last St Andrews Open as live broadcasters, and hopes of a home triumph have diminished somewhat.

I hope Rory's not thinking a long the lines of "well, if Tiger can win the US Open on one leg...", though.
Just a penitent man

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 10 Jul 2015, 20:48

Picked up McDowell @ 100/1 after his decent round at Gullane yesterday. He's now come in to 80/1 after another good round today. Hope he's not peaking too early...
Just a penitent man

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 14 Jul 2015, 10:29

It appears G-Mac is keeping his powder dry for this week.

I love The Open, but it's going to be a wide-open (sic) championship as it's been a pretty dreich summer, so the links aren't as hard and fast as they should be, which lets more players into it - however, Gullane wasn't blitzed by the big boys at the weekend, and the wind coming from 3 different directions over the 4 days gives me hope that St Andrews won't be totally laid bare.

I reckon this could be Dustin Johnson's week - he has a decent record in the Open, baling out left isn't an issue at St Andrews, and, if he's in with a shout standing on teh last tee, he can drive the green (that's if he gets past the trouble down the left at 17th...)

As for picks, other than G-Mac above, I liked the look of Kuchar over the weekend (55/1) and Joost Luiten started to come into form (a rather tasty 125/1). Tommy Fleetwood threatened for a while before fading on Sunday, but I like the look of his game, and 75/1 ain't to be sniffed at. As ever, I'm backing Koepka in the Majors, however I suspect this won't be his week.

As for a sneaky wee 50p e/w, Danny Lee at 150/1 has been given a good draw (if the forecast is to be believed, those teeing off on Thurs pm/Fri am have thebetter of the weather).

Was almost tempted by Tiger at 35/1, but it's still too early to trust his control and short game.
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Jul 2015, 10:04

If they put a 0 at the end of Tiger's odds, i still wouldn't back him. He has no chance, in my eyes. Indeed I think he'll be lucky to make the cut.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 15 Jul 2015, 10:37

Diamond Dog wrote:If they put a 0 at the end of Tiger's odds, i still wouldn't back him. He has no chance, in my eyes. Indeed I think he'll be lucky to make the cut.

You can get around 11/8 for Tiger to miss the cut.
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Jul 2015, 10:47

That's much more likely than 35/1 to win it.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 15 Jul 2015, 11:02

Diamond Dog wrote:That's much more likely than 35/1 to win it.

Yes.

Hence the odds. :P
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Jul 2015, 11:02

lol very good.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 16 Jul 2015, 12:49

funky_nomad wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:If they put a 0 at the end of Tiger's odds, i still wouldn't back him. He has no chance, in my eyes. Indeed I think he'll be lucky to make the cut.

You can get around 11/8 for Tiger to miss the cut.

Easy money!
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jul 2015, 20:51

Well Oosthuizen at 5 under had a good first day...and Kaymer at 1 under isn't out of it....

I also had an each way on Lowry (who shot 1 over despite a four over par 8 on the 17th) and... a little £1 each way on Retief Goosen...at 250/1....

We live in hope :)
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”