The Reading FC Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The Reading FC Thread

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Mar 2013, 16:30

Just reading up - can't believe it was only 5 months ago he left Bolton. :shock:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Mar 2013, 20:18

Jeemo wrote:Di Canio is a fucking bomb scare waiting to happen. Badge kisser of the highest order. Behaved like a cunt at just about every team he played for. Doesn't take long for a "little problem" just about everywhere he goes. Its all about Paolo. I watched for a full season at Celtic, lots of brilliant football along with lots of huffs and unwillingnes to roll his sleeves up.

They loved him at West Ham.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Mar 2013, 20:20

Lord Rother wrote:
I just think Coyle is ridiculously under-rated and can't understand why he seems to be a forgotten man.

Rightly or wrongly, you're only as good as your last job and Coyle failed badly at Bolton.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Mar 2013, 20:21

Spec wrote:.

I like(d) him as a manager and would be happy to see him in charge of Reading. He has that experience of managing clubs in the championship (and taking them up) and the Premier league.

As did McDermott!

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Mar 2013, 20:48

The G Experience! wrote:
Spec wrote:.

I like(d) him as a manager and would be happy to see him in charge of Reading. He has that experience of managing clubs in the championship (and taking them up) and the Premier league.

As did McDermott!

My thoughts exactly. If they were serious about staying up at all costs, they left it too late. Now they have just lost the bloke who could get them back up.
Let's face it, going down this time is not as big a drama as last time, the premiership clubs are not circling like vultures over a handful of players like they were last time meaning that relegation was a squad disaster, so the club will not take as long to heal and rebuild.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 12 Mar 2013, 21:07

Do you think the new manager will be expected to keep them up, i mean it will be a big part of his hiring. Or will it be do what you can and the real work starts next season? I wouldn't pick Di canio to manage my team anyway, Coyle had a bad run but i think he deserves another chance before anyone dismisses him completely as a manager. If the owner picks the likes of Mark hughes then i'd be worried about the club in general never mind the footballing side.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Mar 2013, 21:45

Dr Markus wrote:Do you think the new manager will be expected to keep them up, i mean it will be a big part of his hiring. Or will it be do what you can and the real work starts next season? I wouldn't pick Di canio to manage my team anyway, Coyle had a bad run but i think he deserves another chance before anyone dismisses him completely as a manager. If the owner picks the likes of Mark hughes then i'd be worried about the club in general never mind the footballing side.

I genuinely think that they think that they can appoint someone to keep them up. They are wrong.
If they were looking at the longer term and assuming that Reading will go down, they would stick with McDermott (who got us up in the first place) and spend a bit of money.
To be honest, I am confused by it all. I don't know what they are thinking or doing and I am not convinced they do either.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2013, 21:59

It has surprised me how absolutely convinced the Reading fans at work are that they are already down....I realise they haven't been playing great football but they are still well within striking range of survival, if things go their way. And it could - it's not impossible to imagine the other clubs dropping points and Reading doing enough. The fatalistic approach bewilders me abit, I must confess.

As I said, I'm not convinced Di Canio is a long term solution. But I seriously think he could kick a few arses into gear and get the maximum out of a squad that is (probably) a bit down at present. Atkins, Coyle etc may need a little more time - the sheer unpredictability of Di Canio could be the spark to actually save the season.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Mar 2013, 22:08

Nikki Gradual wrote:To be honest, I am confused by it all. I don't know what they are thinking or doing and I am not convinced they do either.

I'm not so sure about that.

I think they just thought (after home losses to 2 relegation rivals) that we had zero chance of staying up under Brian McD and that there would at least be a better than zero chance of a new manager having an immediate impact and turning things around.

Better to try that than do nothing (in their minds I suspect).

As I have said before, I like BM hugely, and think he could have taken us back up next season, however, as an armchair fan who prefers to give time, money and attendance to Windsor in the Combined Counties League, the only thing that would entice me back to the Madejski Stadium is if we started playing quality football that warms the cockles of the heart.

That too, was never likely to happen under McDermott.

So although I'm disappointed and a little saddened at the dismissal of a good man, I remain mildly optimistic that a new appointment will give me some of what I like about the beautiful game. But it'll be in the Championship next season, of that I have almost no doubt.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Mar 2013, 22:27

Diamond Dog wrote:It has surprised me how absolutely convinced the Reading fans at work are that they are already down....I realise they haven't been playing great football but they are still well within striking range of survival, if things go their way. And it could - it's not impossible to imagine the other clubs dropping points and Reading doing enough. The fatalistic approach bewilders me abit, I must confess.

That's just the Reading way. It's what makes us generally nicer and better than everyone else (except at playing football).

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Mar 2013, 23:30

The G Experience! wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Di Canio is a fucking bomb scare waiting to happen. Badge kisser of the highest order. Behaved like a cunt at just about every team he played for. Doesn't take long for a "little problem" just about everywhere he goes. Its all about Paolo. I watched for a full season at Celtic, lots of brilliant football along with lots of huffs and unwillingnes to roll his sleeves up.

They loved him at West Ham.

Yes. That's why I said just about every team. Rather than every team.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 14 Mar 2013, 20:45

It's Ok everyone, Reading are going to beat Man U at the weekend. I dreamed it last night. It was either 2:1 or 2:0 to the Royals. The main talking point of the game was when Noel Hunt scored the greatest volley anyone has ever seen, but it went so quickly that it burst through the net and no one could tell if was inside or outside the post so the goal got disallowed.
Normally, if I have a dream like that, I might be tempted to pop down the bookies and chance a few quid... but not this time.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Mar 2013, 20:53

:D

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 14 Mar 2013, 21:05

To be fair, Noel Hunt scored some beauties for Dunfermline.

When I say scored some beauties, I obviously mean shinned a couple of sitters in from an offside position and got booked for wild over-celebration...
Just a penitent man

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2013, 19:51

Well, that's the best football we've played for a long while. Retaining possession, passing the ball etc.? Surely not.

But with absolutely zero penetration.

Interesting that you could hear Dolan's instructions from the touchline - "keep the ball" seemed to be the most common one; and we did. Well done him for getting his ideas across to the players in such a short time and in what must have been difficult circumstances.

Could / should have had a penalty when Vidic pushed Robson Kanu over. Unfortunately the game was little old Reading against the might of Man Utd. And it was being played at Old Trafford. So there wasn't a chance in hell it was going to be given.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Apr 2013, 20:29

Good grief.

All over it might be but still an opportunity for McCarthy to put in what was one of the greatest goalkeeping displays ever seen.

A future England No 1.

No doubt about it.

I just hope Reading can get another year or 3 out of him before one of the Top 5 come calling.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 21 Jun 2013, 11:53

Firstly Wayne Bridge a couple of weeks ago and now former Real Madrid and Everton player, 26yo Royston Drenthe has signed for Reading.

Has had a rep as a bad boy in the past, but has given great credit and sincere thanks to David Moyes for setting him on a better path as a sportsman and human being.

Could be absolutely bloody unstoppable in the Championship if his head is right.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Jul 2013, 20:57

Category 1 Academy status awarded.

That was always Anton's 1st priority and to have achieved it so soon is excellent news.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Sep 2013, 09:58

96th minute winner last night against Leeds and ex-manager Brian McDermott.

Nobody knows where he got 7 and a half minutes added time from. but fair play, last year we wuz robbed by an extra minute (amongst another blatant injustice) against Arsenal, so rough with smooth.

Not playing well, but grinding out some results - I have faith that Adkins, whose teams have always played decent football, will get them sorted soon. It takes a while to change style so the fans must be patient.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Sep 2013, 23:41

4th win in 5, decent run - gradually getting better, lots of clean sheets.

QPR's prima donnas won't fancy it so much when the clocks change and the temperature drops.

Return to “Sporting Life”