Everton

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
WG Kaspar

Re: Everton

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Dec 2014, 18:56

German Dave wrote:Evertonians are always reasonable. We are gentlemen.

This is very true.
I run out of talent

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 15 Dec 2014, 18:49

hopefully, the toffees will get their season back on track tonight. qpr have an appalling away record.

and what a wonderful man martinez is. such dignity.

'skope

Postby 'skope » 16 Dec 2014, 17:07

as predicted, but surprised by the booing from the goodison faithful.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Dec 2014, 17:23

I didn't watch the game but was told that we didn't play particularly well. The Goodison faithful is a beacon of politeness (probably) and would not react thus unless their expectations were not met. It is true that the standard was somehow raised last year but am curious as to what might have 'caused such a reaction even in game where substandard play was accompanied by a very comfortable victory.
I run out of talent

'skope

Postby 'skope » 16 Dec 2014, 17:34

WG Kaspar wrote:I didn't watch the game but was told that we didn't play particularly well. The Goodison faithful is a beacon of politeness (probably) and would not react thus unless their expectations were not met. It is true that the standard was somehow raised last year but am curious as to what might have 'caused such a reaction even in game where substandard play was accompanied by a very comfortable victory.

apparently, the pass-back to the goalie and refusal to play a more direct approach (or plan B as it's currently known), when needed, irks the ungrateful scousers.

i suppose it does highlight the point that trying to emulate barcelona, doesn't always equal good football when you're not playing to your player's strengths.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Dec 2014, 11:44

Yes it would have made so much more sense to start hoofing the ball up top, run the risk of losing possession and alter that which has got you to the position of 3-0 up.

I can see why they were upset.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

'skope

Postby 'skope » 20 Dec 2014, 22:14

'they' will be fuming after today's performance, peter.

hopefully, you will be able to offer some blue and white tinted solace.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Dec 2014, 09:46

That's the first time this season where we have just capitulated all over the pitch - a poor performance all round.

I'm afraid Dustin is increasingly showing signs of falling foul of old father time.....which, at 36, shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I discussed this with Theo at the last JU - we simply aren't as effective a team with Eto'o playing. It's not his fault, but he spoils the balance of the team and we have to move players (Barkley & Naismith in particular) to positions where they are far less dangerous. I hope Martinez gets his head around that soon because this is now nearly 2 months since we've played well - of course he should be given time (before Adam starts calling for his head again) and I think he'll get it back. But it is becoming a concern.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2014, 10:36

Aging players could be a concern here, DD's mentioned Distin but you could also add Barry, certainly Et'o (still a very good finisher but nothing like the player of a few years back) and maybe even Jagielka who has looked a bit off the pace for the last year or so.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Dec 2014, 10:45

The G Experience! wrote:Aging players could be a concern here, DD's mentioned Distin but you could also add Barry, certainly Et'o (still a very good finisher but nothing like the player of a few years back) and maybe even Jagielka who has looked a bit off the pace for the last year or so.

Barry I think is fine - first game back yesterday and he looks fine. Jagielka yes - him and Distin are looking vulnerable. My concern with Eto'o isn't fitness - it's that playing him unbalances us. He isn't a number 10, yet that that seems to be where Martinez wants to play him ....it throws Naismith, Barkley and Lukaku out - and makes our full backs less effective going forward too.

We are missing McCarthy too, obviously.
Cocaine

'skope

Postby 'skope » 21 Dec 2014, 12:57

no mention of not having a plan b? bobby doesn't seem to want to change from the passing game he favours. clearly other teams are sussing out the toffee's tactics and whilst the passing style may look good on the eye when it's working, it certainly doesn't when it's not. why doesn't he switch to the long ball when things aren't working out? that big lump lukaka seems well suited to that style. quite telling that martinez didn't make a single change during the game. the arrogance of the man beggars belief.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Dec 2014, 14:30

:lol:
Twat.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Jan 2015, 21:23

Barkley to MCFC for £45 million...

A few reliable sources seem to be indicating that this has got legs. Thoughts? Would certainly fund a few more moves, especially if the Coleman to Man United for £25 million rumour is true as well.

'skope

Postby 'skope » 05 Jan 2015, 07:09

if they can get anywhere near £45m for him they should snap city's hand off. seems a bit injury-prone and, if the rumours are true, is currently unhappy with martinez. they should fight tooth and nail to keep hold of coleman though, defence is an area which needs strengthening not weakening.

my concern would be how well martinez spends the money. the toffees simply cannot afford to make the same mistakes as spurs and liverpool in the transfer market.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 05 Jan 2015, 08:25

'skope wrote:if they can get anywhere near £45m for him they should snap city's hand off. seems a bit injury-prone and, if the rumours are true, is currently unhappy with martinez. they should fight tooth and nail to keep hold of coleman though, defence is an area which needs strengthening not weakening.

my concern would be how well martinez spends the money. the toffees simply cannot afford to make the same mistakes as spurs and liverpool in the transfer market.

Callum McManaman and Sean Maloney would be ideal replacements.
Fishstick selling fuck

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jan 2015, 12:03

Toby wrote:Barkley to MCFC for £45 million...

A few reliable sources seem to be indicating that this has got legs. Thoughts? Would certainly fund a few more moves, especially if the Coleman to Man United for £25 million rumour is true as well.

Sam Wallace must need to pay off his Xmas credit card bill. :roll:
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Jan 2015, 13:15

'skope wrote:if they can get anywhere near £45m for him they should snap city's hand off. seems a bit injury-prone and, if the rumours are true, is currently unhappy with martinez. they should fight tooth and nail to keep hold of coleman though, defence is an area which needs strengthening not weakening.

Spurs haven't made any particular mistakes in the transfer market since Adebayor. They are in the black over the last five or six, years and have pursued a policy of buying young talent with a fairly guaranteed sell-on value as part of a long-term strategy of getting the stadium paid for up front. They may drop money on Soldado, sure, but he was their only over-25 buy in the last few years and came with a great goalscoring reputation. Hardly Spurs fault that he lost that form almost immediately
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

'skope

Postby 'skope » 05 Jan 2015, 13:34

i'd be amazed if spurs recouped half of what they paid for lamela if they were to put him up for sale. same goes for paulinho and others i can't even remember the names of. i think ericksson was the only good bit of business they did in that transfer window from hell.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Jan 2015, 21:31

'skope wrote:i'd be amazed if spurs recouped half of what they paid for lamela if they were to put him up for sale. same goes for paulinho and others i can't even remember the names of. i think ericksson was the only good bit of business they did in that transfer window from hell.

Chadli is useful too, gave Chelsea a lot of problems the other day. And Lamela had too many injuries to settle. He's showing signs of his talent now, though still looks well short of £30m.

But yeah, most of the rest were bobbins. Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jan 2015, 21:43

Maybe lukaku's equaliser will be this generation's Adrian heath moment.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Return to “Sporting Life”