NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jan 2019, 15:15

Los Angeles Rams DB Nickell Robey-Coleman admits it...""Yes, I got there too early," he said after the game. "I was beat, and I was trying to save the touchdown." He added " I just know I got there before the ball got there. And I whacked his ass." :lol:
Classic.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Jan 2019, 18:27

Diamond Dog wrote:That has to be the very worst non interference call I've ever witnessed - the DB has his back to the ball, never turns his head (if he had, he would have realised he only had to spin 180 and he has a certain interception) and literally just blows the receiver up without ever seeing the ball. I don't know how more blatant pass interference can be - incredibly poor officiating. I think Payton and Brees showed a huge amount of restraint and respect in their post match comments - I don't know how much more painful a bad decision can be for anyone, in all honesty.

That being said, of course I'm pleased that The Rams have progressed - to come from 13-0 down in that incredibly hostile environment is some achievement. And Goff answered all of his critics last night - pretty much faultless (in the circumstances) and he had to do it all without a run game too. The D was huge as well. Greg Zuerlein though - to nail two 'game on the line' FG's was incredible - I think the 57 yard winner was good for at least 10 more, don't you? Great game, in an entirely different way from the game earlier in the season.

And then the Chiefs/Patriots drama - just astonishing. I thought the Patriots were going to destroy Kansas when they had that chance to make it 14-0 so early, after completely dominating the game up to that point. That was an inexplicably poor decision by Brady to throw that interception there, and it breathed life into Mahomes and co. For it then to pan out the way it did, with an unbelievable final quarter where the momentum switched so many times, was really something to behold. The Chiefs really do need to think about their D though - to keep playing the Cover 2 against Brady was inviting him down the field - they had to change it up at least occasionally. But can you imagine how dangerous Kansas will be next season, where a few of those 'rookie' errors by Mahomes won't be happening? They've been an absolute delight this season - it's just a shame we aren't going to get the Rams v Chiefs rematch for the Superbowl. But the Patriots - it's just phenomenal, isn't it?

It's amazing to me that you're as into American football as you are. Two questions: When you watch these games, are you listening to the same American commentators that we are, or do they broadcast the games with British commentators? And, who is your fave team?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jan 2019, 20:00

Matt Wilson wrote:It's amazing to me that you're as into American football as you are. Two questions: When you watch these games, are you listening to the same American commentators that we are, or do they broadcast the games with British commentators? And, who is your fave team?

We get the full American broadcasts - the 'delights' of Joe Buck & Troy Aikman and Tony Romo & Jim Nantz last night. The only things we don;t get are where the on the field action breaks to Jim Brown in New York, and also the half time studio shows with Phil Simms, Boomer etc. I don;t think we're missing much!

I've been following American Football since the first season on Channel 4 in the UK, when we got one live game per week - culminating in Washington Redskins beating Miami on January 30th in the Superbowl. For that reason, I'm a Washington fan - but also because the first NFL player I loved was Jon Riggins, the Running Back in Washington that year. I finally had my 'dream come true' when I finally got to see them live - oddly, in London a couple of years ago!
Cocaine

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Jan 2019, 21:15

Geez, that Superbowl was in the eighties, right? I guess you have been a fan for a long time! I'm kind of a fair weather fan I guess, we didn't have a team in LA for so long that the only games I would watch were Chargers ones. Now that we have two teams I'm much more excited about it all, and with both the Chargers and the Rams doing so well this year I'm having more fun with the NFL than I've had maybe ever.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jan 2019, 22:35

Matt Wilson wrote:Geez, that Superbowl was in the eighties, right? I guess you have been a fan for a long time! I'm kind of a fair weather fan I guess, we didn't have a team in LA for so long that the only games I would watch were Chargers ones. Now that we have two teams I'm much more excited about it all, and with both the Chargers and the Rams doing so well this year I'm having more fun with the NFL than I've had maybe ever.

1983 Matt.

I saw The Rams three times in LA back in '89 (the return of Eric Dickerson to Anaheim Stadium!) 90 & 93.... I also saw the Raiders at the Colisseum in 94 (on our honeymoon!)..... So I've seen both the Rams & the Raiders in LA before their moves to St Louis & back to Oakland!
Cocaine

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 22 Jan 2019, 02:02

Diamond Dog wrote:
I've been following American Football since the first season on Channel 4 in the UK, when we got one live game per week - culminating in Washington Redskins beating Miami on January 30th in the Superbowl. For that reason, I'm a Washington fan - but also because the first NFL player I loved was Jon Riggins, the Running Back in Washington that year. I finally had my 'dream come true' when I finally got to see them live - oddly, in London a couple of years ago!

So remember that game Riggins was a beast that game. Amazed you have been getting American Football that long.

Wow another crazy game. I expected it to comedown to who ever had it last but not like that. Typical KC found another crazy way to loose.
I had a feeling as soon as Reid decided not to try one more play that the pats would get the ball first and win. Lots of talk about changing the OT.
How about having the coin toss at the beginning of the game that way you know at the end of the game if you tie it who has the ball?

"Los Angeles Rams DB Nickell Robey-Coleman admits it...""Yes, I got there too early," he said after the game. "I was beat, and I was trying to save the touchdown." He added " I just know I got there before the ball got there. And I whacked his ass." - shows how bad this non call was.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jan 2019, 05:08

Diamond Dog wrote:

Hightea wrote:So remember that game Riggins was a beast that game. Amazed you have been getting American Football that long.

He was indeed. I love the story of how Joe Gibbs had just taken over at Washington and decided to visit Riggins, who had been holding out (for over a season, I think?), to see what the situation was. He turned up at his farm and there's Riggins with a beer in both hands and Gibbs thinking "Am I nuts?!". A week later Riggins rang Gibbs up and said "You need me" and returned to play his part in that amazing run for the Superbowl. He was decidedly eccentric Jon Riggins, but a hell of a player too.

Hightea wrote:Lots of talk about changing the OT.

And so there should be. I thought it was odd when it was last changed that they decided there must be equal possessions besides the very first one.... it's entirely illogical. "We must be seen to be fair but not for the very first possession only". Crazy. Just make it the same as the others and play the game fairly - and not have it decided by a coin toss. To see Mahomes and that offence sitting on the sidelines absolutely powerless was pretty damning.
Cocaine

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Jan 2019, 06:55

Lol, that's way cool, Pete.

You're way more into (US) football than I am then. Respect.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jan 2019, 13:51

I'm not sure the average American NFL is aware that London is selling out three/four games a season, every season - 85,000 fans per game. The sport is huge over here - and they're 'proper' fans, not people just going along because it's 'one off the bucket list' etc etc.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jan 2019, 06:16

Diamond Dog wrote:The Chiefs really do need to think about their D though - to keep playing the Cover 2 against Brady was inviting him down the field - they had to change it up at least occasionally.

From NFLcom:

Two days after his defense was unable to stop Tom Brady in overtime, Bob Sutton has been fired.

The Kansas City Chiefs announced Tuesday that the defensive coordinator was relieved of his duties

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that over the past few days, the Chiefs talked with players and coaches about Sutton, whose lack of adjustments had been a non-stop frustration.

They don't mess about in the NFL, do they?!
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 26 Jan 2019, 01:19

So Robey -Coleman gets fined $26.000 for a helmet-to-helmet shot that according to the officials at the time didn't happen....
The NFL is being consistent in being inconsistent, aren't they?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Feb 2019, 16:05

Finally the big day is here.

It's been a very quiet build up to the game - unusually so. Besides an early jibe from Robey -Coleman about Brady, there's being no trash talking and everything has been very low key and respectful.

How do I see the game going? As with most Superbowl's of recent times, it looks (on paper) to be very very tight. The odds reflect that with the spread being around 2.5 points with the Pats as slight favourites.

New England will do what they always try to do and take away the one thing the other team does best. The issue there is that's not as easy to identify now as it was earlier in the season, when Gurley was clearly their main weapon. Now you have Anderson there too. And Woods & Cooks are pretty much equal as wideouts too. So who will they focus on? I still think they'll plan specially for Gurley - especially out of the backfield and as a receiver. But they'll have a plan to switch seamlessly to someone else if Gurley doesn't play the main role (which is entirely possible). The thing is - I think Gurley and Higbee (particularly) match up well as receivers against the Pats linebackers - so he may need to have a good game.

The Pats will try to do almost exactly what they did in their last two games - run the ball and dink little passes to White & Edelman. It took the Rams a long time to solve the Kamara thing last game - in the end, they stopped it by playing Suh split on the edge, and bumping him that way. They may try to do something similar to White.

It comes down to two things for me - if the Rams don't stop possession short to White and Edelman, they'll never get off the pitch and will get worn down.
But... the Pats have to stop inside pressure from Donald & Suh (and Brockers to a lesser extent) if they want to give Brady time to get the passes away. If they don't - and No 12 gets sat on his back a few times early- the Rams will win.

I think the Rams win by four...something like 31-27. And it's 7/4 for a defensive or special teams TD, and I think that's worth a little investment too! :)
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Feb 2019, 16:56

One can never count NE out but I hope you're right Pete. I don't want to see Brady win another SB. I hope Donald gets to him many, many times.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Feb 2019, 20:00

Christ, here in Tampa I am surrounded by TONS of Patriot-fans.
Go Rams!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Feb 2019, 20:19

never/ever wrote:Christ, here in Tampa I am surrounded by TONS of Patriot-fans.
Go Rams!

Apparently the Patriots have taken over Atlanta too.

Go Rams!!
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Feb 2019, 20:25

It's probably the one day of the year where they won't get pelted with all sorts of vile stuff....

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 03 Feb 2019, 23:21

Go Rams!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Feb 2019, 01:05

Christ, that was a dull first half.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Feb 2019, 01:11

The weirdest first half of a SB I've witnessed!

The Rams surely can't play that badly for a full game can they?

The first Rams possession after the break is going to be huge.

Go Rams!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Feb 2019, 03:26

Boo fucking hiss.

Bellichick is staggering - simple as that.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”