The Manchester City Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Rayge

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2017, 17:32

And I bet they're as pleased about the three clean sheets as the 15 goals
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Sep 2017, 08:50

Man City won their first six games last season. I wouldn't be luxuriating too much in your lofty present position, if I were you.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Sep 2017, 09:36

Darryl Strawberry wrote:City and United both have 13 points, 16 goals for and 2 against.

Going to be an interesting season.

Why? On the evidence so far it looks like it is shaping up to an eminently boring one.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Oct 2017, 02:36

They're already looking to be the most exciting side since The Invincibles of 2004 and it wouldn't surprise me if they go on to surpass them. Of course it's still early days and we know they're not the finished article, especially defensively, but I can't remember another side winning games so comprehensively as they're doing at the moment. A thrilling time to be a City fan for sure.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Oct 2017, 09:08

De Bruyne is the best midfielder in the Premier League since Scholes. I can't think of a player who can pass so decisively and brilliantly as he does.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Oct 2017, 15:03

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:City and United both have 13 points, 16 goals for and 2 against.

Going to be an interesting season.

Why? On the evidence so far it looks like it is shaping up to an eminently boring one.

I don't think today's game could be described as boring.

Individual games may be good, impressive, awe-inspiring etc, but in my opinion a season itself is completely uninteresting if it is a one-horse or two-horse race with, as Mod says, one "side winning games so comprehensively" (not that I'm saying that Mod feels the same way).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Oct 2017, 08:20

I may have been a bit harsh around the keeper, I accept. I'm still far from comvinced that they are 'sound' defensively, but at the moment, they're doing fine.

If I was a Man City fan I'd be very excited - they look to have taken that step up to the next level. But it's still very early in the season and (relatively) they and Chelsea are only three points different to last season at this stage. So there's a lot of football to be played yet - but enjoy the acclaim, your team has earnt it thus far.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 18 Oct 2017, 10:05

Ederson is going to be a great keeper. A team's defence and their confidence is built on the keeper - and if they're unsound or unsure, then it just transmits itself throughout the whole side. He's not 100% yet but he's already miles better than Hart or Bravo were.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Feb 2018, 20:26

I'm not sure what Schmeicel thought he was at today but that was embarrassing. But De Bruyne is sensational at the moment and there will be no shortage of takers if Aguerro does move on.

One criticism - do they have to all 'take one for the team' EVERY SINGLE TIME they lose possession? It is tedious and totally unnecessary.
Cocaine

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 07 Apr 2018, 22:01

I just about remember the Mike Doyle/Nobby Stiles era derbies of old, now they were tough games :lol:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Apr 2018, 00:53

K wrote:
K wrote:"Sterling makes wrong decision"

Will he ever learn?

He's scored loads of goals this season, but he's a liability too. This game should be done and dusted, but he misses 3 or 4 barn doors a game.

For me he's an obvious candidate who City could upgrade on and be even better next season. Sterling will never be world class.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 08 Apr 2018, 12:35

K wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
K wrote:
He's scored loads of goals this season, but he's a liability too. This game should be done and dusted, but he misses 3 or 4 barn doors a game.

For me he's an obvious candidate who City could upgrade on and be even better next season. Sterling will never be world class.

You're right, although it shows how ludicrous football has become when we need to upgrade a player who cost £49m. But by god he fucks up on a regular basis, and at important points too.

Agreed, City should have been at least 4 goals ahead at half time and the great comeback would never have happened. Thankfully the chances fell to Sterling :lol:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Apr 2018, 12:51

Let's face it, their problem (if they have one) isn't going forward. It's that, when actually asked to, they can't defend. People keep telling me Ottamendi has been a revelation this season - he certainly didn't look it yesterday, particularly when Pogba ambled past him and he just stood there, ball watching and invited him in on his blindside for his second goal.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Apr 2018, 15:09

Ederson's passing papers over the fact when it comes to the nitty gritty of being a keeper, he's shite.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Apr 2018, 17:16

Nope
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Apr 2018, 00:01

Dr Markus wrote:Ederson's passing papers over the fact when it comes to the nitty gritty of being a keeper, he's shite.

Hardly "shite", I think most people would think he's had a very good first season for them.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 06:02

Dr Markus wrote:Ederson's passing papers over the fact when it comes to the nitty gritty of being a keeper, he's shite.

Maybe City should sign Mignolet or Karius as his replacement?
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Apr 2018, 11:49

The Modernist wrote:

Hardly "shite", I think most people would think he's had a very good first season for them.

I'd take peadar Čech over him.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Apr 2018, 13:41

Diamond Dog wrote:

Maybe City should sign Mignolet or Karius as his replacement?

To be fair, they're both better keepers than Liverpool's 'Oh, calamity' defending would suggest. But of course not better than Ederson, to my mind the main reason they'll be champions this season

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Apr 2018, 13:42

Return to “Sporting Life”