£33 million for the (Brazilian) Benfica goalkeeper, it seems :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40080163
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jun 2017, 14:20

K wrote:34 years old so not a long term solution but he has excelled at Juve this season and Barça were daft to let him go.
Manchester City have approached Juventus over a move for Dani Alves, with Pep Guardiola prepared to offer the Brazil international a two-year contract as he steps up his recruitment drive for next season.

£5 million.

I can't see it as a good move - all the options they have to replace Sagna (who was also 34) etc... and they go and get 34 year old Alves... another 'non defender'.

Looks desperate to me.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Jun 2017, 18:30

Surprised city look like they're willing to sell Iheanacho. I like him, I would have him playing back up to Aguero for when he's rested or to play the league cups. Kid's just 20 years old.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jun 2017, 23:03

K wrote:Looks like were signing Sanchez...

Now if he has the bollocks to play him & Aguerro together... that could be exciting.
Cocaine

Modesty Forbids

Postby Modesty Forbids » 29 Jun 2017, 12:48

So, Claudio Bravo can make saves, provided he's facing internationals from the penalty spot...
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jun 2017, 13:23

I wouldn't count your chickens with Sanchez just yet. From what I hear, the club are extremely reluctant to sell to City. I know we've sold to you in the past, but that fact makes it less, rather than more, likely to happen because the club are keen to counter the image they have as a selling club whose players can be picked off by their domestic rivals.
It may still happen - especially if Sanchez becomes a stroppy c**t about it -but it's far from a formality.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jun 2017, 13:57

The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't count your chickens with Sanchez just yet. From what I hear, the club are extremely reluctant to sell to City. I know we've sold to you in the past, but that fact makes it less, rather than more, likely to happen because the club are keen to counter the image they have as a selling club whose players can be picked off by their domestic rivals.
It may still happen - especially if Sanchez becomes a stroppy c**t about it -but it's far from a formality.

His attitude near the end of the season would put me off slightly, also does his missus like Manchester?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jun 2017, 14:05

The Great Defector wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't count your chickens with Sanchez just yet. From what I hear, the club are extremely reluctant to sell to City. I know we've sold to you in the past, but that fact makes it less, rather than more, likely to happen because the club are keen to counter the image they have as a selling club whose players can be picked off by their domestic rivals.

His attitude near the end of the season would put me off slightly, also does his missus like Manchester?

With a massive wage increase, I'm sure his attitude will be fine! :D
I just don't think it'll be as easy to prise him from Arsenal as some City fans seem to believe.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jun 2017, 14:30

I just find it tough to trust a player (no matter how talented) who acts like a dick to get away from a club. It's like if he gets pissed off at man city, whose to say he won't do the same? He's not the first player to do this and he won't be the last, it's just I'd be a bit nervous about it if I was the buying club.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jun 2017, 14:32

The Great Defector wrote:I just find it tough to trust a player (no matter how talented) who acts like a dick to get away from a club. It's like if he gets pissed off at man city, whose to say he won't do the same? He's not the first player to do this and he won't be the last, it's just I'd be a bit nervous about it if I was the buying club.

With Ya Ya "Birthday Cake" Toure there already, they have plenty of experience of dealing with spoilt, immature children.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jun 2017, 15:25

Yeah..if players acting like primadonnas was a reason to stop a signing, then the big clubs would struggle to buy anyone.
Besides I don't think Sanchez has done anything too bad, he's thrown a few strops and rubbed up some people the wrong way, but nothing shocking that would prevent a club from buying him.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2017, 23:46

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/18/arsenal-alexis-sanchez-finances-contract-arsene-wenger

Don't say I didn't warn you Kal. ;)

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jul 2017, 16:11

So having just spent £50m on a right-back, City have decided the logical next step is to... spend £26m on another right-back.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 19 Jul 2017, 18:56

PENK wrote:So having just spent £50m on a right-back, City have decided the logical next step is to... spend £26m on another right-back.

They may need someone to supply crosses in the last twenty minutes.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 12:09

jimboo wrote:
PENK wrote:So having just spent £50m on a right-back, City have decided the logical next step is to... spend £26m on another right-back.

They may need someone to supply crosses in the last twenty minutes.

It's laughable isn't it. £76 million on the right back position, £35 million on a keeper, £52 million on the left back... that's £162 million so far for three positions...... :lol: And, the key thing is, I'm not aware of any of them being particularly noted for their defensive skills.... even the keeper!
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jul 2017, 14:35

It'll be fascinating to see how they adjust to the prem. Certainly a large transfer fee is no guarantee of success. Look at Mangala -he cost 40 million!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2017, 14:30

Mike Dean really is a joke - an absolute disgrace.
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Aug 2017, 22:41

It's the rules of the game.

A stupid rule, of course. Sterling is daft for celebrating that way, the powers that be are idiots for having the rule in the first place - but the ref can't be criticised for giving him a yellow.

For some of his other decisions, however...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 27 Aug 2017, 09:52

that rule has been in use up here for years. I think if it causes fans to spill over then it's an automatic yellow. of course the question then is why he didn't book every single player
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Aug 2017, 10:33

I guess because Sterling was the instigator as the scorer and the one who led the charge towards the fans?

It is a silly rule; the reasoning seems to be that it is a timewasting issue rather than a safety one, but it could be much better implemented and explained. For example just let the opposition kick off after a certain time has elapsed regardless of whether all the players are back in position...

Return to “Sporting Life”