NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2020, 23:52

I know it's rather obvious but, in the end, Mahomes is fucking magnificent.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Jan 2020, 04:15

It seems Pete is the only one calling the shots here. I hope he's right about the SB but either way it should be a good game.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Flower

Postby Flower » 30 Jan 2020, 23:16

I agree, the SB should b e a good game. Now that the Saints are out of it, well their last game is best forgotten. I'm pulling for the Chiefs myself.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 31 Jan 2020, 13:17

Go Niners. I'm a D man.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jan 2020, 20:20

Unlike the vast majority of commentators/pundits, who seem to have immersed themselves in how/whether the great 49ers D will stop the great Chiefs O... I think the game will be decided elsewhere. Put simply - Kansas will score points. I'm guessing they imagine scoring over 28 will mean they become favourites for the game. They are definitely capable of doing that but this D is a whole level up from what they've faced so far. So even with a good level of possession, they may have to settle for FG's when before they've scored seven, and sometimes they aren't going to score at all. Conversely to what the Chiefs think they need to win, I'm pretty sure the 49ers think if they can restrict Kansas to under 28, then they become favourites. And they are most certainly capable of doing that.

But, all that having been said, where I think this game will be won and lost is in whether Kansas can stop the 49ers run offence effectively enough to ;
a) mitigate the play action, and
b) force the 49ers to pass and allow more time on the clock for their own offence to score enough points to win.

Can they do that? They dealt with Henry really well in the Championship game but this is an entirely different, and more complex, run offence scheme than the Titans run. The motion and misdirection is on a whole new level with SF - it's a mentally tiring offence to defend against, because you have to keep focused throughout and not get distracted by all the bells and whistles that are put in there to do exactly that; distract you and force you into mental errors. It is also the most physically demanding offence in football - not just the O Line (though they are the living embodiment of physical) but the full back, the tight ends and even the wideouts are very, very physical when blocking. It's not as simple as 'tackle the running back' (whichever of the three that is, which is another issue by itself) because you have to see him and get to him first. The thing with that is it slows the pass rush, because blitzing against this kind of misdirection/trap plays is going to find you conceding 25+ yards on the floor, in chunks.

I'm not convinced the Chiefs D stands up throughout the 60 minutes - I think the 49ers will run it at least thirty times (they've won every time they've done that this season) and may well get it up into the 40s (they've done that five times alone this season - and against better run defences than Kansas). Eventually I see San Francisco keeping it close for three quarters and then nailing the victory on offence in the final quarter.

34-27 San Francisco, in an absolute thriller, with many ebbs and flows throughout.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Feb 2020, 10:45

Only ran it 22 times.... therein lies the problem.
Great game - I think the best team probably won but, I must say, there were two or three highly questionable calls that all went The Chiefs way. But that's probably being churlish - I'm pretty sure Mahomes would have found the way and the 49ers had the chance at the end and didn't get it done.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Feb 2020, 23:15

Part of me was concerned about the 9ers blowing leads as they did during the regular season. As you pointed out they abandoned their strength during the game. Their time management at the end of the first half could have possibly yielded points but they seemed unsure of what they wanted and by the time they realised they could score they were out of time. That call on Kittle was a little questionable but it also looked like maybe he didn't need to do it as he appeared to have the defender beat. One eam that blows leads vs a comeback team is usually going to end the way it did.

So not the outcome I wanted but it was a good game and KC deserved it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Feb 2020, 07:28

I actually have no problem with Shanahan's clock management at the end of the first half. He didn't want to stop the clock, go three and out and give the Chiefs any possibility of taking the lead before halftime. It was safe, but sensibly/understandably so. He said so himself.

Where I do have a real issue was when they ran for 5 on first down with 8 minutes to go (whilst still in the lead) and then, for whatever reason, threw two incompletions and gave Kansas the ball back with virtually 8 minutes and took no more time off the clock. And they had a second and five, on the back of a run. For crying out loud, run the damn thing again!! Shanahan said that at that point he wasn't worried about the clock(!) he just wanted a first down... to then chew the clock more!! That is not exactly joined up thinking there Kyle. That bit was eerily reminiscent of the Falcons collapse against the Pats where he, as O co-ordinator, kept throwing the ball when the Patriots were rolling inexorably towards victory.

I have to say though, that third and 15 pass from Mahomes to Hill - which was the game changer- really is a thing of beauty. To be able to throw the ball accurately for the 44 yards (measured), off your back foot, with the rush just about to ping you and on the back of two interceptions - that takes incredible skill and nuts, basically. Mahomes apparently requested that exact play too, so he was happy to put himself in the firing line (can you imagine if that had been intercepted?). I was also a beautifully scripted play - they had run the exact same play in the first half, the only difference being that Hill kept running the post, and the safety followed him. They then knew there would be masses of room outside to the touchline for Mahomes/Hill to play for. They ran the exact same play, but this time Hill feinted the post pattern again but then ran an out pattern. Virtually a gimme as long as the QB gets the pass anywhere in that vicinity. The rest is history.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Mar 2020, 13:53

Tom Brady has played his last game for the Patriots. :shock:
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Apr 2020, 13:12

So round 1 of the draft is over. How do you feel about your team?
I'm not overly happy we get Herbert and then give up pick 37 and the third round pick for a linebacker who would have been available at 37. Hey, its the Chargers, what else did I expect?
Herbert will sit behind Tyrod for at least half a season before it all goes tits up and then get chucked in and thrown under the bus.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Apr 2020, 13:15

Rodgers is mightily pissed about GB picking a QB in the first round....that's a nice cat among the pigeons right there.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Apr 2020, 13:30

never/ever wrote:Rodgers is mightily pissed about GB picking a QB in the first round....that's a nice cat among the pigeons right there.

I did have to smile. Bet Brett is also.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Apr 2020, 17:50

The Love draft is interesting.... you'd think they expect him to spend no more than a season or two on the bench.... so they're expecting Rodgers to be gone by the age of 38.... considering the Brady & Brees offseason pursuits.... it shows a lack of faith in Rodgers and/or a desire for the new coach to wipe the slate clean.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Apr 2020, 22:18

Diamond Dog wrote:The Love draft is interesting.... you'd think they expect him to spend no more than a season or two on the bench.... so they're expecting Rodgers to be gone by the age of 38.... considering the Brady & Brees offseason pursuits.... it shows a lack of faith in Rodgers and/or a desire for the new coach to wipe the slate clean.

It may also be retrospectively because of the role he played in Mike McCarthy's dismissal and the fact he did miss a number of games through injury in the last couple of seasons.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Apr 2020, 13:22

Bellichick says the Pats not drafting a QB wasn't 'by design'..... is there a Free Agent signing in the offing (or a trade)? Cam Newton?!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 May 2020, 09:50

Andy Dalton to back up Dak Prescott in Dallas? I bet Dak just loves that move!
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 May 2020, 11:38

Crazy stuff.
Just when I thought the Brady/Gronkowski-move was the highlight of the transfer season, here comes Jerry.....

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 03 May 2020, 12:35

He’s a viable back up if Dak gets injured. There’s no one else on the roster I believe. Dak will get paid.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 May 2020, 20:30

Jumper K wrote:He’s a viable back up if Dak gets injured. There’s no one else on the roster I believe. Dak will get paid.

I think so too - I know they had to use the Franchise tag on Cooper this year. But... Dalton is just a little too good for a starter to feel really comfortable with. An injury (which Prescott is due, if you look at the odds) and a month out... who knows?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 May 2020, 19:45

The great Hall-Of-Fame Coach Don Shula passed away yesterday. Still the only person to coach a team to a perfect season (the '72 Dolphins) and still more wins than Bellichick..indeed more wins than any other coach in the history of the game. RIP Coach Shula.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”