Football Manager

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Football Manager

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Oct 2011, 15:16

Kept Blackpool in the Championship, but only just - we had to beat already promoted Cardiff away and hope that Brighton lost at home to QPR, which they did in the last minute.

The 2021/22 season didn't start at all well - 8 defeat in 10 games - but a 4-0 thrashing of Preston seemed to turn the cover. However Sheffield United, recently relegated from the Premiership, headhunted me and also quadrupled my wages. They've an old squad with some talent but I can't see us getting promoted. Signed 36 year old Wayne Rooney on a free transfer.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Oct 2012, 15:43

I finally brought my Football Manager career to an end this weekend just gone. Committed the save game to the external hard drive, uninstalled the game completely from my mac and sold the disc on ebay for £1.

It was quite a career though.

Started out at Ebbsfleet, taking them up into League 2 at the third time of asking, and eventually into League 1 a couple of seasons later. Best players – midfield dynamo and captain Jordan Hibbert, silky Cypriot striker Christakis Neftoyou and stalwart centreback Neil Yadolahi. Won a playoff final at Wembley, beating Cambridge 4-2 in extra-time after having a man sent off.

After six years at Ebbsfleet I was on the lookout for a better job and refused to renew my contract. However the board saw through my bluff and let me go. After 5 months of unemployment I ended up at arch-rivals Gillingham, who were floundering at the bottom of League 1. Guided them out of relegation on the last day of the season, but the next season was problematic with injuries and I resigned just one month before another Wembley appearance in the Johnstones Paint trophy final.

It was then over the channel to Amiens for a season in the French National League. Promoted to Ligue 2 at the first time of asking, but with promotion came new owners, and guess what, they didn’t like the cut of my jib and promptly sacked me despite the success.

Five months of kicking my heels was over after Blackpool came calling. Recently relegated to League 1, I hauled them back into the Championship in my first full season in charge. We struggled there though, and I was lucky to keep them up. Sheffield United though were calling, as they were floundering too in the relegation zone and seemed to like me enough to offer me a job. The Blades had the potential to be promoted too. My fulsome 4-4-2 with the rangey Giacomo Buonoventura in midfield were too good for most sides a year later and we were promoted as champions, my first piece of silverware – Wayne Rooney seeing out his playing career at 36 with the winning goal on the final day at Brammall Lane. We also had a sniff of glory in the League Cup, only to be defeated 5-4 on aggregate by Everton in the semi-final. I kept United in the Premiership too – mostly with the help of an excellent Romanian goalkeeper and Italian fullback Andrea Fabbro.

After three good years at Sheffield United, my first big job – Tottenham. They had a superb world-class forward called Miguel Angel Riesgo who scored amazing goals for fun – in fact it was a quality side, with Nat Chalobah in defence, plus some excellent players out wide. My first taste of Champions League football came a season later, but it was short-lived, with Spurs being knocked out in the second round to Juventus. At one point in March I was leading the Premiership but let it slip to what was at the time a very dominant Man City side and my failure to win cost me my job – despite finishing fourth and qualifying for the CL, I was sacked.

It would be 18 months before another job came – this time from Italian side Torino. They had an ok side, with a quality dutch forward and an experienced defence. I would turn them into a great team within three seasons, helped by the signing of one Uruguyuan defender Fernando Camejo, who was 6’ 7” and an absolute beast to boost - £7 million from Swiss side Basle. We came 2nd in Serie A and I won my second trophy, the Coppa Italia. It was back to London after that – with Chelsea knocking at the door.

Chelsea was where the success came – helped by signing Camejo immediately from Torino for a whopping £40 million. I won the Premiership four seasons in a row, establishing a decade-long dominance similar to that of Shankly at Liverpool. We won everything in sight domestically, but the Champions League would evade me until the last year of the job in 2034, when I resigned to take over the England job.

This is where I began to lose a little bit of interest in the game – the international part of FM is not particularly satisfactory, but to be realistic I didn’t have a domestic job as well. In four years as national manager England didn’t lose a single competitive match, winning Euro 2036 at a stroll, smashing Spain 4-1 in the final, with Spurs forward Terry Edwards (who I’d tried to sign from Man United when at Spurs) scoring a whopping 13 goals in the tournament. We struggled a bit at the World Cup 2038 due to me losing two key players prior to the tournament, but won 2-1 in extra time against Holland, courtesy of a goal from a Chelsea lad Nathan Bartlett.

Unbeaten in four years, I resigned to return to domestic management – this time with Manchester United – my last big job. My task was to overturn the dominance of old club Chelsea – first task was to sign the lad Bartlett from Chelsea for £37 million. Helped by a £400 million warchest from the owners, I put together a side composed of potential and experience – and within 3 years we’d won the treble – I even managed to snaffle the only major trophy eluding me, the Europa League.

In 2044 I resigned from United having won everything there was and content that a new dynasty was ready to flower. My final job was again in international management, taking the USA (who had actually won the World Cup in 2030) to the World Cup. We had a poor side and qualification was messy, including a humbling 0-0 draw in Cuba, but acquitted ourselves well enough at WC 2046, reaching the quarter-finals before losing to France 2-1. Aged 72, I retired.

My overall best XI from my career

GK – Fabian Bastin – Belgian GK signed for £1 million during my time at Man United. Once saved 5 penalties in a row.

DR – Jorge – Brazilian monster of a right back signed for Chelsea who could play anywhere across the back. Worth £26 million at one stage.

DL – Andrea Zola – Italian leftback for Ebbsfleet and Blackpool. Averaged about 7.3 every season.

DC – Fernando Camejo – Uruguayan giant CB who once scored 14 goals in a season and was sent off twice in one season for diving. Headcase. Captain.

DC – James Burton – The 21st century Bobby Moore. Won the WC with England and ended his career at Man United with me.

MR – David Duah – Ghanian right winger signed from some Saudi club for £3 million and worth £30 million a season later. Habit of scoring vital goals.

ML – Refik Dogan – Turkish left midfielder who scored a hat-trick in the FA Cup Final aged 19 for Man United. Loved scoring spectacular goals against Man City.

MC – Jordan Hibbert – midfield enforcer for Ebbsfleet – without him I probably wouldn’t have been promoted from the Blue Square Premier

MC – Marcus Dawson - Silky playmaker signed from Hearts for £6 million to Chelsea in my first season there. England legend, although missed WC glory through injury.

FC – Miguel Angel Riesgo – The first world-class player I had – absolute dynamite for one season.

FC – Terry Edwards. England legend, scoring 114 goals in 140 appearances. Scored 13 goals at Euro 2036 at the age of 34.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 02 Oct 2012, 16:52

:lol:

Loved that. I'm getting vicarious thrills just reading about it, even though I haven't played the game in years.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Oct 2012, 18:44

Fantastic. I and a mate used to spend hours just chatting about players we'd signed and games we'd won.

I have the 2011 version as my current one, I don't play it as much as I used to but often have it going while I'm online or listening to music or reading something light - I can do it in chapter breaks or something and then read while the matches are going on.

To get round the "big team or not" problem I usually set up a dual-manager game; my teams of choice are Roma and Oldham.

On my current game it's January 2022.
Roma are probably the best team in the world, and I keep managing to find top youngsters to keep it going (without just resorting to buying Brazilians and Argentinians, either). I've won Serie A seven of the last eight years and have three Champions Leagues in that time too.
It took me three years to get Oldham into the Premiership and another four to win it, which I did twice on the trot; I only managed third the year after that but this year am top with only five points dropped in 24 games. Man Utd aren't far behind, though, and I have eight first-team players out injured including three of my four best midfielders. No Champions League glory for the Latics yet, but each year I think it could be my year and if the injuries clear up I have my best squad yet.
If the two teams meet - which they have done in the Champions League group stage - I just play the game as normal and see who wins.

I might give the new one a try. I remember reading an article about it somewhere a while ago which expressed the hope that one year they'd just release a data update instead of a whole new game and spend the extra time working on fixing some of the problems, like the AI's dodgy approach to transfers and contracts (you're a striker who's spent five years in the reserves, playing about four first-team games a season despite scoring every time? New multi-million pound contract for you!) or the erratic generation of new players (as I said above, on the 2011 version I have it seems there are five or six Brazilians and Argentinians for every good European player to emerge).
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Qube

Postby Qube » 02 Oct 2012, 20:44

I stopped playing a couple of months ago after picking it up last Christmas. Ultimately I ended up buying Mrs Qube a laptop of her own just so I could play FM without being yelled at constantly...

Eventually took Oxford to premier league and even champions league glory! Took about 10 seasons.

Another shout out to Nat Chalobah who was great for me!

I wrote this back in April: http://someothersuckersparade.blogspot. ... -have.html

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 May 2013, 15:09

I just installed FM13 last week. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm limiting myself to two matches a day - and have started with Tonbridge in the Blue Square Southern. Top of the league at the start of December!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Jun 2013, 12:36

One of the things I've always liked about FM is the "alternate world" that you get :

So at the start of the 2016-17 season..

Chelsea just won a Prem, League Cup and Europa League treble with former Barca midfielder Luis Enrique in charge..

Man United are managed by Jose Mourinho and just won the Champions League.

Arsenal are managed by Mexican Javier Aguirre

Mancini is still in charge at Man City

Roberto Martinez is now manager of Liverpool

and David Moyes is in charge of Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship..

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 03 Sep 2014, 00:14

I got a cheap copy of this. It's too bloody complicated. I'm a bit overwhelmed so it's just been sitting there on my laptop unopened for the past month.
king of the divan

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Oct 2018, 12:55

So I’m looking for contact details to someone who us helping us with a delivery at a school in the south of Stockholm and as I scroll down the staff list I suddenly find TONTON MOUKOKO ZOLA
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 05 Oct 2018, 13:31

Woah!

A true bonefide CM legend, along with Andres Sigporsson.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Oct 2018, 15:49

Now THAT was a player!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 05 Oct 2018, 16:21

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Oct 2018, 16:29

Cherno Samba was a data error

:o
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Qube

Postby Qube » 08 Oct 2018, 16:52

This guy was immense in Championship Manager 2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artur_Petrosyan

Return to “Sporting Life”